'Once Upon A Time' Recap: Is The Storybrooke Mine Really A Gate To The Fairy Tale World?

Sun, November 27, 2011 9:43pm EDT by 15 Comments
Courtesy of ABC

Besides spinning an emotional new tale, the Nov. 27 episode also taught us that crazy ladies and old men who play with puppets should not be given control over explosives.

As the only therapist in Storybrooke, Archie (Raphael Sbarge) spends most of his time listening to other people’s problems — but Jiminy Cricket’s drama took front-and-center on the Nov. 27 episode of ABC’s Once Upon A Time, and it set the stage for an epic showdown between Archie and Regina (Lana Parrilla.) Who knew the cricket had a spine?

Through the magic of nonlinear storytelling, we learned that Jiminy was once the son of traveling grifters in the fairy tale world. And when he tried to turn them into puppets — via a magic potion brewed by the sexy Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) — his plan went awry, and he ended up using it on Geppetto’s parents. That’s when the slutty Blue Fairy appeared and turned him into a cricket, so he could serve as Geppetto’s umbrella-clad conscience for the rest of his life.

This week’s episode also marked Emma’s (Jennifer Morrison) debut as a skinny-jeaned officer of the law, and her first task was to investigate a mysterious explosion at the town mine. (Oh, like you didn’t think this town would have a mine?) But things got even messier when Henry (Jared Gilmore) ventured into the mines, convinced they contained a connection to the fairy tale world.

As it turns out, he was right — he just doesn’t know it yet. At the end of the episode, Regina dropped something all the way down the mine, and it landed near what looked like the hollow tree that baby Emma used to escape from the fairy tale world. So basically, the mine on Once Upon A Time is the equivalent of the hatch on Lost. (Let’s just hope we get our answers faster with this one!)

The love triangle between Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin), David (Josh Dallas) and Kathryn (Anastasia Griffith) also got a little sharper this week as David pretty much confessed his love for everyone’s favorite pixie-haired nurse. Kathryn showed up just as they were about to kiss, but as we saw in the promo for next week’s episode, she won’t keep them apart much longer.

Still, my favorite little nugget of info. from this week’s episode has to be that Archie’s Dalmation is named Pongo — because you know what that means: There’s bound to be a lady dog, 99 little puppies, and one crazy streak-haired bitch in this show’s future!

I can’t wait.

Now comes my favorite part — theory time: Is the mine really a connection between Storybrooke and the fairy tale world? Who’s the married man Emma alluded to having an affair with? And where the heck are the other 100 Dalmations hiding?

Drop your best theory in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time

Emma

Posted at 2:54 AM on October 14, 2012

I think that what they showed at the end of the episode was snow white’s casket from the beginning, but im not sure what its relevance is.

Low Cost HTML to Wordpress Conversion

Posted at 7:57 PM on June 9, 2012

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my web site so i came to return the desire?.I am attempting to in finding issues to enhance my web site!I guess its adequate to use a few of your ideas!!

variasi mobil

Posted at 6:48 AM on June 9, 2012

I just could not depart your site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info an individual provide for your visitors? Is gonna be again incessantly to check out new posts

super games

Posted at 6:16 AM on June 8, 2012

You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really one thing that I feel I might never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely large for me. I am taking a look forward for your subsequent put up, I’ll try to get the dangle of it!

Pharmd369

Posted at 4:46 PM on December 1, 2011

Hello! dkdcaaf interesting dkdcaaf site! I’m really like it! Very, very dkdcaaf good!

Nika

Posted at 10:52 PM on November 27, 2011

Regina dropped a piece of glass from Snow’s coffin from the pilot. It landed on the coffin.

Clandahlina

Posted at 10:20 PM on November 27, 2011

It wasn’t Pinocchio’s parents. It was Gephetto’s parents that were turned into puppets, and the Blue Fairy told Jimminy Cricket to stick with Gephetto.

Emma Ann

Posted at 10:54 PM on November 27, 2011

Thank that drove me crazy, also Mary Margaret is a volunteer at the hospital not a nurse

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:56 AM on November 28, 2011

Oops… not sure why I wrote Pinocchio instead of Geppetto. That was a goof.

As for the nurse/volunteer debate, that’s just being nitpicky ;)

Walker

Posted at 10:19 PM on November 27, 2011

Or the piece of glass is part of the glass coffin that once held snow white (if you stay true to the story)….if you were watching then you would have seen that the tree baby Emma was in was just that a tree. There was no glass shown in the tree that geppetto carved.

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:57 AM on November 28, 2011

I had a feeling it might be glass from Snow White’s coffin! That’s kind of twisted… :)

Janae

Posted at 10:00 PM on November 27, 2011

Well,I Believe It Is But There Could Be More Ways To Fairy Tale World!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:12 PM on November 27, 2011

Truth! I’d also like to know what’s up with Rumplestiltskin’s name fetish. Why is he so obsessed with names?!

Lee

Posted at 10:38 PM on November 27, 2011

I think there are a couple different myths that believe people’s names have powers to them. i know i read a couple of storys growing up where people kept their names secret (though I couldn’t for the life of me tell you what they were) It has to be connected with Rumplestiltskin losing the child because they were able to guess his name in his original fairy tale.

Aluralu

Posted at 5:49 AM on January 15, 2012

Rump only made a deal with Snow White for her Childs name because he needed to know who to look for once he got to our world Storybrooke. Don’t think Rumps suffering from memory lost at all because: 1. he was protected by the curse of the pretty red quill, 2. He created the curse and knew what it could do. And Im sure he had a fail safe for it. 3. He made Queeny a so called useless deal for when he got to Storybrooke which he apparently remembers he made. Rump has a pre-established plan with Emma as his pawn.