Moms Are Giving Birth Without A Doctor Or A Midwife! Are They CRAZY?!?

Fri, November 11, 2011 5:41pm EDT by 11 Comments

The free birth movement opts out of using a doctor or a trained midwife during the birth! Our obstetrician said this is TOTALLY ‘negligent’!

The Daily Mail reported the story of Cher Sievey, a designer and mom of three, who has given birth to not one, but two kids without the help of a trained professional. Can you believe this?!? She said a doctor told her she should be put in prison — even our expert was shocked she would attempt this!

The article discussed the ‘solo’ or ‘free birth’ movement, which some moms are turning to, including about 7,000 women in the U.S. every year! Unhappy with medical professionals and expensive midwife services, these women praise the freedom of giving birth at home in a natural setting. But at what risk?

“One doctor said I should be put in prison for what I planned to do,” Cher laughed. “One friend called me crazy. I suspect quite a few said the same behind my back.” We suspect so, too!

We asked obstetrician Dr. Tara Solomon her opinion on this controversial birthing method, and she said it was the dumbest thing she’s ever heard!

“I believe it’s a negligent mother to do that,” she said. “You’re taking your own chances!” Dr. Tara cited the significant risks involved including the increased rick of infant mortality, risk of maternal death and hemorrhages among other complications that could go wrong!

“You’re basically turning your delivery into a third world country,” she explained. If something went wrong with the birth, there’s no neonatal ICU nearby or even a doctor to help resuscitate. “It’s like going back to the 1800s.”

Did Cher consider the risks? For her second birth, she didn’t even have an emergency back-up plan! “Do I consider that reckless?” she said. “Not at all. A healthy person, giving birth at home is absolutely normal and natural. Whatever happened that night, we would have dealt with it.”

Do you think this woman is reckless? She took a HUGE risk having her child without any medical help! Or do you support the free birth movement?

More health stories:

1. A Baby’s Stress Level DOUBLES If Separated From Mom!
  2. A Panel Is Recommending HPV Vaccine For Young BOYS!
  3. Parents Should Limit Kids Television Use! A New Report!

Beach

Posted at 6:37 PM on December 13, 2013

Third world country???!!!! So, giving birth in my heated, 2700 square foot home with safe clean government treated water, a history of prenatal care, an ambulance 3 minutes away, with a well nourished body in perfect health suddenly becomes equivalent to an undernourished, rickets stricken, malaria ravished, impoverished woman giving birth in a shack in the jungle with no option of emergency medical care available and nothing but cholera infested water to drink, simply because I don’t have a medical professional in the room? Sometimes women give birth in the car……..ever hear about that going horribly wrong? Just how dangerous is birth, anyway?

lori

Posted at 1:46 PM on January 31, 2012

I had 7 children at home with my hushand and aunt to
help. Number 6 was born with only my hushand because
he came so fast.I don’t take my children to the
doctor unless they are sick. Some have never been to a
doctor. I love them dearly. I grow our own vegetables and
meat. We are very healthy. My oldest son has never missed

Janice

Posted at 7:24 AM on January 19, 2012

Thats a normal day where i live. our women are STRONG! we dont need a doctor. Heck our children are so healthy!!

Athena-Omorfi

Posted at 7:14 PM on November 15, 2011

When I decide to have a child it will be when I turn 37 and I will have a doula and a natural home water birth, Gisele Bundchen is my inspiration

Mandy

Posted at 5:18 PM on November 12, 2011

There is nothing wrong with homebirth in a healthy pregnancy with a healthy informed woman. But you should at least have a midwife and a back up plan. If you cannot afford a midwife’s services perhaps you shouldn’t be having a child. Children tend to be very expensive. Just my opinion. :)

gross

Posted at 5:24 PM on November 12, 2011

She apparently can’t even afford to buy toothbrushes for her or her children so I’m pretty sure a midwife was out of the question. Also is it me or is her son totally taking a dump in that picture?

Pencils

Posted at 10:52 AM on November 12, 2011

She’s crazy. No matter how many kids you have, something could go wrong. My mom nearly bled to death during her fourth delivery due to the placenta separating too soon. The baby died. She had three fast, easy births, then that happened. And when I had my first baby, I assumed it would be easy, as I have wide hips. What I didn’t know is that they’re also wide on the inside, which means the opening in my pelvis is really small. My daughter couldn’t fit out, I never got over 4cms, eventually I had a C-section because she wasn’t coming out that way. If this had been in the old days, I would have been one of those women who eventually died after days of labor.So, yeah, if you want to give birth at home, that’s great, but have a midwife there and a plan to go to the hospital if things go wrong. Women have *always* died in childbirth, babies have always been stillborn or died shortly afterward. Modern medicine is what changed that, so why go back to the old ways? It’s just dumb.

Janna

Posted at 10:00 PM on November 11, 2011

If doctors and hospitals would just allow mothers to give birth without so much damn intrusiveness and unnecessary intervention, more women would see hospitals as a viable option. As it is, so many hospitals still insist on IVs, constant painful cervical checks, birthing while lying down… It’s crazy. No wonder so many women are moving to mid-wives and home births. Hey, doctors and nurses? Just let us be! You are only supposed to be there JUST IN CASE!

Beth

Posted at 10:44 AM on November 12, 2011

You are ignorant. Nurses monitor the baby for any heart rate abnormalities, check you because if the baby is in an akward position this could cause injury to the baby, and most will minimize checking to only a few times. Nurses will also encourage the birthing ball, squating ect, it is only when the baby’s heart rate goes down do they move to the lying positon. Don’t insult the medical profession just because you may have had a bad experience.

Pencils

Posted at 10:54 AM on November 12, 2011

My daughter went into distress twice during labor. If she hadn’t been monitored, she would have had brain damage or even died. So shut up. I prefer my brilliant, beautiful toddler the way she is, and I was fine with a monitor and the cervical checks. Yeah, they hurt, but they were for our own good.

Mom of 2

Posted at 8:03 PM on November 11, 2011

Wow, how totally closed minded of you to post this. Did you do any research? Why don’t you discuss why the US has the second highest infant/mother mortality rate of the modern world. Why don’t you post an article about why the US c-section rate is so high despite studies(done in the US) indicating that it increases the risk of respitory problems in newborns, and complications for the Mom and baby. Why don’t you do some research and discuss just how safe unassistated and home births are.
Bottom line: DO SOME RESEARCH, EDUCATE YOURSELF AND MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION INSTEAD OF JUST DOING WHAT EVERYONE ELSE TELLS YOU TO DO, OR BEFORE YOU MAKE IGNORANT, UNEDUCATED OPINIONS!