'X Factor' Recap: Melanie Amaro Is The One To Watch On 'Michael Jackson' Week

Thu, December 1, 2011 4:33am EST by 32 Comments
Melanie Amaro X Factor

Nearly all of the contestants — including my favorites Josh Krajcik and Rachel Crow — bombed this week, leaving Melanie Amaro to shine

This week on The X Factor, the contestants tried to pay homage to the late Michael Jackson by butchering singing his hits. Unfortunately, nearly every singer hit below the mark, which felt incredibly awkward considering Michael’s family — including his three children, Blanket, Paris and Prince — were sitting in the audience. Thankfully, the Jacksons were a diplomatic group and had nothing but positive things to say about the show, although the bored expressions on their faces spoke volumes. In fact, the performances were so painful, I’ve included the only one worth watching after the jump, just so you don’t have to sit through all of them if you haven’t already. You’re welcome.

Josh Krajcik: Last week’s wonder boy started the show off with a major rock ‘n’ roll number that included fire, cages and loud music. Ultimately, it was a lot of racket to my ears and eyes. I’m one of Josh’s biggest fans, but this didn’t do it for me. “As a spectacle…it was great. However, you were over=produced. You got lost in all the choreography. This is not you on stage. This is what Nicole wants to be,” Simon said. “I think it was your weakest performance yet.” I agreed with Simon.

Astro: After his stint a couple weeks ago, I know many viewers (my grandparents included) threatened to stop watching the show if he stayed in the competition. However, I still maintain he’s one of the most talented contestants on the show — even with the attitude. Plus, since he freaked out, Astro, 14, has been on his best behavior. As much as I enjoyed his rap to “Black or White,” Michael’s kids seemed bored to tears. Meanwhile, the judges ate it up. “I think you could win this competition,” Paula Abdul raved.

Drew: At first I thought Simon was purposefully sacrificing Drew by having her sing “Billie Jean” while sitting in a chair under a spotlight, but by the end it grew on me. It was a little boring, but haunting — and it had Simon on his feet. “It pains me to say this, but I liked it,” L.A. Reid said, complimenting the teen. “The whole chair thing, I don’t understand that. Simon, I’m sorry. You sounded beautiful. It’s exactly what I expected. You’re playing it safe with her,” Nicole complained. “Please do an up-tempo!” Paula begged. PLEASE. ZZzzzzz.

Side note: Is Steve Jones a robot?

Rachel Crow: Rachel sang “Can You Feel It?” And to answer her question, no, I didn’t feel it — and neither did anyone else. This is the first time I felt like Rachel truly bombed. “This is the only time that I’ve watched you and couldn’t believe you were having a good time,” L.A. said. “This song didn’t give you justice…it’s time to get back to what YOU want to do,” Paula said, diplomatically. Two toes down.

Marcus Canty: There’s no denying Marcus is a mega performer. He can sing, dance and back flip with the best of them. However, his performances never really stick with me. He should be on Broadway. Or in Las Vegas. Or somewhere he can entertain on a large scale, but just not on my TV screen every week. Overall, he’s not my favorite. Judging from Michael’s kids’ disinterested expressions, he wasn’t theirs either.

Chris Rene: In the package, L.A. said he just needed “the one performance,” and while I don’t think Chris’ rendition of “I’ll Be There” was “THE ONE,” it wasn’t half bad. Looking like Kenickie from Grease with his slicked back hair, Chris sang with heart, but not necessarily great pitch. The rap was definitely the strongest part of the song.

(Ugh. I’m sick of Michael Jackson week. These performances are just embarrassing.)

Melanie Amaro: As bizarre as it was that Melanie suddenly acquired an accent during last week’s shocking episode, it actually sets her apart from everyone else. Now she’s memorable. Her performance tonight was brilliant and the only one worth watching all night. “You were amazing and maybe the best of the night,” L.A. said. You think, L.A.? Duh. At this point, I think it’s Melanie FTW (for the win).

What did you think of Michael Jackson night? Did you find the vast majority of the performances to be sub par? Who do you think is getting the boot tomorrow? Sound off below!

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

jamie h

Posted at 10:57 PM on December 1, 2011

“two toes down” – that’s hilarious. I love this recap, Kirstin and I totally agree on all accounts.

chance72

Posted at 8:53 PM on December 1, 2011

I told all of u astro was gone.finally i dont have to be disgusted anymore.debi.what happened to those 118,000 followers?????ur so stupid.im glad he is gone.hahaha.

