'Once Upon A Time' Recap: David's Memory Returns & It's Bad News For Mary Margaret

Sun, December 4, 2011 9:11pm EST by 16 Comments
once upon a time 1x06
Courtesy of ABC (4)

Looks like we’ll have to wait a little longer to see David & Mary Margaret find their happily ever after!

What would a fairy tale romance be without a third party determined to keep the happy couple apart? On the Dec. 4 episode of Once Upon A Time, Regina (Lana Parrilla) made it her personal mission to keep David (Josh Dallas) from being with Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin.) And her job was easier than she thought, because David started to get his memory back — and he decided that being with Kathryn (Anastasia Griffith) is the “right” thing to do.

And while David’s life in Storybrooke is certainly complicated, it’s child’s play compared to his royal soap opera going on in the fairy tale world.

As it turns out, “James” wasn’t the original Prince Charming. He had a twin brother who was sold by his poor family to a king, a deal orchestrated by — you guessed it — Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle). James took his brother’s place after he was killed in battle, then was forced into an engagement with King Midas’ daughter Abigail (aka the fairy tale version of Kathryn). Now we know why know why James looked so miserable the last time we saw him with her!

Meanwhile, Emma’s (Jennifer Morrison) first night shift led to an interesting discovery — specifically that Sheriff Graham (Jamie Dornan) is bumping uglies with the mayor! She caught him mid-walk of shame, and rightfully took him to task.

The episode ended with a skeevy Dr. Whale (David Anders) taking advantage of a vulnerable Mary Margaret in the café. Even though we all know she’ll end up with David, it still makes me the saddest to see what she’s going through.

It looks like next week’s episode is going to be bananas. Not only do we finally get to see more of the Evil Queen, but Sheriff Graham also starts to remember his fairy tale roots. Oh, and a major characters dies. That too.

OK, it’s theory time! Who do you think is going to die next week? Will Emma ever buy herself a third jacket? And even though he’s dead in the fairy tale world, could James’ twin brother have a Storybrooke counterpart? Drop a comment with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for all things Once Upon A Time

Natalie

Posted at 11:07 PM on December 5, 2011

I kinda doubt it but maybe Jimminey Cricket will die, but i hope not he seems like a nice person… but who ever it is i will be sad :(

Victoria Swan

Posted at 6:31 PM on December 5, 2011

I don’t know, maybe its true that David will die because it could be that in stroybrooke he’s not James, , and then we find out the real prince charming is alive and looking for Mary… though I’m not really convinced with this idea it could be, or my other guess is the big bad wolf, but they said that it was a “major character” the one who’s gonna die so the only one that comes to mind is David, because the Dr is not one of the main characters.. isn’t he?

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 10:27 AM on December 5, 2011

Ha ha – we totally made fun of the jacket, as well!

Interesting turn to have Emma discover the Sheriff and the Mayor so quickly, so it will be fun to see what she does with it. Disappointing about David and Mary Margaret, but it’s still really early in the season so they’ll have their chance!

Check out our full recap on bitchstolemyremote.com here: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-8f

Adriana

Posted at 10:26 AM on December 5, 2011

I’m sooooooooooooo nervous!
Since the begginig of the show the relationship between emma and sheriif was the most interesting (main story aside) for me!I always waitin it to explode and now there’s a huge possibility that it will never happen!please please don’t kill sheriff!but all clues lead to him!in ep. 1×08 “desperate souls” Emma announces her candidacy for public office!although i heard some very good theories!one said that ruby or dr. whale will die since at the end of the promo there’s red iding hood and the big bad wolf and dr.whale must be the wolf.anyway maybe sheriif will kill dr.whale and as a result he will be forced to leave the forces!

elimacfly1

Posted at 6:10 AM on December 5, 2011

The Sheriff’s going to buy it (I think) next week. How can Regina let him live after he recovers his memory? Ah ha – but think about this : that will leave the Sheriff position open to Emma, and she’ll have more power than ever in StoryBrooke to really get into other people’s lives and change things. This is what I’m betting anyway.

janis BT

Posted at 2:55 AM on December 5, 2011

I was really waiting for this episode and like every other series, you get to hold your breath and then sigh at the end of the series, I want them to (James & Mary Margarete) to get back together…agggg…when will that be????…

I wonder who’s gonna die on the 7 episode?? I hope its the doctor lol….

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:49 AM on December 5, 2011

I guess we have to remember that, as long as the curse is active, no one gets a happy ending :(

knotes

Posted at 1:09 AM on December 5, 2011

thats it i bet it is gonna be granny….doesnt she get eaten in the fairy tale.
idk about the sheriff, we know the evil queen cant be with her love for some reason in fairytale world. hmmm
i wonder if thats why because he is dead, very interesting theory
too cute to leave :D
my vote is for granny

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:52 AM on December 5, 2011

You know what? Granny is actually a really good guess… especially if the Sheriff’s fairy tale counterpart is really the Big Bad Wolf, as many viewers have speculated.

Aubri

Posted at 12:54 AM on December 5, 2011

David made me really upset after he led mary margaret on like that and then he goes back to his wife. I honestly don’t think he’s going to die though. I really think it’s the sheriff.

Lisa

Posted at 11:32 PM on December 4, 2011

If James twin brother is dead then he can’t have a StoryBrooke counterpart. If you’re dead in fairytale then you’re dead in StoryBrooke. But you can die in Storybrooke and still be shown in fairytale land.

Abbey

Posted at 10:15 PM on December 4, 2011

I dont like where this show is going that wicked witch is getting on my last f**king nerves. & what’s up with that sheriff dude why is he f**king around with the witch. I’m in love with Jimmy the cricket, he’s the only one in that town who has stand up to the witch other than Emma… David is so f**king stupid he has fallen right in the witch’s plan. Emma need to start playing her role & start changing things I’m sick & tired of waiting.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:46 PM on December 4, 2011

Wow, sounds like you really hate Regina ;)

I agree, though, that Emma has barely been doing anything lately. It looks like a whole lot’s going to change after next week’s episode. I think you’ll be satisfied :)

Tahleen

Posted at 9:39 PM on December 4, 2011

Maybe David will die, only for us to find out he had been replaced by the old prince guy? Or maybe he’ll fake his death to get away from Kathryn.

I hope Sheriff Graham doesn’t die. He’s cute.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:47 PM on December 4, 2011

Haha, yeah, I don’t think anyone wants the Sheriff dead.

Interesting thought about David and the twin.

I hope it’s not a really lame character that no one cares about… like Grannie.

Margaret

Posted at 10:44 PM on December 5, 2011

Here’s what I think: Granny will die based on the wolf in the promo. It’s enough to affect main characters, like Ruby, but not so much to get rid of someone the audience loves, like the Sheriff. Plus I think the Sheriff is DEFINITELY the huntsman from Snow White – especially after that one shot where he’s taking Snow White out into the woods. It makes sense because in the story, the huntsman is loyal to the queen but frees Snow White and the parallel in Storybrook is that the Sheriff is loyal to Regina (sleeping with her), but not always (ie hiring Emma as part of sheriff’s dept).