'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Damon & Elena Let Stefan Go

Fri, November 11, 2011 12:02am EDT by 74 Comments
vampire diaries 3x09

Nina Dobrev was at her most bad-ass on ‘The Vampire Diaries’ midseason finale. Do you think Elena & Stefan are really over for good?

Every episode of The Vampire Diaries deserves a standing ovation worthy of Carnegie Hall, but the Nov. 10 midseason finale was one of those hours that literally takes the series to another level. When the dust finally settled, Mikael (Sebastian Roché) was dead, Stefan (Paul Wesley) was free from Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) compulsion, and Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally realized that Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is the better Salvatore.

OK, I may have embellished on that last one a little bit.

But there’s still no denying that “Delena” is closer to happening than ever before. While Damon and Elena plotted their attack on Klaus — Stefan was sort of lurking around too, I guess — Damon asked her if she trusts him; and not missing a beat, she answered, “Yes.” I feel like it was only yesterday that Elena was slapping Damon outside the school for even coming near her. My, how far these two have come.

Putting Elena and Damon’s drama aside for a brief second, we also got to know a lot more about the dysfunctional Original family — and talk about about daddy issues! It turns out Klaus hates Mikael because he felt like he could never live up to his expectations, while Rebekah (Claire Holt) hates him for turning their family into vampires in the first place. Of course, neither one of them will have to worry about Mikael anymore… now that he’s super dead.

Here’s how that whole plan went awry: Elena and Katherine — welcome back, lady — swapped places at the party so Katherine could survive Mikael’s stab wound and nail Klaus’ hybrid army with wolfs-bane grenades. That’s when Damon was supposed to stab Klaus with the one weapon capable of killing an Original, but Stefan swooped in and saved his master. This freed Klaus up to stab Mikael, and he stood and watched as the world’s first vampire went up in flames.

We later learned that Stefan knew killing Klaus would also mean Damon’s death — Klaus’ hybrids were commanded to kill anyone who harmed him — so his little act of rebellion was actually a sign of him “caring” about his brother. Someone should probably tell Damon that, as he was pretty pissed at the end of the episode.

And his anger led to a beautiful little “Delena” moment: There may not have been any kissing or beds involved, but there was lots of face touching — and that’s fine by me. “We’ll survive this,” she told Damon. “We always survive. Trust me.” And when he asked her what they were going to do about Stefan, she simply responded, “We’ll let him go, OK? We’ll have to let him go.”

Tyler (Michael Trevino) and Caroline (Candice Accola) are also in kind of a weird place after the events of this week’s episode. She’s been iffy about him ever since he became a hybrid, and him injecting her with vervain at the homecoming party certainly did nothing to ease her concerns. But he did it to keep her safe from Klaus’ little hybrid army, which he explained a little “trust me” speech at the end. I’m really curious to see how their relationship plays out.

Back to Stefan: I may think Elena belongs with Damon, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love Stefan. And his eyebrows. He can be truly awesome when he wants to be, like when he decided to use his newfound freedom to snatch up all of the Original family members’ bodies at the end of this week’s episode. He may have shaken off Klaus’ compulsion, but it looks like he kept that Ripper fire. I approve.

OK, enough ranting. What did YOU think of the midseason finale? Do you think Elena really let Stefan go for good? And who will Klaus choose as his first victim now that’s going on an all-out killing spree? Hit up the comments section below with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries

Lilly

Posted at 10:02 AM on November 13, 2011

I really dont get stefan and damons infatuation with this girl I mean shes pretty but bonnie and carolinr are just as pretty but she is just sooooo boring! I was always more of a damon fan but stefan has truly stolen the show he is one BAD MF! I love it! He needs to forgett about elena and hook up with rebeccah. And I always kinda liked bonnie/damon. Elena should just stick with matt..

Sophia

Posted at 5:59 AM on November 13, 2011

Well what was a really good show just turned into another pacey and Dawson fighting over the girl. Should just rename it Dawsons creek. And if u can forsaken the love of your life for his brother well that is what u call a ho. there is no more honor in tv show just lets see how many people we can get to sleep with other people. I’m done wit this show. I didn’t like Dawsons creek and definitely don’t want to watch a vampire version

Sylvia

Posted at 6:15 PM on November 13, 2011

Why are you so rude? It’s fine if you don’t like the show but then what the hell are you doing here? If you didn’t like TVD so just stay away. Anyway, i have to say that Vampire diaries is my favorite tv show. I can’t miss one episode and I am a convinced DE shipper. They are perfect and their chemistry is soooooooo awesome. So all I have to say is that Damon & Elena are meant to be !!!!

