12 Baby Name Trends For 2012

Sun, November 20, 2011 9:00am EDT by 17 Comments

Baby Name Trends 2012

Choosing a baby name can be so difficult! Here’s a list of some trends to look out for — they could help you decide!

Don’t want to end up naming your kid Apple? Nameberry came out with a list of the 12 hottest trends to watch out for this coming year. Here’s what you can expect!

• Modern Hero Names: Names honoring heroes both real and fictional works for both boys and girls. Have a favorite character, author, sports star or actor? This is your chance to honor them. Example: Mariah Carey’s daughter, Monroe
  • Same But Different Names: Parents want more than anything to avoid overly-used popular names. But some parents are choosing variations of well-liked names. Example: Isabella becomes Arabella or Annabelle
  • Fierce Names: This trend is for the boys: Fearsome names like Bear, Fox, and Wolf are gaining popularity — and definitely the best way to make your kid the toughest around! Example: Bear, Fox or Wolf
  • West: Like the fierce trend, these names have a rough and tumble edge. Expect to see a generation of little cowboys. Example: West, Colt and Wyatt
  • A: I’m all on board for this trend (my name is Anna)! A is now the hottest vowel in baby names.  Example: Aria, Aurelia, Alistair
  • M: If A is the hottest vowel, then M is the top consonant. Example: May, Millie, Milo
  • Adjective Names: Skip the over-used nouns; adjectives are the next thing. Example: Royal, Sunny, True
  • Betty: Call it the Betty White effect, or did Mad Men bring the name back? Example: Betty, duh
  • New Connectors: Names that have a connection like choosing family middle names that are the nicknames of the person being honored. Example: Naomi Watts’s son, Alexander Pete
  • Arlo: This trend apparently comes from the gun-toting grandpa on Justified. Yeah, we don’t get it either. Example: Arlo
  • -ley names: This trend is going to get old, fast. Just stick -ley onto the end of any name. Example: Brinley, Finley, Kinley, you get the idea…
  • -ie names: This has a vintage feel to it, but beware of getting too cutsie. Example: Hattie, Addie

What name would you pick for your kid, HollyMoms? Do any of these trends match your kids’ names?

-Anna Moeslein

Get other baby name inspiration:

1. Eight Percent Of Parents Regret Their Kid’s Name! Do You?
  2. HollyBaby Bloggers Sarah & Neil Want YOU To Choose A Name For Their Baby Boy!
  3. New Mom Mariah Carey Tweets A Baby-Name Hint — Can You Guess?

Chris

Posted at 6:56 PM on December 4, 2011

I chose names that I loved and ignored everyone else.
I have a Jaydn Toran, Ansleigh Novalee (Ann Slay), Ciarabel Juniper (Kira Bell) and Ryker Keelan. I had a lot of family argue the names with me, but I told them it was my choice, just like it was their choice what they named their babies.
I have never regretted my children’s names, and my oldest is 11yrs old. My children love their names and they all have options for nicknames!

Cristina

Posted at 3:23 AM on December 4, 2011

Leilannie Aracelí

CRistina

Posted at 3:24 AM on December 4, 2011

i named my daughter Leilannie Aracelí such as something new that nobody familiar as my daughter’s first name but is sounds pretty!

Lia

Posted at 5:50 PM on December 1, 2011

With my kids we just picked names that we loved and some that were in memory or honor of someone important in my and my husband’s lives. I guess we were more drawn to A names like our kids are Aurora, Anthony and Analeigh. The other to are Edward Alexander after my dad and brother and Maria Elizabeth after my mom and his mom.

Jen

Posted at 9:55 AM on November 23, 2011

We went traditional, albeit traditional for Ireland, where my husband grew up. Our girl’s name is Orlagh Marie — Orlagh because it’s pretty, and Marie to honor numerous women, including my mother, my best friend, and, natch, the Virgin Mary. ;)

Lindsay

Posted at 10:09 AM on November 22, 2011

Girl or boy im going with g/ maysin justice… Mason Justice

Rebecca

Posted at 6:58 PM on November 21, 2011

I just had a baby girl August 9th and named her- Riley Marie. I dont think the “ley” names will ever go out of style! And if i ever have a boy, his name will be- Levi Ashton.

Torimili

Posted at 7:12 AM on November 26, 2011

My 11 year ild daughter’s name is Riley too. I always thought.it sounded prettier as a girl’s name. I do wish I had spelled it more feminine though, she get’s mistaken for a boy when making phone appts, etc :)

I also have a Milla (Me-la) (8), and a Lincoln (Link) (2)

Candice

Posted at 10:18 AM on December 4, 2011

While I was pregnant I asked the family to choose their top 3 names and Riley was on everyone’s list. I felt we needed a feminine spelling. We ended up spelling her name Ryleigh. Which looks lovely written in cursive.

justmeiguess

Posted at 4:44 PM on November 21, 2011

I named my daughter JoHanna Idk if its common but I thought it was cute I also spelled it with a capital H to make it a little different

Anne

Posted at 3:18 PM on November 21, 2011

If I have a son someday I would like to nAme him royal :)

Ann

Posted at 3:12 PM on November 21, 2011

I due in April and our baby will be either Lily or Noah. We find out the sex on Thursday!!! No matter the trends parents will name their kids however they want.

Lia

Posted at 5:53 PM on December 1, 2011

I agree with you 100%. But I was always conflicted on whether or not to find out the gender of my kids. I didn’t for the first 2 but the next 3 I did and it was the best decision to know..

Shelly C.

Posted at 12:22 PM on November 21, 2011

We went very traditional for our first born this year with Mary Rose, so we don’t fit any of the trends , no matter we don’t like to be followers and wanted her to have a name you don’t hear very often anymore.

Lorraine

Posted at 3:03 AM on November 21, 2011

I have a Lilah as well she is going to be 5 in December

Tara

Posted at 4:40 PM on November 20, 2011

No…I have Hanson, Lila, and Elizabeth. I’m pregnant with 4th which will either be Caroline or Emmett or Jerrick. SO I think the only “trend” I fit is New connectors. My full name is Theresa but I go by Tara. My first daughter is Lila Theresa. The last trends “ley” & “ie” annoy me. Made up names just annoy me. Although, Hanson and Jerrick are kind of out there I’ll admit. But names like Kinley and Aubrie are just not my taste. Like who names their kid Blakeley? Some celeeb did, I don’t remember who.

Amanda