New Travel Concerns: Will Your Tots Be Seated At The Back Of The Plane?

Sat, November 26, 2011 8:00am EST by 22 Comments

Kids On Planes

If you’re planning to travel over Thanksgiving weekend, beware of the new travel policies some airlines are putting into effect — it could mean that your kiddos will be bumped to the back of the plane!

Recently, airlines have been making strides to separate families. But why would they do that? It’s an attempt to place kids at the back of planes, creating what some refer to as “baby ghettos,” according to Time.

Some families have filed complaints because they booked seats in close proximity to each other, only to have the seating chart changed upon arrival at the airport — instead, their young children are exiled to the back of the plane!

Most of the time, these arrangements place kids alone in the back of the plane — and sometimes, airlines will seat children as young as two years old between two strangers! Parents have complained to the airlines about their issues, but most airline representatives argue that during the holiday season, flights are overbooked and seating arrangements cannot be changed.

Mixed reactions have surfaced as a result of these policies, with parents outraged at the discrimination and most single travelers delighted at the thought of a relatively quiet flight.

What do you think HollyMoms? Do you agree or disagree with this new traveling trend?

-Lauren Kalma

Financial planning

Posted at 2:15 PM on November 29, 2011

It’s so lucky for me to find your blog! So great! Just one suggestion: It will be better and easier to follow if your blog can offer rrs subscription service.

Torimili

Posted at 12:34 AM on November 28, 2011

I am so outraged by the content of this article, I am literally shaking! I’ll scream “BOMB” on a plane before I let my toddler be seated between two strangers. Are there any parents actually going through with this? These strangers don’t offer to switch seats rather than sit next to a screaming child?

If anything, they should designate family friendly areas in the back where at least one parent can sit with their kid. If they don’t mind rearrangeing seats, move an adult!

Tina

Posted at 8:41 PM on November 27, 2011

This is one of the most craziest things I have ever heard of. I would NEVER separate myself from my two nieces ages 1 and 6. I wouldnt do this for many different reasons but the top few reasons are first of all both of them have Epilepsy. Do I want a stranger sitting next to my nieces and not know how to help them? What are my nieces going to feel like when they come out of a seizure and are already confused and then not know the person next to them for comfort that they both need after having a seizure. The 2nd reason is anxiety… my six year old is on medication every day due to high levels of anxiety so putting her next to someone she doesnt know and she cant even see her family on that flight would totally tear her apart. Lastly, sex offenders do ride on airplanes. Who says these people wouldn’t carry them off to the bathroom and try something. This rule is just wrong all the way around. I think they need to re-examined their heads. If people do not like to hear kids on a flight and they want it perfectly quiet then maybe those back seats should be reserved for those nick picky people.

Suzi

Posted at 3:42 PM on November 27, 2011

I HOPE that this article is more Hollybaby garbage as most of the stuff posted here is and not fact. I agree with others – where to start?? First off we do not fly since we have an 8 year old that has severe ear problems and the pressure causes her to scream in pain on take off and landing – we stopped flying when she was 3 and now drive the 1000 miles to get home for the holidays. Second – you even think about putting the same child by herself and you will hear screams that to this day will blow your mind – she is hearing impaired, uses sign language and has separation anxiety that has gotten some better with age but put her next to a stranger and we will be back at square 1. Let us know which idiot airlines thinks that this is a solution and I can bet that they will be the next ones wondering where the customners went and why they are losing money – American AIrlines lost my business when they had a strike one summer and brought all planes down to the nearest available airport. My three children (12, 9 and 7 at the time)were on that plane, all flying from their father’s with a stewardess escort – they landed in Wisconsin – on a flight from Indiana to Texas – never have figured that one out but I had to arrange for transportation to get them back to Texas with NO help from American Airlines – AA might be based in Dallas and I might live in Fort Worth but I will never use them again.

dance

Posted at 12:13 PM on November 27, 2011

This is so bogus. FAA regulations don’t allow a two year old to travel without being seated with a responsible adult (not a stranger). Airlines will move small kids to the back of the plane WITH at least one of their parents. Also, every airline I have been on will ask for people to trade seats to keep families together. I have never seen anyone refuse to move for a family. The age varies a little with the airline, but most of them require children under about 14 to be seated with their traveling companion (adult). Unaccompanied minors are limited per flight and the flight attendant becomes responsible for them. There is also a minimum age for unaccompanied minors but I don’t know what it is without researching it. FAA regulations are pretty specific on children traveling and what is reported here is not allowed.