Twinflames

Posted at 4:18 PM on November 12, 2011

Elena belongs to Damon, now and forever. They are meant to be. Stefan is her first love but Damon is her true love. DELENA all they way !!!! FOREVER AND ALWAYS !!!

N.H

Posted at 7:09 PM on November 11, 2011

I LOVE Damon but I think Elena and Stefan make a hotter couple :D I mean I’m all for Delena too BUT she like totally belongs with Stefan.. Though I’m in LOVE with all those Delena moments… <3

DAH

Posted at 4:06 PM on November 11, 2011

As much of a Damon fan as I am, I love this side of Stefan. The fire his character was always missing, that core that proves he’s truly a vampire, is finally coming out! I’m excited to see what he’s stirred up and what exactly pushed him to this.

I think the Stelena/Delena will go back and forth over the progression of the series, but I’m a Delena fan at heart (sorry, Stelena fans, I just see more spark and fire with Delena and Katherine/Stefan or even Stefan/Lexi), and I’m rooting for a Delena endgame, even if I expect it to be Stelena.

Thanks as always for the recap! Also, where in the world was Alaric? And am I the only one who found Bonnie to be nice and rational for the first time since season 1?

Princess

Posted at 4:05 PM on November 11, 2011

I REALLY DONT BUY DIS STUFF ABT HER LETTIN STEPHAN GO DEY WILL BE BCK TOGETHER IN LESS DANN NO TYM. SHE MIGHT BE IN LUV WITH DAMON TOO BUT SHE LUVS STEPHAN MORE

maggie

Posted at 7:58 PM on November 11, 2011

she loves stefan more. obviously not!! and for the love of god use spell check or a thesaurus. and elena belongs with whomever makes her happy and that seems to be damon now and always. they bring out their true selves in each other and seems to smile more with damon even if they’re in the kitchen just cooking.

Arta

Posted at 11:53 AM on November 14, 2011

Sorry bit isn’t the whole point if the boy say I don’t love u i’m in love with u that ” I’m in love with u deeper than I love u???????

Princess

Posted at 4:02 PM on November 11, 2011

I REALLY DONT BUY DIS STUFF ABT HER LETTIN STEPHAN GO DEY WILL BE BCK TOGETHER IN LESS DANN NO TYM. SHE MIGHT BE IN LUV WITH DAMON TOO BUT SHE LUVS STEPHAN GO

Courtney

Posted at 2:07 PM on November 11, 2011

I wish that her and Damon become closer, we’ve seen Stefan and Elana together since s1. It’s time for a change.

kisairis

Posted at 12:44 PM on November 11, 2011

why wad she let go of stefun.and dosen’t she hate damon!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):)

Arta

Posted at 11:56 AM on November 14, 2011

Excuseme what the he’ll gave u that idea??????

janet

Posted at 12:15 PM on November 11, 2011

Elena really disappointed me. I thought she really loved Stefan. But for her to treat stefan the way she does. She is not a nice person. I mean he saved her life and Damons life. and she comes on to Damon all the time. and Damon is a bad brother.

gm

Posted at 1:02 PM on November 11, 2011

are you kidding me. did you miss all of s3 with elena and damon doing whatever they can 2 bring stefan back as far as even locking him up and even getting lexi’s ghost to help cure him and damon even telling klaus he wanted to switch places with stefan so to say they are acting selfish is completely unfair. klaus’ compulsion wore off so what the hell is stopping stefan from going back to elena now. damon is the “bad” brother for real. what the hell show have you been watching. stefan was the one with the ripper past and the bloodlust control and eventhough damon is desperately in love with elena he was still doing everything possible to get stefan back for elena and is NOT going after her so open your eyes next time you watch the show or are they suppose to put their lives on pause until stefan decides he wants to come back and fill them in on whats going on and why he did what he did.

