Robert Pattinson's Fans Need to Let Him Grow Beyond Edward, Says 'New Moon' Director Chris Weitz

Tue, November 8, 2011 4:18pm EDT by 10 Comments
Robert Pattinson

If fans really love Rob and have his best interest at heart, then they’ll have to let Edward go, says Chris

If you want Robert Pattinson to have a long career in Hollywood then he needs your help! HollywoodLife.com spoke with New Moon director Chris Weitz on Nov. 8 at a lunch honoring his new film A Better Life and he tells us that “the big question” is whether Twilight fans will be able to let Edward and Robert go separate paths after the final Breaking Dawn flick hits theaters. Does Chris think it’s possible?

“The really big question vis-à-vis Twilight fans whether to let Edward Cullen exist in one part of their hearts and let Rob Pattinson you know grow past his vampuric young age in another part of their hearts. They are going to grow as an audience too inevitably and I think they will. I hope they will. But I also think there’s an audience of people who didn’t grow up watching Twilight movies who will really recognize this is a really talented young guy.”

Rob already proved himself as an unbelievable actor in Water for Elephants and his upcoming flick Cosmopolis will definitely solidify Rob as a big Hollywood player. But do you think Twi-hards will have a hard time seeing Rob is roles other than Edward?

— Chloe Melas

More ‘Breaking Dawn!’

1. Rob Screwed Up The ‘Breaking Dawn’ Wedding — Find Out How!
  2. Robert Pattinson: Why It’s Hard To Do Sex Scenes With Kristen Stewart! Video Interview!
  3. Robert Pattinson Reveals What He Envies About Taylor Lautner!

Jenny

Posted at 2:08 PM on November 12, 2011

Rob was Cedric before he was Edward – Twilight has actually been his weakest performance, to be honest [ not his fault, the material is bad - he was doing what he could with what he was given ]. His greatest roles have been Tyler in Remember Me and Jacob in Water for Elephants, and he did a great job as a supporting role for Vanity Fair even though his scene got cut. I’m really looking forward to seeing him in Cosmopolis. I only see him going up, he’s got a great talent and just needs more opportunities to prove to people that he’s more than Edward Cullen.

dee

Posted at 1:46 AM on November 10, 2011

I already see Rob as a man! Of course I love him playing Edward in the Twilight saga, but I saw Remember Me and I totally loved it! I knew then, he definetly has a career ahead of him post Twilight! Also saw WFE and loved that one also! He definetly can do variations of acting! I will be watching his other movies! He is a man, I can see that. I feel for him, wish he did get some privacy. He is handling the interviews and press very well right now! Yes, I will never forget Twilight, but I see Rob as simply Rob, himself!Can’t wait to see Bel Ami and Cosmopolis after BD! He deserves really good things . He has done so much for his fans. True Twilighters will follow his career I hope! He’s such an amazing actor! He’s has so much humor! How many tines have I laughed hearing him in an interview. Yes, I am an older fan and proud of it. People will let him grow, he already has. You can tell, watch the interviews. I am so glad he was in Twilight, because now we have this amazing and wonderful person and actor that we all love and he will continue to do great movies after the saga is done! One day he’ll be holding an Oscar! I believe that! Always got his back! Yes, Remember Me had me crying for like 15mins. I still think about that touching, great movie!

Jessica

Posted at 12:46 AM on November 9, 2011

I love Rob. I discovered him because of Twilight but I have watched all of his movies. He’s only going to grow and get better. I love twilight but I am excited for it to be over in a year. Only then will people start to back off a little and then he can concentrate on his career choices and HOPEFULLY the twi-hards will follow his career. I get tired of listening to girls scream over him. He’s just a person. I feel bad he gets stalked by the paparazzi. It’ll be nice to just follow his career outside of Twilight. We will always have the Twilight movies to go back to but he deserves some of his privacy back. ok I’m done ranting! Rob if you read this, I got ur back man!!! LOL : )

Carolyn

Posted at 9:40 PM on November 8, 2011

Robert Pattinsto has proven that he is an excellent actor. He became Edward for the Twilight Saga and his acting made it appealing to older fans. I saw Remember Me and could not believe this was Robert. The ending remained with me for quite sometime. It was hard to shake off. That’s how believable he played the character. Very pleased to see him in a different role. I will watch Water for Elephants because he is in the movie. I am excited and looking forward to seeing him in future roles. I am an older fan and look forward to him leaving the “teens” behind. Robert has a fan base that will follow him. Move forward!