Highflying

Posted at 11:30 PM on November 28, 2011

You are totally right!!! Hollybaby bull$hit. I haven’t been on here in awhile and this reiterates the reason why I will NEVER be back again. Do some real jounslism Hollybaby and research these rediculous claims.

I have been employed at a major north American airline for 12 years (front end) and we would NEVER force a family to be separated. If the child is under 12 years of age, we will move other people around to get at least one parent with the child.

Families can get separated when aircrafts change- different aircraft, different seating plan. Things have to be moved manually. Let the airline crew know BEFORE boarding the aircraft and the agents at the top
Will be able to help easier than the flight attendants. That being said, do not wait to bring it to the gate agents attention when you go up to board. Take responsibility for yourself passengers!

Carl Younger

Posted at 3:10 AM on November 27, 2011

Placing those poor kids in the back of the plane? I suppose that’s okay PROVIDING the cargo hold is too full!

Otherwise, leave the darling rug rats on the tarmac.

Kittenkagome

Posted at 12:33 AM on November 27, 2011

This should be illegal. Put the kids in the back if you want but do not seperate them from their parents. I would refuse to take the flight if my young child was seperated from me.

Mar

Posted at 6:03 PM on November 26, 2011

Splitting parents and children is not smart! It can cause much more harm than good. Sitting in the back might be good for some children who sitting WITH their parents, but not for everybody. I, for example get pretty bad motion sickness if sitting in the back.
So, for those of you who are against this ridiculous policy, contact the airlines with your objections and/or avoid flying with them.

David

Posted at 3:01 PM on November 26, 2011

sure people will think cool a quiet flight however im surtain that without the compfit of the pearents the child will Scream And youl hear them anyways let alone the stress when the flight is over. Whats a few moments when a perent has to carm there child over a whols flight of screaming crying and stinking bottoms cause they are sceard. and the ones that when there is no guidence they Will get up to no good. just try to keep them in there seats with one of two hostest theyl be running down the isle for sure screamin MOM DAD WAAAAAAAAA!@

Bryan

Posted at 6:04 PM on November 26, 2011

No parent wants to be separated from their child on a flight. God forbid there is an emergency and a total stranger is responsible for your child. In cases of overbooked flights the priority should go to the family flying together especially if they booked the tickets together and at an earlier date. Please list the airlines doing this so we can boycott them with our business.

Nikki

Posted at 1:26 PM on November 26, 2011

Okay, seating children without parents is ridiculous. BUT… the thought of having all the children in the back of the plane is actually a great idea! That way those of us not traveling with children don’t have to deal with them. Almost every flight I have been on I have been seated near a child and all but one of those children were incredibly annoying. One of them the lady learned I was a nanny and shut off her light and went to sleep leaving me to entertain her child! I say families in one section of the plane and traveling adults in another section is a fantastic idea BUT DO NOT split parents and children up, that is wrong and in this day and age just plain dangerous!

noa

Posted at 6:14 AM on November 27, 2011

I think most people are annoying on planes… Old people are the worse. Let’s put THEM in the back of planes and see how that works out?
Ok seriously:
My children are well behaved. Usually the people sitting next to me will COMPLIMENT my children on their behavior. This is how I raise them. To respect other people’s need for peace and quiet. So why should I, as a parent be seated in the back and have to deal with other people’s kids? I pay for my seat and my kids seat’s and they have the just as much a right to a peaceful flight as anyone else. A disruptive passenger , no matter what age, should be treated as such. You don’t generalize and segregate whole segments of the population because of a few as a preventive measure.