janet

Posted at 1:27 PM on November 11, 2011

Damon compelled, slepted with and used Elenas supposed best friend Caroline, he killed her little brother Jeremy, he has attacked her. That’s why he is bad. Stefan has continuously protected them and all Elenas done is come on to Damon. I mean it’s her boyfiends older brother. This isn’t Jerry Springer, my girlfriend came on to my brother while I gave my life up to save them.

gm

Posted at 3:08 PM on November 11, 2011

if you hadn’t noticed jeremy is alive and talking to damon. and lets not even count the times damon has saved elena not stefan. as far as caroline since you have selective memory from the damon in s1 to the damon now actually saved caroline from being sacrificed along with her boyfriend causing him to get bitten. he was also there to save caroline when jules had her locked up. are you asleep when you watch all the evil things stefan has done and before he was compelled be klaus because i’m sure you were ready to use that as an excuse. all those people stefan killed in his ripper days didn’t come back to life like jeremy and alaric and since alaric forgave hime and they have their bromance and jeremy talks to damon if these people can forgive damon for what he did to them than why shouldn’t elena? damon and elena gone above and beyond to save stefan too so don’t act like he’s superior. damon was able to change fron who he was when elena first met him because of the love and affect she has on him but apparently she doesn’t have the same affect on stefan because she wasn’t able to do what lexi, damon and even katherine was able to do whether you have the ability to admit it or not and that honey says alot or should i say doesn’t say much about stelena’s epic love.

Beka

Posted at 7:57 PM on November 11, 2011

OMG GM i totally agree with you, i’m your newest fan i couldn’t have explained it better!!!!!

Arta

Posted at 3:34 PM on November 14, 2011

Ur like so right it’s like u said the things I was thinking when I read janets letter mean th whole time Stefan was with klause or was freed from his compultion he didn’t come back to Elena all those times he could. It’s like stolen fans r blind I mean it’s like they only seer stelena make out sessions and they only remember bad but hot Damon from the begging of season one haven’t they seen how many times damon has saved them all of them and Stefan …..let’s see 1, 2 ok got nothing more know both of them were very important but d has done such things like 1000 times even in the last episode he thought that he might be killed but he did it for Elena, stefan, and. Actually all the people on this planet I know I know thank u Stefan for Savin him but i u haven’t noticed now ur so called love o ur life is gonna be in danger for a long time well said gm well said

Fireball

Posted at 4:31 PM on November 12, 2011

Hey what’s your problem? Didn’t you watch the show? Damon and Elena did everything they could to bring Stefan back. And Damon is the Bad brother? Really ? Are you sure you watched the same show? So who is the Ripper ???? STEFAN !!! He’s the bad brother and not Damon. you aren’t able to see what’s really going on. So if you can’t stand the truth just be quiet.

Lilla

Posted at 11:26 AM on November 11, 2011

I love stefans character I dont understand why people find him boring his.character has been the most explosive this season. I like damon too, I really want him to be happy I do I guess its normal to root for the underdog I really just dont like elena I try but shes just annoying I really hope stefan finds a new real love that will never give up on him no matter what! Because even when he was compelled.by klaus he always protected damon and elena so its messed up that she would just give up on him but if she makes damon happy.then I guess im ok with it.

kayla

Posted at 11:10 AM on November 11, 2011

i love damon and elena, and i love stefan too but not as much as damon. stefans niceness gets boring. i hate to say it but stefan and elena will probably get back together..but hopefully if they do, elena will see that things will never be the same and that she dosent love him like she used to and end it for good. i also kinda wanna see single elena for a while. care free and super flirty, that would be fun and then finaly elena would see that she belongs with damon.but i can only hope.

grace

Posted at 10:58 AM on November 11, 2011

ofcoarse stelena will get back 2gether again at some point 2 continue the love trianle but the difference now is the damage is already done with that relationship and it will NEVER be the same cuz now elena is in love with damon 2 and because she tried so hard 2 stop it and even deny it thats what makes it even more intense and real and powerful. stefan might come back but ur fooling urself if u think it’s always gonna b stefan. the love she feels 4 stefan will be over shadowed by the guilt she feels 4 loving damon but eventually she will realize that the guilt is consuming her just like she realized her bling reckless love 4 stefan was consuming her. this is the reason she decided she had 2 let stefan go last season and it will be the reason she lets stefan go again. if it truely always was gonna be stefan then damon never would have had a chance 2 get into elena’s heart…but he did and he’s there 2 stay!!

