Demi Lovato Calls Her Cutting Scars Her 'Battle Wounds'

Thu, December 1, 2011 9:59am EDT by 18 Comments

In the January issue of ‘Glamour’ magazine, Demi opens up about tattoos she has on her wrists that cover up the scars she has from cutting herself.

“I think the scars are like battle wounds — beautiful, in a way,” Demi Lovato tells Glamour. “They show what you’ve been through and how strong you are for coming out of it.” Instead of looking down at her cuts and feeling sad, she covered them with tattoos that bring her thankfulness. Demi has three tattoos over the scars with the words: “Stay strong,” “Strong” and “Stay.” What Demi talk about her tattoos below!

“Now I’m able to look at them and be thankful for being alive,” Demi explains. “I think that I’ve been blessed over the past year to be able to start over.”

It’s amazing that Demi can find a positive message out of a dark time in her life and that she’s not afraid to share her struggles with her fans. By speaking out, she could be helping other people experiencing similar issues.

Loading video...

Do you have any inspirational tattoos? Would you ever get one?

Emzii

Posted at 2:29 PM on September 28, 2013

I want her to be able to live her life. She deserves a man who will treat her like a princess. Someone who will treat her mom like a queen, her dad with respect and admiration, and her siblings like fellow family members. She is a strong, independent, proud, and inspiring woman. I think that we are all proud of her for overcoming this and pulling through. Lovatics all the way. P.S.: Doug, the comment below this one, is a perfect example. am cheering 4 u

Doug

Posted at 7:20 AM on December 3, 2011

I so desire her to find a Southern Gentleman. Lets just use me for example. When its raining and we walk up on a mud puddle I would take off my coat and lay it on the puddle so she could walk cleanly over it. When she approaches the dinner table I stand and pull her chair for her. When I am with my group of friends and she walks up I remove my hat and tip it toward her and now focus 220% of my attention in her direction. Lastly if for some forsaken reason we have to be in Hollywood when we leave in a vehicle and that papa razzi has hounded her after we drive a block I ask her to let me out of the car and I politely inform her to keep driving and not to look in rear view mirror I will see her in an hour. After that no one will ever shove a camra in her face on my time again.

Alexis

Posted at 10:01 AM on January 15, 2012

You sir are the ideal gentleman. Let’s hope that Demi has the fortune to meet someone like you.

Belamy

Posted at 2:31 PM on September 28, 2013

I definently agree w/ Alexis

Jessie

Posted at 11:13 PM on December 1, 2011

“they arent deep enough to be actual suicide attempts so they are obviously for attention.”

Whoever said this is an idiot.

anon

Posted at 11:25 AM on February 4, 2012

You are obviously the idiot. Not every cut is a suicide attempt. They are there, as Demi said, as battle wounds. Many people who cut do it to cope with the emotional pain. Not every cutter wants to commit suicide, many use it as a way to feel better.
Next time you want to call someone an idiot, try and make sure you’re not being ignorant yourself.

Marii

Posted at 8:22 PM on December 1, 2011

Ok so the people that sat shes doiin thiisz for attentiion are just beiin iignorant…a person who cuts themselves dont go around telliin people..an for her to be famous ofcourse shes gonna get the attentiion..shes a human beiin just liike everybody else..everybody have moments and problems…so for those who are hatiin on Demii,yuh should stop cuz she has feeliings just liike yuh..iif yuh dont wanna know bout the matter then dont read about her..duh!!!

BlackCrow

Posted at 3:12 PM on December 1, 2011

I knew Demi haters were stupid. But damn you guys. You’re taking stupidity to a whole new level lol.

BlackCrow

Posted at 3:09 PM on December 1, 2011

@high444222000. You must be high if this is your mentality that you are sharing with us. Talk about pure idiocy lol.

high444222000

Posted at 2:42 PM on December 1, 2011

I also think she is taking a bit too far… like when is she going to stop talking about it, I don’t feel bad for her, she is rich, young and pretty lmao and IS looking for attention

James

Posted at 2:56 PM on December 1, 2011

Well why should SHE stop talking about it when YOU guys are the ones that bring it up? Hell the INTERVIEWER brought it up with her so yeah. Of Course she is going to talk about it. Seriously what mind of idiotic intelligence is this on your end? So being rich, young and pretty means that you’re not allowed to have any kind of harsh mental disorders? I didn’t know that people with youth and financial stability couldn’t share the same problems that everyone here does. And of course she is looking for attention. She’s a celebrity. Her career DEPENDS on attention. Is that your only means of criticizing her? Slamming her for doing her job? Lol, whats next? Are you going to slam a doctor for doing his job? Which is saving lives? Why can’t Demi have smart detractors? Seriously.

JoeChief

Posted at 3:05 PM on December 1, 2011

“I also think she is taking a bit too far…”
Yeah! How dare she answers a question when she is ASKED that in an interview! How dare she be honest and forthwith! Thats just…crazy!

“like when is she going to stop talking about it,”
When are YOU gonna stop talking about it? Hell these comment sections are full of failed brain trusts like you complaining about her talking about yet you yourself can’t stop talking about it. Duh? Common sense much?

“I don’t feel bad for her, she is rich, young and pretty lmao”
So are you saying to me that Rich, young and pretty people don’t suffer from eating disorders, addictions, self harm issues and bipolar disorders? So in other words if she wasn’t Rich, young and pleasing to your asthetic definition of beauty, you would feel bad for her? Lol not only are you petty, but you sound completely contradictory.

“and IS looking for attention”
If your complaint is that she is looking for attention then why do you continue to GIVE her attention? Also like James said earlier, she’s a celebrity. So her career kind of DEPENDS on attention. Hell anyone who is a public figure DEPENDS on attention. How else do they get their message across? You are so incredibly stupid it’s not funny. Well no…it is lol.

c

Posted at 12:52 PM on December 1, 2011

what scar? I’d want to hide those if I were here.. they arent deep enough to be actual suicide attempts so they are obviously for attention. Grow up.

James

Posted at 1:33 PM on December 1, 2011

You are so stupid c that it’s not even funny. If they were for attention, then how come she hid them for the greater part of two years? How come she didn’t talk about it until just recently? You really are stupid you know that?

JoeChief

Posted at 2:00 PM on December 1, 2011

Last time I checked, there wasn’t a fan club for self mutilation. So anyone who thinks people cut for attention is a moron. And in this case, this moron is you C :)

BlackCrow

Posted at 3:11 PM on December 1, 2011

I have yet to meet ONE cutter that goes around their town to show off their slit wrists. So for you to say that people who cut do it for attention not only makes you sound incredibly insensitive, but it also makes you sound incredibly ignorant.

cici

Posted at 4:39 PM on May 15, 2012

Samething i was thinking. I cut and those arent suicide attempts like what i have. Plus why is everyone so worried. It wont mess with their life

elizabeth

Posted at 11:26 AM on September 29, 2012

demi i am a big fan of you i think you did the right thing talking to somone avbout it people say ypu are amazing and you are you are fantastic i love you and stay strong from elizabeth ps i people say i can sing i would love singing to you