Kirstin Says: Congrats On Baby 20, Duggars! If Anyone Deserves More Kids, It's YOU!

Tue, November 8, 2011 10:09pm EST by 44 Comments
Duggar Family

It seems like everyone is complaining about Michelle and Jim Bob having more kids, but have you seen what great parents they are?

If everyone raised their children like Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar, the world would be a better place. Regardless of your religious and political beliefs, there’s no denying these parents have taught their children respect, patience and love — character traits I think are greatly lacking in today’s society.

Whenever I bring up my love for the Duggar family, people think I’m nuts. I live in Los Angeles, don’t go to church, have fairly liberal social beliefs and basically couldn’t be further from that family if I tried. However, I look forward to watching their show every single week. There’s something refreshing about seeing a family who puts each other first and loves others with an open mind.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the show, all of Michelle and Jim Bob’s kids are home schooled; they all play instruments and sing; each child has responsibilities and helps take care of siblings and they couldn’t be more respectful. Additionally, they give back to their community and the older kids go on yearly mission trips for charity work. Even though they don’t listen to secular music or watch TV, they don’t judge those who do. They’ve just accepted it’s not for them.

For example, their cousin, Amy, is an only child, who wears makeup and trendy clothes and does everything like a normal 20-something, but they still hang out together and accept her. She thinks they are “nuts” for how old-school they run their home, but appreciates them for who they are.

The Duggars are educated and are probably learning more in their home school program than those enrolled in public or private schools. Some people say kids who are home schooled are socially inept, but thanks to all their siblings, plus all the home school retreats and social functions they attend, the Duggars seem like they hold their own just fine when it comes to interacting with others.

Other people complain about how the Duggars date. The older kids don’t date; they have chosen to court and save themselves for marriage…but it’s not something that’s forced on them by their parents. Obviously, it’s not a choice many of us would make, but so far it’s working for them. Who cares if they save kissing for marriage? It’s not like all of our secular marriages are working out so well.

Another concern critics have is the Duggar kids don’t get much one-on-one attention. If Jim Bob and Michelle were at the offices every day slaving away with nannies raising their kids, I’d agree. However, they are self-employed, do financially well and have dedicated their entire lives to the well-being of their family. More parents should do the same. Plus, the kids have each other. I doubt any of them feel all that lonely.

I will say, however, I’m concerned about Michelle and this baby’s well-being. Michelle nearly died giving birth to Josie, their nineteenth child, who was born several months premature. Thankfully, both Michelle and Josie are fine now, but it’s been touch and go. I hope things go more smoothly this time around.

Lastly, I want to be clear: I’m not saying every family should have 20 kids. That’s absurd and would screw up our planet even more than we already have. However, if every family put as much effort into creating smart, generous, educated and loving kids as the Duggars, things in this world would be changed for the better.

What are your thoughts on the Duggars? Do you appreciate them or are you still against what they belief?

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

More Duggar News!

1. ’19 Kids’ And Still Counting! Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar Want MORE Children!
  2. Oh No! Little Jason Duggar Fell And Was Rushed To The Hospital!
  3. ’19 Kids And Counting’ Finale: Michelle Duggar Admits She’d Love MORE Kids! Can You Believe It?

Loki

Posted at 7:49 AM on August 31, 2012

These people are uttlerly disgusting. You think this is good parenting? They are home schooled, which will make them socially retarded when they grow up. They aren’t allowed to go to university, so most will not be successful. EVERYTHING to them is about god, therefore they can’t enjoy life because they are BRAINWASHED to only think about the afterlife. They aren’t even allowed to dance! Also, all the older kids slave to take care of the younger kids. They aren’t allowed to have a life. Doctors and nurses at the hospital she delivers at refuse to work on her because her uterus is quote ‘paper thin’, yet she still can’t close her legs despite the fact that that can cause birth defects, miscarriage, and possibly can be fatal to her. I truly hope she dies in childbirth soon.

