'Cosmopolis' Director David Cronenberg: Rob Pattinson Is 'Underrated'

Mon, November 21, 2011 6:26pm EST by 8 Comments
Rob Pattinson Cosmopolis

David Cronenberg has had nothing but rave reviews for Robert Pattinson’s performance in his upcoming drama. Do YOU think it’ll top ‘Twilight’?

David Cronenberg cannot say enough positive things about his Cosmopolis leading man, Robert Pattinson and is upset by the critical reviews the 25-year-old actor has received for his performances thus far.

“All I know is…I thought that Robert was very underrated,” David recently told Movieweb. “I don’t think that any director who’s looking to see what Rob can do, will not be able to see how terrific he is by looking at Cosmopolis. Even if the movie isn’t a success at the box office, creatively, as far as I’m concerned, it is a success, and for Rob, it totally is. He’s brilliant in the movie, he’s fabulous. If nothing else, it will be a great demo film for Rob, for any other director who’s looking for a great actor.”

David also raved about Robert to PopSugar recently, calling him “fantastic” and explaining why he appreciates Rob’s work in the Twilight franchise.

“The only thing about Twilight movies that was important for Cosmopolis was that it gave Robert the fame that we needed to support our budget,” David explained to PopSugar.

We cannot wait to see Cosmopolis when it is released next year. Do YOU think Rob will live up to his hype?

More Rob!

1. Kristen Stewart Clings To Robert Pattinson During ‘Ellen’
  2. Kristen Stewart Leaves Robert Pattinson’s House In Men’s Clothing: Is She Wearing Rob’s T-Shirt?
  3. Ellen Hits On Robert Pattinson In Front of Kristen Stewart – Watch Video

Jenza

Posted at 10:57 PM on March 17, 2012

I’d love to see Rob do a mad Guy Ritchie thing (ala RocknRolla) where he could just go totally nuts. I can see him as an urbane Brit gangster. He would be totally cool but with an edge. I think he would love it too. And yes I agree DC would not waste his time with him if he didn’t think he had the goods. After all he has worked with the likes of Viggo Mortenson who he directed in Eastern Promises. If you have not seen this movie, Viggo Mortensen’s performance is mind blowing.

Megan

Posted at 2:54 PM on December 14, 2011

Yes,yes,yes…R- Patz is fabulous . He’s such a good actor I bet he would b great playing any type of role… He’s awesome at everything he does love his movies…

doris

Posted at 5:34 PM on November 23, 2011

Robert Pattinson is a very good talented actor. He was good in Remember Me as Tyler Hawkins, he nailed Jacob in Water for Elephants’ and Edward Cullen in Twilight. Twilight will not follow Robert Pattinson in future roles he is just too an actor. Robert Pattinson is not recognized as an Oscar nominee for his role as Jacob in Water for Elephants’ and it is sad. I believe 2012 will be Rob’s year for the big awards… His time will come!!!

anna

Posted at 10:43 PM on November 21, 2011

Robert is a very good actor, I loved him in Remember me and
Water for elephants, ca’t wait to see him in Bel ami and Cosmopolis. His performance in Twilight are very limited and doesnt’help melissa and summit, but Robert has a great potencial and will prove it in his new films.
GO ROBERT
GO BEL AMI
GO COSMOPOLIS

Val

Posted at 9:26 PM on November 21, 2011

Yes, i will definitely be seeing it! I think Rob is a great actor. Edward doesn’t give him the chance to show that off. Although i love the Twilight films. I thought he was very good in WFE… I also think he has a very good American accent in all the films… I wish him the very best!

CodeN

Posted at 8:33 PM on November 21, 2011

I love Viggo and his collaboration with Cronenberg gave us his best work. It can happen to Pattinson too. It sounds like David took him under his wing.

Sandy

Posted at 8:22 PM on November 21, 2011

Even though I love the twilight films, I totally agree. I think Robert is very talented and a great actor.

Michele

Posted at 7:51 PM on November 21, 2011

Yes, absolutely! I’ll be so glad to see Rob shed Edward and Twilight once and for all, and I think this is the tool that will let him do that. With David Cronenberg in his corner singing his phrases, he’ll be able to shut the critics up once and for all. And some of them are so mean, there is no reason for that. Up yours, critics. If you don’t care for a film, fine. But some of the attacks are scathing and beyond professionalism. They are trying to be witty but they are soon going to see how wrong they were.

I can’t wait for this film, and Bel Ami too. And really, why would someone as skilled at his craft as David C. have hired Rob in the first place if he didn’t really believe in him? That in itself, I think, is telling of Rob’s talent. But we already knew that.
Michele