Selena Gomez Dishes About Her Role In Risqué New Movie, 'Spring Breakers:' 'It's Raw'

Tue, November 29, 2011 5:38pm EDT by 38 Comments
Selena Gomez Spring Breakers

Selena Gomez confirmed she’s starring in the edgy new film, ‘Spring Breakers,’ alongside Emma Roberts, James Franco and Vanessa Hudgens

Selena Gomez may be ice skating in Utah with her boyfriend, Justin Bieber, right now, but after the new year begins, the 19-year-old starlet is going to put the petal to the medal and break out of her Disney shell with her new movie, Spring Breakers.

“I’m really, really excited about it,” Selena recently told MTV News. “It’s a different character than I have ever played before. It’s a different kind of vibe I think than people are used to seeing me in. What you’re going to see is more raw, I think. It’s going to be raw and more about acting.”

Written by Harmony Korine, the film is about four college girls who rob a restaurant in order to get money for their trip to the beach with “a rapping drug and arms dealer who bails them out of jail and entices them to kill his arch-rival,” who would be played by James Franco.

If all goes as planned, Emma Roberts, 20, will reportedly play a southern girl who “feeds off danger,” and Selena will be a religious girl who “isn’t a thrill-seeker like the rest of the group.” Vanessa Hudgens is also attached to the project, which is set to begin filming the beginning of 2012.

Do YOU think Selena will have as much success with her acting as she’s had with her music?

More Justin!

1. Justin Bieber Baby Scandal: New Proof He’s NOT The Father
  2. Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Spend Time With Robert Pattinson
  3. Justin Bieber’s Romantic New ‘Someday’ Video — He LOVES Fans

movie talk

Posted at 11:10 AM on April 23, 2012

Hello There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely smartly written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

Beauty Salon Berkshire

Posted at 5:08 AM on April 10, 2012

It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Lenany

Posted at 3:31 PM on March 21, 2012

Absulutly becase she is just a Good actor she can pull off any
Role

Ara M

Posted at 9:39 AM on March 3, 2012

Wow..sounds great.!! I CAN’T WAIT.!! O.M.G.

Katie

Posted at 2:09 PM on March 1, 2012

When is spring breakers going to be out in theatres?

SABRINA LAL

Posted at 2:23 PM on March 25, 2012

i think this movie will be on april

Stephanie

Posted at 9:47 PM on February 26, 2012

selena is awesome she gives me
Inspiration to be a better
Person

Amber

Posted at 9:40 PM on February 26, 2012

I love ya Selena Gomez no matter wat u will do great

Posted at 8:44 AM on February 19, 2012

i heard that ashley benson is in the group , that will be awesome i love her acting in pretty little liars , and i am exciting to see selena . i cant wait to see the movie i think that is will be a good movie

thu

Posted at 9:40 AM on February 18, 2012

she is great I wish I met u one day

selly rox!

Posted at 12:52 PM on December 24, 2011

omg can’t wait!!!!! you’re gonna be awesome!!! so EXCITED!!

<3 <3 <3

SELENA FAN!!

Posted at 11:59 AM on December 17, 2011

WOO HOO SELENA!!!! I hope in this movie you will be more mature im glad its not another disney one LOL But your acting is great in all movies! Do the best you can!! YOU GO GURL!!!!!!!!!!

Hayden

Posted at 3:13 PM on December 4, 2011

‘Selena will be a religious girl who “isn’t a thrill-seeker like the rest of the group.”’
I don’t find anything ‘risque’ or ‘raw’ about that, except the fact that the movie will not be Disney’s…

anzel

Posted at 7:06 AM on December 1, 2011

I will thnk selena will be the best on the movie

Lena

Posted at 10:41 PM on November 30, 2011

This doesn’t sound raw or even clever in any way. It sounds stupid, cliche, and like someone’s trying too hard to be edgy.

Naomi

Posted at 4:15 PM on November 30, 2011

Based on the description of the movie, it doesn’t even sound “raw.” It’s not even a raw movie, it sounds comedic in a way.

britney mcgadney

Posted at 2:12 PM on November 30, 2011

i think selena will be great. it will make me cry of joy to see her in a new movie.she is the best at whatever she does.

nazi.21.iranian

Posted at 4:58 PM on November 30, 2011

selna i love u a lot.i am 21 years old and iranian girl. i wish i met u some day.of course if i could.but i think that i can not to do it…thats pity…my rington and wallpaper is your sing and picture.i listen 2 them and see them every night.really i wish i were u… i hate my nationality because……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

nazi.21.iranian

Posted at 5:09 PM on November 30, 2011

i hope u be more successful more than now.excuse me 4 my language and speaking that is not very well.i know that u dont my letter but i write 4 perhaps some hear this from somebody…

nazi.21.iranian

Posted at 5:19 PM on November 30, 2011

i am listening to it right now. who says who says youre not perfect… who says youre not beautiful … who saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.u r very very beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul ……………………………………………………..