Michele Chancey

Posted at 9:42 PM on August 6, 2012

baby#20 due april 18th 2012

Sharon

Posted at 1:48 AM on March 28, 2012

I think the Duggars are a warm and wonderful family with values that are unfortunately seldom seen nowadays. I do however think that Michelle is just getting to old at 45 to keep having children and I think by having more pregnancies she is putting her life in danger and she needs to stop now and be able to be there to raise the 19 children God has already blessed her with…I also think these comments that some of these individuals make are terrible and I feel sad that someone could be that heartless and say such cruel things about this amazing family. They take care of themselves,they help each other and also their community,the are hard working,smart,honest,decent,loving people and anyone who says these terrible things about them needs to look in the mirror and they then can see something “disgusting”. All will be judged but not by you!

Icantbelievethis

Posted at 8:55 PM on March 6, 2012

These people are POLLUTING the Earth and should be sterilized. The fact that people support them having more kids simply disgusts me. No family should have more than 3 kids!! We are killing this planet and it saddens me. I literally refuse to watch the show because I will not support them in any way. Disgusting.

Lissa

Posted at 8:38 PM on November 24, 2011

I’m 20 and I dream of getting parenting lessons from the Duggars. Now, I do listen to a larger variety of music than they do, and I’ve spent one on one time with a guy before (just as friends- I’ve never dated anybody), but I also agree with a LOT of their beliefs.

To be perfectly honest, the idea of having a lot of kids scares me, but at the same time I tend to agree with their views on birth control. They, like I, have a strong belief that life begins at conception, and they don’t want their decision to risk taking the life of their unborn child (even if they are unaware there is one at the time). They have decided to leave it to God.

Which brings me to an observation I’ve made recently. The age difference between Josie and Baby #20 (who I have named Jolly Rancher Duggar) is greater than the distances between other Duggar births. Now, I honestly think their faith and trusting God for that has a huge part in it. It would’ve been a lot worse if Jolly Rancher came about while things with Josie were still bad, but because of the spacing, Josie was able to get the extra attention she needed without having to worry about a newborn.

And, I should also mention that they don’t take handouts. They GIVE. They live debt free. Their kids are relatively healthy (save for Josie, of course). They go out and help where they can. Even the younger kids (Jordyn, Jennifer, Johannah, Jackson, etc.) had a part in helping out with the tornado relief in Alabama. Sure, they only planted flowers and painted flower pots to give to people there, but even at as young as 2-and-a-half, the kids are learning to give where they can. They don’t have this attitude that “they’re too young to hammer some nails, so they can’t help.”

Michelle Duggar always said that she’d love to have more kids, but ultimately, she decided to leave it up to God. The fact that she’s sticking to her commitment to trust God with the number of kids- even after what happened with Josie- shows that her faith is stronger than her circumstances.

Java

Posted at 7:04 PM on November 25, 2011

If you take birth control, you won’t get a conception. How’s that not respecting life begins at conception? The Duggers didn’t want to taking birth control. That’s what puzzles me. If every sperm is precious, wouldn’t eggs be even more precious (by sheer number comparison). And you know what you need to do if you want to make every egg count (think about the ones that came down before marriage).

Virginia

Posted at 4:16 AM on February 25, 2012

Michelle & Jim Bob have explained on the show that after having their first child, Michelle was on birth control but ended up conceiving anyways (it does happen) but then lost the baby and was told the birth control she continued taking before she found out she had conceived was the probable cause of the miscarriage. They took that as a sign from god and decided to stop using birth control.

J

Posted at 10:43 PM on December 8, 2011

I commend you for your response and beliefs. It’s great to hear such values from a younger person at this time. I’m older and cringe with all the immorality in the world. My only hope is for more people like yourself and the Duggar family!

Ivette

Posted at 12:42 AM on November 23, 2011

Their children look healthy and clean, but what amazes me is their good behavior. Who am I to ask them to stop having babies? They know what they are doing and Mrs. Duggar irradiates love and patience.

