'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Damon & Elena Let Stefan Go

Fri, November 11, 2011 12:02am EDT by 74 Comments
vampire diaries 3x09

Nina Dobrev was at her most bad-ass on ‘The Vampire Diaries’ midseason finale. Do you think Elena & Stefan are really over for good?

Every episode of The Vampire Diaries deserves a standing ovation worthy of Carnegie Hall, but the Nov. 10 midseason finale was one of those hours that literally takes the series to another level. When the dust finally settled, Mikael (Sebastian Roché) was dead, Stefan (Paul Wesley) was free from Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) compulsion, and Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally realized that Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is the better Salvatore.

OK, I may have embellished on that last one a little bit.

But there’s still no denying that “Delena” is closer to happening than ever before. While Damon and Elena plotted their attack on Klaus — Stefan was sort of lurking around too, I guess — Damon asked her if she trusts him; and not missing a beat, she answered, “Yes.” I feel like it was only yesterday that Elena was slapping Damon outside the school for even coming near her. My, how far these two have come.

Putting Elena and Damon’s drama aside for a brief second, we also got to know a lot more about the dysfunctional Original family — and talk about about daddy issues! It turns out Klaus hates Mikael because he felt like he could never live up to his expectations, while Rebekah (Claire Holt) hates him for turning their family into vampires in the first place. Of course, neither one of them will have to worry about Mikael anymore… now that he’s super dead.

Here’s how that whole plan went awry: Elena and Katherine — welcome back, lady — swapped places at the party so Katherine could survive Mikael’s stab wound and nail Klaus’ hybrid army with wolfs-bane grenades. That’s when Damon was supposed to stab Klaus with the one weapon capable of killing an Original, but Stefan swooped in and saved his master. This freed Klaus up to stab Mikael, and he stood and watched as the world’s first vampire went up in flames.

We later learned that Stefan knew killing Klaus would also mean Damon’s death — Klaus’ hybrids were commanded to kill anyone who harmed him — so his little act of rebellion was actually a sign of him “caring” about his brother. Someone should probably tell Damon that, as he was pretty pissed at the end of the episode.

And his anger led to a beautiful little “Delena” moment: There may not have been any kissing or beds involved, but there was lots of face touching — and that’s fine by me. “We’ll survive this,” she told Damon. “We always survive. Trust me.” And when he asked her what they were going to do about Stefan, she simply responded, “We’ll let him go, OK? We’ll have to let him go.”

Tyler (Michael Trevino) and Caroline (Candice Accola) are also in kind of a weird place after the events of this week’s episode. She’s been iffy about him ever since he became a hybrid, and him injecting her with vervain at the homecoming party certainly did nothing to ease her concerns. But he did it to keep her safe from Klaus’ little hybrid army, which he explained a little “trust me” speech at the end. I’m really curious to see how their relationship plays out.

Back to Stefan: I may think Elena belongs with Damon, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love Stefan. And his eyebrows. He can be truly awesome when he wants to be, like when he decided to use his newfound freedom to snatch up all of the Original family members’ bodies at the end of this week’s episode. He may have shaken off Klaus’ compulsion, but it looks like he kept that Ripper fire. I approve.

OK, enough ranting. What did YOU think of the midseason finale? Do you think Elena really let Stefan go for good? And who will Klaus choose as his first victim now that’s going on an all-out killing spree? Hit up the comments section below with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries

how do you make your ex girlfriend want you back

Posted at 3:50 AM on July 1, 2014

As a fellow relationship advice i want my wife back guy I completely
agree with Michael Fiore personally that Text Your Ex Back is an e-book developed by Michael Fiore.

comic-books

Posted at 3:36 AM on May 26, 2012

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly comeback.