Matt

Posted at 1:51 AM on November 30, 2011

I believe Selena is an incredible person who’s got amazing gifts for acting & singing; that being said I also hope Hollywood doesn’t rob her of the equally incredible self-respect she has an which Selena shows others they to can have. I am proud of Selena, she’s got my Love, respect, & full support. Selena is in the hearts & prayers of all of us who care about her; whether we be family, friend, or true fan. I hope all that she does she can be proud of & never have to keep her amazing gifts from others such as her youngest fans. May Selena always be Blessed by God as she has Blessed us. An no hating in Selena, she has done nothing to deserve it. Stop the hate.

martin

Posted at 10:35 PM on November 29, 2011

‘MY OPINION’ UR TRIPPIN SELENA IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE BEST AT EVERYTHING SHE THE BEST ACTRESS,SINGER, AND THE PRETTIES GIRL OUT THIER SHES HAS WAS IT TAKES AND I KNOW IT.

Liv

Posted at 9:37 PM on November 29, 2011

Let’s hope so.

My Opinion

Posted at 9:26 PM on November 29, 2011

NO I DON’T THINK SHE WILL HAVE A GREAT SUCCESS WITH HER ACTiNG SHE’S NOT GREAT SHE’S ONLY GOOD AND NOTHING ELSE. HER MUSiC IS ARE FOR LITTLE KIDS. SHE’S IS NOT A WELL SINGER SHE CANNOT REaCH THE HIGHER notes!!!!

good luck U NEED IT!!!!!

so wat

Posted at 9:40 PM on November 29, 2011

stfu…selena is a great actress and singer thts the truth so stop been ugly or hater, can’t wait to see da movie :)

Hayden

Posted at 3:16 PM on December 4, 2011

Selena isn’t a good singer… She sings live so horribly!

Her acting is okay, but not my personal choice. It’s too held back- there’s nothing fresh about Selena’s acting. I bet people back in the 50′s were better than her.

selenerzrox

Posted at 4:34 PM on June 10, 2012

HAYDEN! shut up she is awesome beautiful i love her like a love song. her music is fantastic i have all her alll her albums an most inportant thing, WHAT DID SHE DO TO YOU?! NOTHING!!!!! SO KEEP IT 2 UR SELF! (50′s pepole suck. no offense to 50′s pepole.) selena rocks! peace out pepole!

MARTIN

Posted at 10:37 PM on November 29, 2011

HEY WATS UR PROBLEM WHY U GOTTA HATE ON SELENA GOMEZ WAT HAS SHE DONE TO YOU?!?!?!?

Jess

Posted at 12:59 AM on November 30, 2011

Why would u even comment if you hate her so much? Go find someone else to hate!! I love selena and personaly think she is a great role model!!!!!!!!!!

he/she is right

Posted at 4:20 AM on November 30, 2011

I am not being mean or anything i really do like selena gomez but she cant sing am sorry but she cant the people who buy the music is for the music or her fans she cant hit a high note if your going to hate me for telling the truth go ahead but its a fact p.s it seems i only know this girl when she around famous people or dating them

Hayden

Posted at 3:18 PM on December 4, 2011

I only know this girl because of her past boyfriends, too. Taylor Lautner, Nick Jonas, Justin Bieber. Who’s next? Simon Cowell? Thank God that he’s engaged (I think…)!

ur a h8r

Posted at 1:42 PM on December 24, 2011

well if you hate fer so fricken much then why are you even commenting, and READING this?!?! if you hate her so much, ok GIVE ME A DAMM REASON FIRST won’t you? what’d she ever do to you? if u hate her soooo much then don’t comment and mind ur own business!

Troy

Posted at 7:20 PM on November 29, 2011

Kudos to Selena for taking on a role that for her is off=the beaten path and outside the box for her. The only thing is Harmony Korine is not a filmmaker whose movies get wide-release. Has anywone seen “Gummo” or “juliendonkeyboy”? Well I’m sure James Franco (yes the guy from “General Hospital”) will help its profile. I’m looking forward to it.

Patty

Posted at 11:42 PM on November 29, 2011

Come On!!!…The ONLY reason to see this obvious bomb will be James Franco…..SPOILER……He’s an alien!!…Yup, read that right…..Patty

Juliana

Posted at 2:14 AM on November 30, 2011

James Franco is known for much more than General Hospital!

I would like to get “raw” with James. Who cares about the rest of the cast or the movie in general. I would see it just to see him.

Sierra wittenlerg

Posted at 7:06 PM on November 29, 2011

I think she’ll do awesome in her new movie and I’m very exited to see it. I hope Selena and the others have fun! :)

rawr

Posted at 6:34 PM on November 29, 2011

oh god vanessa is not a good actress at all.but can’t wait for paparazzi photos of this two LMAO.love selena
and emma is a good actress

Love vanessa!!!

Posted at 1:02 AM on November 30, 2011

I think vanessa is an amazing actress!!!! Shes also super pretty!!!:)