grace

Posted at 11:10 AM on November 11, 2011

meant 2 say her BLIND reckless love.

grace

Posted at 11:11 AM on November 11, 2011

meant 2 say let stefan go last episode. guess i really should proof read b4 i post.lol

lena

Posted at 10:13 AM on November 11, 2011

I though they were going to kiss in the end (elena&&damon)
amazing episode, i screamed when mikael died. but i should of’ve known…. it would of been too easy to get rid of klaus. i was too focused on klaus that i didn’t even notice when katherine revealed herself, and the i was like “oh, it’s katherine” (that comes from a huge kathy fan)

and also what do you think – will klaus be pissed about becki?

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:22 AM on November 11, 2011

I think he’ll be pissed about Rebekah, but at least she’s not dead. I’m more worried about Rebekah being pissed at Elena… Just when they were becoming buddies :(

And yeah, I was really hoping there would be a kiss. Oh well. The waiting continues…

Arta

Posted at 3:44 PM on November 14, 2011

If only that stupid phone didn’t ring…….

mariane

Posted at 8:22 AM on November 11, 2011

STELENA forever! I truly love damon and I think he’s awesome but when it comes to elena and one of the salvatores it will always be stefan cz he tried everything to protect elena and damon but his dear brother instead of doing something nice to him he is developing his feelings to elena ! I don’t see it when elena is with damon! Sheis abviously gonna go back to stefan !!!!!

Bre

Posted at 8:20 AM on November 11, 2011

I think elena now realizes that she loves damon more than stefan no dont get me wrong Stefan and elena have there moments but not Damon and elena they have spark I love Delena always and julie plec and kevin are teaseing us delena fans we are going pissed. Delena

Judu

Posted at 8:02 AM on November 11, 2011

I think Damon just challenges her more, and even in the book she and Stefan have this kind of cooing, pet-name love going on, which honestly is annoying. Damon is grim and harsh and sexy but he cares the world about her and when it comes down to saving Elena he will do anything. I know that she probably will just go running back to Stefan later, but if Elena does not want Damon, I will have him!

Also I positively hate this favour count they are building between the brothers! STOP MAKING DAMON OWE STEFAN. I heavily dislike it! Stefan sacrificed himself for the cure to save Damon and now he also managed to save his brother’s life, AGAIN. I am afraid (God forbid) that Damon will see fit returning these favours by stepping away from Elena.

Arta

Posted at 3:51 PM on November 14, 2011

I think even if Damon step away elenas gonna pull him in just the way she did this time

mata1849

Posted at 7:44 AM on November 11, 2011

i think that elena will be strong feelings for damon than stefan..i dont see stelena comeback because elena fall in love damon

Angel

Posted at 10:53 AM on November 11, 2011

I think she will get back together with Stefan at some point simply because they never really got closure, and I’m sure a part of her still wants that and loves him. But I don’t think it’s going to last. Once she falls in love with Damon, the only way you can go is forward. I don’t think Elena is the kind of her who would yo-yo between them like Katherine did, so I think she’s going to fall for Damon, Good Stefan will come back, she’ll get back together with him, fall out of love with him, fall deeper for Damon, Stelena break up, and after some time, Delena will happen.

That’s just my theory.

Sara

Posted at 4:03 AM on November 11, 2011

Stefan and Elena are meant to be.They’ll be together soon.Bamon and Stelena forever!!!

Sara

Posted at 4:02 AM on November 11, 2011

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:19 AM on November 11, 2011

Haha, Bamon? Let’s not start talking crazy here ;)

Angel

Posted at 10:50 AM on November 11, 2011

Trololol. Bamon? Haha.