Osita ogbonna

Posted at 3:56 AM on March 16, 2012

U guys did a nice job in dis episode,iys realy nice

Jelena

Posted at 10:46 AM on January 23, 2012

Brandy

Posted at 10:48 PM on January 22, 2012

I think that when stefan took elena to the bridge and did wat he did there he was doing for a good reason, and for letting elena go free and telling her that he didnt care wat she thought abt him anymore, its his way of protecting her too stefan isnt really bad he’s just got into a bad situation she may think he is bad and that he doesnt love her but he does he just cant really be there for her with klaus putting him in this situation and stefan loves his brother damon i for one am a damon and elena fan and am hopeing they get together damon does truelly care for her and i think stefan sees that to stefan doesnt want to hurt his brother so he will back down for him its up to elena and wat she decides though :=) they are all great

Kaylee

Posted at 11:49 AM on January 5, 2012

I think that Jeremy will be the one to leave the episode for a while, it’s also said that Caroline will have a little fling with Matt while her and tyler are on a break! And of course I think that elena and damon should be together! They are perfect for each other! + while stefan and damon are fighting I think stefan’s gonna tell him why he stopped him for killing Klaus and this will make damon guilty. I wonder what other family Klaus has?

Elli

Posted at 8:21 AM on December 31, 2011

I think Stefan and Elena will toghether,because they can’t live without each-others))so they need be 2gether))

katherina rose

Posted at 6:21 PM on December 28, 2011

i thinl elena should stay with stefan totally they make a more sweet romantic couple but she can still care and worry for damon it doesnt mean she has to hate him i think damon should be with rebekah now that she has entered the show

IvanaDyP

Posted at 2:40 PM on December 18, 2011

Can anyone please tell me, is it now shure that Damon is hybrid? I want to know that soo bad. :)
Btw, this was an AMAZING acrticle. <3 Such a beauitufl thoughts. :)

Breanna

Posted at 8:21 PM on December 12, 2011

Delena dont get mad julie plec said that “when they come back from break that Damon and elena moments become little hotter.so stelena fans kiss that

Jessi1005

Posted at 3:39 PM on December 12, 2011

does anyone know when the show will come back on from the mid season break, dying to see what happens with Damon and Elena

cindy

Posted at 3:41 AM on December 11, 2011

I don’t want Elena to forget about Stefan they r sooo cute together!!!

heran

Posted at 11:25 AM on December 10, 2011

I think this episode final was fantastic.it’s nice damon & helena had there moment but stephan’ is back and the movie just began.

Kate

Posted at 11:44 AM on December 3, 2011

I think that Damon and Elena will have a really good moment coming up. Like they finally kiss w/o one about to die or it being forced or anything else. Something intense. And then Stefan’s gonna come back to his senses and Elena will be with Stefan again (since of course she still loves him), but then this time around the triangle will actually be a triangle since she’d realize (w/whatever moment happened)that she loves Damon too. It’ll be fun to watch the awkwardness unfold there.

That’s my prediction.

cindy

Posted at 3:43 AM on December 11, 2011

i like your predictions kate…

Diana Calvert

Posted at 8:03 AM on November 28, 2011

I really would love Elena to be with Damon rather than Stefan, but my gut feeling is that in the end she will be with neither of them. If she really loved and wanted to be with one of them she should turn vampire, otherwise she will grow old and die and break their heart. But,unless she changes her mind she has made it very clear that she does not want to turn. So, stalemate, for now anyway. Things can change and they usually do on The Vampire Diaries!

juliusrobert eseosa

Posted at 3:38 PM on November 27, 2011

i do not think elena will leave stefan to go becouse elena love stefan more than demon.

Delena4ever

Posted at 11:28 PM on November 15, 2011

in my opinion I think that Damon and Elena should be endgame they have spark and fireworks I love the, to death if thwy are not endgame I will not watch vampire diaries at all…<3

Arta

Posted at 3:58 PM on November 14, 2011

I have no idea why but I really seem to hate bamon I mean seriously bonnie and Damon u gotta bkiddin I mean I like bonnie but I liked her ith Jeremy not with Damon and stelena I know why I don’t like It but who would even think about Damon with bonnie
DELENA4EVER!!!!