'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: Meredith & Derek Lose Zola! Plus, Henry Dies

Fri, November 11, 2011 8:50pm EDT by 15 Comments

The court decides not to give baby Zola back to Meredith and Derek. Meanwhile, Teddy, Owen and Richard trick Cristina into unknowingly operating on Henry and he dies!

Something actually happened on the latest episode of Grey’s Anatomy!

Not just one thing, but three huge things took place at Seattle Grace Mercy West and its surrounding areas, which means it must be November sweeps!

1. Zola is gone! Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) and Derek (Patrick Dempsey) are informed by mean social worker Janet that Zola will be placed with another family. Both of them, as well as Alex (Justin Chambers), blame themselves.

2. Henry dies! After spitting up blood last week, Henry (Scott Foley) needs surgery. Teddy (Kim Raver) wants Cristina (Sandra Oh) to operate on her husband, but she doesn’t want Cristina to know it’s Henry undergoing the procedure. You can tell where this is going.  He dies on the table, and Cristina is furious when she finds out that Owen (Kevin McKidd), Richard (James Pickens Jr.) and Lexie (Chyler Leigh) kept his identity a secret. (As a side note, I’m glad he’s dead. The Teddy-Henry dynamic reeked of Denny-Izzy.)

3. Alex & Meredith get hit by a car! On their way back from picking up a premature infant in what must have been Deliverance country, the ambulance they are riding in breaks down. And apparently, Oxygen tanks, a small mountain road and rain make for dangerous conditions for the doctors and their patient. Lo and behold, another car hits them — killing three people. But since it is TV land, Alex and Mer are fine, and so is the infant. For now.

At the end of the hour, Teddy still didn’t know that Henry died — she was operating on a patient whose surgery was botched by Callie (Sara Ramirez) and Jackson (Jesse Williams) — and Alex and Meredith are still stuck in the mountains with three dead bodies and a baby that needs major medical care.

What did you think of the episode, HollywoodLifers?

– Denise Warner

Follow Denise On Twitter!

More ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ News!

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek Is Ruining Meredith’s Career!
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: I Wish Mark Had Hooked Up With Jackson’s Mom After The Penis Transplant!
  3. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: The 7 Reasons Why Derek Really Sucked Tonight!

Suzie

Posted at 5:29 PM on March 26, 2012

Why the hell did Henry have to die? He was he one person on Grey’s that I actually liked and now that he is gone, it doesn’t feel like Grey’s Anatomy anymore, I mean, Henry was the cool guy although he had Hemangioblastomas and Von Hippel-Lindau disease but still, WHY???

Simon

Posted at 4:24 AM on April 9, 2012

I myself have Von Hippel Lindau and thought it was great that Grey’s featured it as much as they did on the show. There is also an episode of “House”…think it’s season 3 and episode 2 that also spotlights VHL. VHL is a pain in the butt honestly. I go in the Hospital soon for yet another surgery. It is what it is but awareness is a wonderful thing!

Stephanie

Posted at 7:12 PM on December 28, 2011

Grey’s USED to be the one show that I HAD to watch every week, but now I’m actually hoping that this is the last season!! The writer(s) have just made the show so depressing. It’s like no one can stay happy for longer than 2 episodes or they have to go killing people off. It’s ridiculous! It took me a whole season to get over them killing off Denny, and I’m even more pissed about Henry!!! FINALLY they give Teddy someone to make her happy and they are so cute together, and of course, they go and kill him off. He could have easily been made a permanent part of the show. Since he was talking about wanting to go to medical school they could have made him an intern OR he could have had a part time role showing up for his Doctor’s visits or for things outside the hospital like the softball game, holidays, dinners, etc.

Kathleen R

Posted at 6:35 PM on December 6, 2011

Is Zola autistic? I hope not, because if she is then that beautiful child is autistic in real life too. She is much too young to be acting.

If she is autistic, I hope the series has the courage to delve into the scandals surrounding research on this tragic disease and especially the role of vaccine makers, who have spent many millions of dollars to debunk the theory that one of the ingredients in MMR vaccine, and unnecessary ingredient at that, is to blame.

tracie

Posted at 7:55 AM on November 22, 2011

What the hell… Meredith and Derek not getting Zola back… put Christina operating on another husband she’s going to lose it , just hope not as bad as she did with Derek… Meredith hWhat the hell… Meredith and Derek not getting Zola back… put Christina operating on another husband she’s going to lose it , just hope not as bad as she did with Derek… Meredith has bad luck her and Alex. Poor Derek he lost Zola and Now he’s not sure if his wife is alive… loved the episode can’t wait till January to see what happens next

Bernie

Posted at 7:31 AM on November 12, 2011

This is ridiculous. Why did Henry have to die? Actually, why can’t a freaking character be happy for more than two or three episodes? Teddy and Henry’s relationship DIDN’T have to be another Izzy-Denny, because Henry could have LIVED. Or at least died later on in the season; although that would have been even MORE heartbreaking.

I’m feeling pathetic for crying like a lunatic, but honestly, WHY KILL THE SWEET GUYS, ALL. THE. TIME! If Shonda has to get her kicks by killing characters, why can’t she head for the annoying ones like Kepner? I’m not sure I’ll be watching Grey’s again. After 8 years, I’m sick of seeing the good guys go… Even if it’s only on a TV show.

Willa

Posted at 3:39 PM on November 11, 2011

The court just cancelled a court hearing. It was Merideth jumping to conclusions that they lost Zola. Henry was sick for a long time. I am kind of sad to see Henry die. Oh well…just as Teddy finds love he dies. I also think the way Owen kept popping in on the Teddy surgery was uncalled for. Why not just stay out and tell Teddy afterwards!

Faith

Posted at 9:43 AM on November 11, 2011

I was sad that Henry died. I actually liked him and Altman as a couple.

Veronica

Posted at 8:11 AM on November 11, 2011

Okay, the way they killed him was just plain AWFUL not that is sucked but it was so SAD. Yang was treating him like a doll, even if it wasn’t Henry I think it would be rude. And that was just MEAN when they didn’t let Teddy know. Not Hunt but the WRITERS, I think that was just a tiny bit too much. First, they actually KILL him off and then they don’t even tell Altman!! And I’m so freaking scared for Mer and Alex AND the baby!!!! I hate you Shonda for not airing any episodes until January!!!

lind

Posted at 3:00 PM on November 11, 2011

Yes, I’m sure Owen telling Teddy her husband died while she’s conducting a freaking heart surgery is a good idea. Watch that part again, Richard is just having Owen not tell her until the person who can take over comes.

Also Yang has always been like that. Half the cast is like that. They trade around surgeries like kids with playing cards.

Suzie

Posted at 5:33 PM on March 26, 2012

Tell you what. It is actually ALtman’s fault because if she had let Doctor Webber (Richard) take out Henry’s lung then he would still be alive but Shonda had to kill him!

Rachel

Posted at 2:42 AM on November 11, 2011

I was furious that Henry died!!!!! I was really starting to like him and teddy! It made Teddy more fun and not so upbeat! Damn just when it’s getting good shonda has to kill people!! :'(

Veronica

Posted at 8:07 AM on November 11, 2011

I know right! I totally cried, no joke. I LOVED HENRY.

Willa

Posted at 10:35 AM on November 12, 2011

Henry’s character DID grow on me too. I enjoyed how Teddy and Henry blossomed. This pairing did not remind me of Izzy and Denny.

Suzie

Posted at 5:30 PM on March 26, 2012

I know, I mean Henry was such a nice guy and he never did a thing to hurt anyone so why did he have to die? Why not kill Alex or Mark off?