And by the looks of things, Delena is getting the endgame build-up. Just saying.

grace

Posted at 11:07 AM on November 11, 2011

look at all the relationships on the show especially the so-called epic stelena 1 sleeping 2gether by 10 episodes and proclaiming their love. delena is the only relationship on that show that got a true build-up. and it’s still building its way into an unbreakable foundation.

inara

Posted at 2:50 AM on November 11, 2011

I hate saying this but elena and stephan will be back together after a few episodes…..i m definately with delena but………

Ashley Evans

Posted at 1:31 AM on November 11, 2011

I think elena will always be torn between them but as long as stephen shows he is good she will always choose to be with him, poor damon though he is always second choice and loves and will do anything for her. And as soon as she finds out stephen did that for his brother she will go running right back into his arms. And as much as I wish it wasn’t so no matter how she feels about damon she will never date him

Arta

Posted at 4:01 PM on November 14, 2011

If she dates him carol in would actually turn into a werewolf

Carol

Posted at 1:14 AM on November 11, 2011

I’m a full on Delena fan, and I vote for them to be endgame. I’ve loved them since I read the books a couple years ago.
So, at much as it hurts me to say this, I do believe Stelena will be back on in a couple of episodes. It’s a love triangle, after all (even though that didn’t really apply in the first 2 seasons).

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:19 AM on November 11, 2011

Yeah, I have a feeling Stelena will be back soon… but a guy can dream.

Angel

Posted at 12:48 AM on November 11, 2011

Andyyyyyyy! I was thinking about this review after I saw the Delena moment, lol. I was like “I have to go to Hollywoodlife and see what Andy has to say about this epicness!”

Of course, you don’t disappoint ;) I honestly loved today’s episode on almost all levels! Katherine was back, and she cared enough about Damon to give up her own chance of freedom for him. Katherine told Stefan to let his anger back in, and he did, and now he’s a BAMF too!

I realy loved the Delena moment at the end – I can see the love between them more clearly now, and it’s becoming more and more obvious that Elena cares deeply about Damon – enough to comfort him and let Stefan go. And I’m happy that she’s ready to let go – not only for Damon, but also for herself – I was so afraid she wasn’t going to make good on the “I won’t love a ghost forever” thing, but she’s doing it! And I’m so happy!

I’m sad Forwood broke up, but I think they both have some maturing to do. Caroline’s “neurotic control freak on crack” act can only stretch so far, and Tyler’s douchy-ness isn’t helping.

Last, but not least, Stefan was saved because of his love for Damon. I just love that above all.

All in all, it was a great episode! Can’t believe we have to wait till January to see more, though.

Is it 2012 yet?! Lol :P

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:21 AM on November 11, 2011

Aw, thanks :) There was plenty of epicness to speak of.

Also sad about Forwood :(

And I, too, love Stefan as a BAMF.

As for Damon and Elena, I like that they’re easing into it rather than having them just go all out right away. They’re building up a friendship which will eventually blossom into something beautiful.

Pat

Posted at 12:39 AM on November 11, 2011

No Elena/Damon hasn’t really given up on Stefan. This is a show about a triangle/family so sometime soon Stefan will be back, there will be talking and Elena will start hanging with Stefan again. Damon will be glad to get his bro back BUT he will be all brooding, hurt,feeling lonely and left out so more Damon and random girl hookups there, DE angst, fighting etc…
That’s when the triangle will be in FULL force.Elena especially just can’t forget that GREAT DE friendship, bond, understnading with that love thrown in without it affecting her relationship with Stefan.SE just can’t turn back the clock.
This was a great episode though. Everyone was on FIRE. I am always impressed with how great Nina does two totally different characters such as Elena and Katherine.

stelena

Posted at 8:51 AM on November 11, 2011

we want stefan and elena to be together again!!!!!

grace

Posted at 11:00 AM on November 11, 2011

speak 4 urself cuz ur obviously not speaking 4 the majority. cw poll who elena should be with damon 74% and stefan 26%. enough said

Jenna

Posted at 3:41 PM on November 11, 2011

Speak politely or shut up !

grace

Posted at 11:38 AM on November 12, 2011

if you are talking to me what the hell makes you think you have the right to tell anyone to shut up and not have the right to express their opinion and what was so impolite about what i said..the truth!!! i guess the truth really does hurt so you can STFU and deal with it and realize you only have the right to tell yourself what to do cuz you sure as hell don’t have the right to tell me!

sarah

Posted at 12:25 AM on November 12, 2011

the “we” was for all stelena fans…. seriously it’s just a show -__-

behnam