Health Officials Fear A Disease Outbreak As Less Kids Are Being Vaccinated — New Report

Tue, November 29, 2011 5:50pm EDT by 13 Comments

A growing number of parents are keeping their kids from vaccinated and now health officials are worried that almost-extinct diseases will return! Are you putting your kid at risk?

In a study by the Associated Press, it was revealed that more than 1 in 20 public school kindergartners in eight states aren’t getting all the vaccines required for attendance! It’s “really gotten much worse,” said Mary Selecky, secretary of health for Washington state.

More than half of states have seen a slight rise in exemptions over the past five years, and states in the West and Upper Midwest have the highest rates.

But why would parents skip the vaccines?

Some cite religious, philosophical or medical reasons, and a rising number of parents don’t believe vaccines are essential. Some worry the risks are greater than not having the shot. And some are concerned about the number of shots required. By the time most kids are 6-years-old, they’ll have been given about 24 shots!

“Many of the vaccines are unnecessary and public health officials don’t honestly know what the effect of giving so many vaccines to such small children really are,” said Jennifer Margulis, a parenting book author from Ashland, Oregon.

Health officials say the parents that exempt their children are putting others at risk! No vaccine is completely effective, and if an outbreak begins in an area with unvaccinated kids then even those who are vaccinated are at serious risk of getting sick!

“Your child’s risk of getting disease depends on what your neighbors do,” said Saad Omer, an Emory University epidemiologist.

What do YOU think, HollyMoms? Have you had your kids vaccinated, or did you exempt them?

More health news:

1. Parents Outraged At New Co-Sleeping Campaign
  2. Are High-Achieving Parents A Link To Rise In Autism?
  3. Grandparents Are Key To Keeping Kids Healthy — New Study

Utrecht Art coupon code

Posted at 11:25 AM on November 29, 2013

Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from.
I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I
will just bookmark this page.

Meg

Posted at 3:10 PM on July 8, 2012

Read “A Shot In The Dark” if you want to understand where many parents who don’t vaccinate are coming from.

Denisse

Posted at 5:12 PM on January 20, 2012

I thought it was illegal to NOT vaccinate your kids? I don’t understand why most people would choose to go back to a time when so many infants lost their lives to diseases we now have vaccines for. Ever take a walk thru an old cemetery? It’s a bit sad to see all the baby tombstones.

Courtney

Posted at 10:04 AM on November 30, 2011

um theres a certain percentage of children that can’t or shouldn’t be vacinated as in if your allergic to pultry eggs or dairy and some of the vaccines are useless like the ones for water bourne Illnesses. you guys seem to be forgetting this country didn’t have the Chickenpox vaccine until 1996 or that the last major diptheria outbreak in this country was in Alaska in 1935 though Alaska was only a territory then

desiree

Posted at 9:11 AM on November 30, 2011

i’m a self professed ‘green’ mom with cloth diapers, natural products etc and i anguished my whole pregnancy about yes or no to vaccinations. i ultimately decided that delaying vaccinations were best for my son and i for my stress level. i was constantly nervous and scared he’d catch something so at 8 months i started the shots. he’s 22 months now and just got the 12 month shots and i left out the chicken pox vaccine..
i was scared of autism links and death complications but i read 100’s of hours of stuff before i decide.
this article seems like a fright sensationalism atricle, just educate yourself and make the right decision for you.

tiki

Posted at 10:29 PM on November 29, 2011

I’m proud to say both my kids are vaccinated. I’ve had people try and tell me I was wrong, I disagree. my daughter even got her MMR shortly after her older brother was diagnosed with autism. I would never risk my kids, or other kids that way. we made vaccines for a reason.

Christi

Posted at 9:14 PM on November 29, 2011

FEWER! FEWER KIDS! Not less kids. Honestly.

Gene

Posted at 8:00 PM on November 29, 2011

i will definetly be one of those parents who doesnt believe all vaccines are necessary. why put your children through some of those unnecessary vaccines?

dawn

Posted at 8:43 PM on November 29, 2011

umm, maybe so they dont end up dying or putting others at risk?? i have gotten my daughter every shot nothing bad has happened. she hasnt gotten a fever or felt bad after, legs sore, thats all. i will not be letting my daughter attend school because dumbass parents wont give their children what they need.

lillie

Posted at 2:42 PM on November 30, 2011

I don’t vaccinate my daughter. She got a few shots and reacted terribly, sothe doctor said don’t take them. Its bull crap, what people inject in their kids. My daughter has never once been hospitalezed. The worst she’s ever had is a cold

jenna

Posted at 3:15 PM on December 1, 2011

If your kids have been vaccinated then you have nothing to worry about… right? Stop worrying and let us make our OWN decisions.

Berenice

Posted at 3:43 PM on December 1, 2011

If you have vaccinated your daughter like you said you have then why are you not gonna let her go to school? she shouldnt be at risk at all.

Liz

Posted at 8:53 PM on November 29, 2011

So which vaccines are unnecessary? The ones that protect against certain STDs? The ones that protect against diphtheria or pertussis– which killed millions of children before vaccination?

Try having one of these preventable diseases and then get back to me. I’ve had it, and I wouldn’t wish pertussis on my worst enemy.

P.S. Before you tell me that the chickenpox vaccine is unnecessary, try a round of shingles– which is an adult consequence of varicella (chickenpox). I especially encourage you to talk to the people who have had shingles rashes on their eyes.