christina

Posted at 11:41 AM on November 26, 2011

Do they not realize that some children have anxiety over being sepearated from their parents? my kids are 4 and 3 and i can tell you right now that if they wouldn’t let me or their dad sit with them and stuck them next to some stranger they would hysterically scream the entire flight. plus are the airlines gonna take responsibility if they sit someone’s kid next to someone creepy like lets say a sex offender and something happens. it’s not like they do background checks before you fly this could happen. i have never been on a plane but i now know that i would check to see what the policy is reguarding child seating before i ever fly.

Slug

Posted at 11:22 AM on November 26, 2011

Maybe there should be “Baby/Small Child” flights only–show up a the airport with your kid and you get shuffled to the PWC (parents with child) flight.

jeni

Posted at 11:17 AM on November 26, 2011

You can’t make a parent responsible for a child seated in another section of the plane and a stranger has no reason to take that responsibility so who is in charge of that small child? No one of my kids at 2 or even 4 could be left alone and behave themselves.

Brata

Posted at 9:46 AM on November 26, 2011

this is just called bullying! .. I wish they publish the names of these airlines so that I would boycott them ! not that I have any kids yet but just because putting polices like this. its bad enough that we have to go through the security mambo jumbo and then they charge us $25 to $200 to checkin our bags.. but also (most of the time) flight delays! …and now they do shenanigans like this!

there should be a policy that force the airline to tell you when you book your flight of things like this!!!!

Shelly

Posted at 9:44 AM on November 26, 2011

They seat 2 year olds next to strangers?
A lot of 2 year olds are still in diapers, Are the strangers supposed to change them, or do they have to go find the parent.
Also, these children have to be strapped in the whole flight? , because small children will get up and not stay in the seat.

The many many many ways this new policy is stupid and dangerous is hard to fathom.

Stef

Posted at 9:23 AM on November 26, 2011

As much as its SO annoying to hear babies cry non stop (but who can blame them with the ear pressure), that is just wrong. If you’re gonna put children in the back , put their parents with them, not a stranger! things can happen on a plane!

Nobody Nobody At All

Posted at 1:05 PM on November 26, 2011

The simple solution to the ear pressure is to nurse your baby during take-offs and landings. If the baby/child is too old to nurse, spend the few days before the flight teaching your child to chew bubble gum (the toughest to chew) WITHOUT swallowing it. And of course bring a whole bag of bubble gum. Or teach your toddler to blow up balloons. This is simple: blow up the balloon yourself, first, to make it easier. Then have the toddler hold the circle to their lips with both hands while you gently pull on the big part of the balloon with both hands while cheering him with “blow, blow”. It does work. My sons learned to blow up balloons when they were younger than two-years-old because their pediatrician suggested it for earaches. Of course, all three suggestions require the parent to sit with or next to their baby or toddler.

Mar

Posted at 5:49 PM on November 26, 2011

I’m a mother of 2 and sorry, I disagree with the first 2 suggestions. Nobody wants to have a mother sitting next to them nursing her baby. Bubble gum is too dangerous to chew during often turbulent take offs and landings, especially for kids under 6. Blowing up a balloon might be ok, just hold on to the balloon tightly so it doesn’t escape.
I feel the simplest and effective thing to do for any age child is to offer a drink. Older kids can also hold their nose and close their mouths while pretending to blow their nose. These ideas will reduce pressure in the ears fairly well.

noa

Posted at 6:05 AM on November 27, 2011

“Nobody wants to have a mother sitting next to them nursing her baby. ”

For REAL? Where to start hmmm…
1. I can’t nurse my child anywhere I want?
2. Why would feeding/nursing a child bother someone?
3. Nobody? Wrong, many people have no problem with seeing a woman nurse. A few people do for whatever personal issues make a nursing mother feel uncomfortable… wrongly.