Sarah

Posted at 5:37 PM on December 1, 2011

One thing I loved about these shows is that you try to get these contestant to try to step outside of the box and do something that they may not be comfortable with. Most of them have done that on this show.. all except Astro. I believe Astro either needs to try something new…. step out of the raping for a second or get off the damn show. I want to see if he actually can sing!!!

trish

Posted at 4:58 PM on December 1, 2011

I think that Astro, needs to go ……..wayyy too much rap !! too much attitude !! He is not the x factor ……

Dennis

Posted at 1:20 PM on December 1, 2011

This whole show has been a train wreck, and MJ week was the worst so far. I always kick myself for wasting the two hours every week, so the best thing about this week was that it was only 90 minutes. Hard to make Idol look good, but X, Factor does it.

Jo

Posted at 11:57 AM on December 1, 2011

ASTRO WHO??????????????????????????????

Kris

Posted at 11:28 AM on December 1, 2011

Thank you for pointing out the issue with Steve Jones. My husband and I just crack up each week watching him trying to host and robot is a great description of how he interacts with the contestants and judges. He’s nice to look at and that’s about it. I hope they pick a new judge for next season.

I like all of the remaining contestants, but based solely on last night’s performances. I think Marcus and Josh should be in the bottom 2.

Sandy

Posted at 12:29 PM on December 1, 2011

After watching Steve Jones week after week I will never complain about Ryan Seacrest again! You go Melanie – you blow me away every time you sing.

martha

Posted at 11:15 AM on December 1, 2011

who like some one talking all time can he sing any songs asto has to go or i am going to stop tuning in

Jm

Posted at 11:08 AM on December 1, 2011

ASTRO should go. Paula says he could win it!! What the hell is she on. The kid won’t sing and make his own songs. His own words,, hell if they so t say what song. He is suppose to sing, I would never know what the hell he was saying or trying to sing. I don’t think he could even sing at all.

leah

Posted at 10:50 AM on December 1, 2011

God please get rid of that ASTRO kid!!!! SO ANNOYING!!!!!

Susan

Posted at 11:08 AM on December 1, 2011

Astro is a punk and a terrible role model for kids who are watching him-gives the wrong message-he should have been booted off of the show-the fact that he wasn’t tells me that there are a LOT of BRATS out there voting for him because they all think it is ok to act that way–he should have never made it to the show-he was a cocky brat right from the start and I pity any professionals who have to work with him in the future because he will only get worse!

Annette decampos

Posted at 10:28 AM on December 1, 2011

they’re all very great, I wish the very best, good luck to all of them : )

chance72

Posted at 10:22 AM on December 1, 2011

Why is astro allowed to write and rap his own lyrics??? When all the others are required to sing the song word for word he just uses the instrumental and completely destroys good songs with stupid lyrics.he is arrogant and his rap reminds me of the rap from the 1980’s.it’s not even current.i cant see why anyone would vote for him!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINNIE

Posted at 1:30 PM on December 1, 2011

Astro has 118,000 follower on twitter he’s not going anywhere!!!!!

Teresa

Posted at 9:48 AM on December 1, 2011

Are we really going to choose who stays based on last nights performance – or are we going to vote for the singer(s) who have been consistently good? It absolutely sucks when they have a “theme” night. There are many famous singers who would not be able to sing MJ. Josh is incredible, one bad night does not change that. The same with Rachel. Astro and Chris R. are able to do the SAME thing every week. Yes, Melanie was the best last night. LET THE CONTESTANTS CHOOSE THEIR SONGS FROM THE GENRE THAT WORKS FOR THEM!!!

vivian

Posted at 9:39 AM on December 1, 2011

i wish rachel crow al de best she is my little sunshine

MauiKane

Posted at 9:32 AM on December 1, 2011

So….why is Astro still on?! Steve Jones is great eye candy.
Let him be! Rachel Crow for the win!

Mariah

Posted at 9:08 AM on December 1, 2011

i totally loved ASTRO,DREW,RACHEL CROW, & MARCUS CANTY’S performance they were all amazinqq

ezeddy2

Posted at 9:27 PM on December 1, 2011

You just picked the worst performances of the night, except for astro

Terry McGraw

Posted at 9:07 AM on December 1, 2011

I was so excited last night and yet was disapointed. The only one that was good was Melanie. It was great for MJs
family to be there but, I felt like the contestants had their worse week. XFactor done a great job the starting of the show then the singing started and it was disappointing.
Did not do Michael Jackson Justice with their songs.