Sandy

Posted at 7:24 PM on November 8, 2011

As soon as the fans realize Robert Pattinson is just and actor. It will happen. He has proven that hes good and he can play in different charactors forms.I’ve seen a lot of his movies and he’s good. Not just twilight movies. But the question is can Robert deal with no more fans howlering after him. He need to separate himself from not everything surronding him and Kristen. Carry on a conversation without having to bring Kristen up in it when he’s interviewing especially if he’s hasn’t been asked a question About her. It’s doesn’t mean thy are not and item. I think he loves her and thats a good thing. I think he can and will do well.

Lili

Posted at 6:28 PM on November 8, 2011

I agree…I think the issue is that he has some seriously crazy fans. I’m talking about the ones who can’t stand that he is close to Kristen Stewart, or the ones who can’t stand it if he is friendly with any other women besides Kristen Stewart. Basically, the extreme Robsten or Nonsten types. They need to regard him as an actor first, separate from Twilight, his girlfriend, and everything else. I read on Lainey that a bunch of women sent a petition to Fox trying to get Kristen Stewart banned from the WFE premiere, which is absolutely ridiculous. That is the sort of behavior I’m talking about. Or how every tabloid went after Sarah Gadon when she signed off on Cosmopolis but quickly stopped. No female star is going to want to be in his movies if they know they will attract his rabid fan base.

Michele

Posted at 4:55 PM on November 8, 2011

I really like Chris, he seems like such a cool guy.

I think the Twilight fans who are fanatical will eventually move on, (probably a good thing) but the fans who appreciate Rob’s talent for other roles will be long lasting.

My husband and I watched Remember Me and he liked it. I was careful not to gush too much . . . Once Twilight was on and I had to turn it off for his cracks – not at Rob so much, just the whole teen angst thing he makes fun of. But the fact that he liked Remember Me, and I know will like Water for Elephants, (as long as I keep my comments to myself for I don’t need him teasing me). And Cosmopolis – yes. He is a huge Cronenberg fan. Actually, it’s the same when we watch something with Viggo – my husband likes him but I try to keep my comments to myself. Oh, I digress here.

Twi-hards might not be able to make the transition, more because they won’t be interested in the films Rob is going for. But for Rob to shake that Edward thing, yes he will inevitably lose the young fans.But he will gain a whole new audience who doesn’t want to turn him into a poster pin-up, and instead appreciates his talent and what he contributes to the movie, like Johnny Depp and Leo Decaprio, and Viggo Mortenson, etc.

Win-win for Rob.
Michele

guest

Posted at 4:45 PM on November 8, 2011

I enjoyed the books – thought the movies were OK, but ADORE Rob Pattinson. Really enjoy his work outside the franchise the most! I think most of his fans are older and are anxious to see him in other roles!

Jane

Posted at 4:33 PM on November 8, 2011

Rob doesn’t have to depend on the teens to carry his movies for there are plenty of older fans that are more than happy to see any film he is in. They carried Remember Me which made $56million on an $18million budget and sold over $10million in DVD’s and Water for Elephants made $117million over a $38million budget and the first numbers have not come out yet on the DVD’s. So, I don’t think he has to worry for his older fans like him as Rob, not Edward.

kim

Posted at 4:38 PM on November 8, 2011

Remember Me cost $16m and made over $12m on DVDs. I agree that his fanbase is old enough.