Greg K

Posted at 8:41 AM on December 1, 2011

Kirstin, your analysis is “spot on”. I could not have said it better!

I especially like your side note comment on Steve Jones. No he is not a robot, he is simply irrelevant.

This fabricated tension between the judges is manipulative and sophomoric. We don’t need falsely created negativity to boost ratings as it is very arrogant to think of us the audience as having such unintelligence.

So the real poor performance is the judges for conspiring to be manipulative.

As a huge X Factor UK fan and I watch that show weekly, we in US have been shortchanged. The quality of the contestants is great and the “tension” is not so blatantly obvious!

The US audience is the real loser.

Marcus – no connection. Rachel- cute doesn’t equal sales. Drew- not bad, enjoyable but naive. Josh- soulful but not memorable. Astro- great performer and songwriter yet it does not translate to sales, Chris- he can sing one song great, a one hit wonder ( Little Homie). Melanie- wow should be better than Kelly Clarkson and reminds me of Leona Lewis.

Thanks fornyour great insight!

Joette

Posted at 11:56 AM on December 1, 2011

Simon,,,,,,,I’m so glad you brought Melanie back,,,,,,SHE WAS ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING…………CAN’T WAIT FOR HER ALBUM TO COME OUT…..I WILL BE FIRST INLINE TO BUY IT….MELANIE,,,,YOU GO GIRL AND DON’T EVER LET ANYONE STEP ON YOUR TOES….YOU ARE AMAZING, WAS LIKE WATCHING A LIVE CONCERT………….JUST LOVE YA

viicki

Posted at 8:22 AM on December 1, 2011

I loved Rachel crows Can u feel it

Samantha S.

Posted at 8:04 AM on December 1, 2011

Agree w/commentary. Performances were lackluster and not memorable, even from my fave contestants (Josh). I think Nicole tends to go overboard with her adult contestants in overproducing their acts, its a shame and puts them in danger of elimination. Not EVERYONE needs all that cr-p going on in background when they perform. It’s a joke.
Drew is REALLY becoming duller and her melancholy breathy yodely tones make you wanna end your life, she’s SO depressingly boring! And I like her. So sad. Variety please!

Steve Jones needs to GO. HE needs to be eliminated!! Dull, robotic, no personality or charisma…. boring gray suits &white shirts… all heyou needs is the briefcase. I can’t understand his Welsh accent half the time. They need to replace him with a more personable, fun AMERICAN host next year. Anyone will be an improvement. He’s just not doing it for me.
Best of luck to all remaining contestants.

P.S. — Nicole, just stop yakking so much, sit quietly and look pretty. Your comments are irrelevant.

William DAugherty

Posted at 7:56 AM on December 1, 2011

Why is the little rapper the only one who
Doesn’t have to get out pf his comfort zone?
L.A. keeps criticizing all others for not doing
Anything different but rapper never changes.
WHY…he is a one trick pony!!!

Carolyn

Posted at 7:54 AM on December 1, 2011

Melanie did not suddenly develop an accent. She’s of Caribbean descent and has always had an accent. Like most folks from the Caribbean, she simply keeps it under wraps unless she’s with family or close friends. It’s amusing to those of us in the know how shocked Americans are when we speak in our native accents.

debi

Posted at 7:32 AM on December 1, 2011

i agree with your recap kirstin but i still enjoyed the show…melanie was great but i would never buy her album (not into power singers). i thought astro was really really good & i loved chris rene (voted for the first time on any singing show). josh had been my favorite but both he & rachel dropped the ball…thinking rachel should go. drew & marcus both held their own.

chance72

Posted at 12:02 PM on December 1, 2011

Debi.u must be high as hell if u thought asrto was really really good.people like you shouldnt be allowed to vote.you obviously wouldnt know talent if it slapped you in the face.

s

Posted at 5:58 AM on December 1, 2011

Mi viene da piangere. tantissimo.
SEI UNA ILLUSA. tu non piaci a nessuno.

s

Posted at 5:49 AM on December 1, 2011

BASTA,sara. Davvero.
Lui non vuole niente di serio con te, fattene una ragione, prendila come viene, SMETTILA DI ASFISSIARLO perchè non ti vuole da quel punto di vista.