Joe-Ann Arbor

Posted at 12:57 PM on November 21, 2011

I think the Duggar family is twisted, there is no possible way the children are getting the attention they need and deserve. I think the parents have turned to exploitation and remind me a lot of the Gosslings!

Nicole M.

Posted at 4:15 PM on November 17, 2011

I love the Duggar family! And I’d like to address the issue of Josie’s prematurity. This last pregnancy wasn’t the first time Michelle developed preeclampsia – she also had it with twins Jana & John-David, the 2nd and 3rd born of the family. She went on to have 15 more children with no complications. There’s also been a number of mothers who have had premature babies and gone on to have healthy pregnancies. And it’s not like Michelle isn’t taking any precautions. She’s eating healthy, working out, and doing everything she can to ensure a healthy pregnancy. This next baby is at a higher risk for premature birth, not only because of Josie’s birth, but also because of Michelle’s age – but that doesn’t mean he or she will indefinitely be born early. I don’t think any of us have the right to judge their family, as none of us have been in their shoes.

Meloney A

Posted at 1:13 PM on November 17, 2011

I am so glad that I live in a country that does not decide how many children I can have.

Java

Posted at 7:09 PM on November 25, 2011

Nobody is deciding how many kids she could have. They made their lives public, actually more than that, they made their lives into entertainment. The viewers are free to cheer or diss them.

flower

Posted at 8:21 PM on November 30, 2011

they dont live in a country that tells u how many children u can have its up to the duggars if they want to have alot of children good for them.

trish

Posted at 9:43 PM on November 9, 2011

Look what happened last time!!! She and the baby almost died! And I’m pretty sure that was due to her age not to mention all the damage that is caused from having babies without allowing yourself to heal first. Don’t they recommend a couple of years before getting pregnant again with another baby. This lady is popping one out left and right without giving herself a rest. What if this happens again? Will they THEN decided it’s time to stop or still hold everything up to god?!

ruth

Posted at 2:09 PM on November 9, 2011

i think that the duggars are sick and i did not want the duggars to come to eurpore

flower

Posted at 8:17 PM on November 30, 2011

they are not sick and they dont have to come to ur state its up to them how many children they want and they are respectful people and good manners.

klloyd

Posted at 3:21 AM on November 9, 2011

7 BILLION People on this earth with finite resources…so many poor starving children. We need to be preaching responsible family planning.

Nicole M.

Posted at 4:18 PM on November 17, 2011

While I see your point, the Duggars go on yearly trips to South America to help out poor and needy families, and they spend a lot of time helping out wherever and whenever they can. Compared to all of the people in the world who do absolutely nothing to help, I think, at the very least, it’s a good thing that this family is making an effort.

Dee

Posted at 1:40 AM on November 9, 2011

Well said.

Sandi Rae

Posted at 1:26 AM on November 9, 2011

Wow, Turtle (?) & Sml, Sick & Wrong, J, Camryn, Kris and Alli, oh please. You may disagree with the way this family is committed to religion and raises their children, but no need to be so nasty. Are you having a bad day? Jealous maybe? Wanted to travel and can’t?

The world can tell these are great well-adjusted kids without a lot of mental health, anger management, academic, behavior acting out, issues — unlike the Gosselin and Octomom kids — please pray for the exploited Gosselins.

Sick & Wrong

Posted at 12:09 PM on November 9, 2011

Jealous of what? Having a uterus that rivals the Lincoln Tunnel. Uh, no thanks. Where do you live Utah? Don’t tell me Warren Jeffs is your ex husband, right!?! Ever heard of Freedom of Speech? No reason to bash people for their opinion just because you don’t agree with it. Crawl out of the Compound and read the Constitution.

Sml

Posted at 1:19 AM on November 9, 2011

Why do they need 20 kids for?What?Are they really that scared to be lonely.By the time she is done raising them all she’s gonna be like 90 years old and have all of the older children raise them for her.She needs to close the baby making factory down.

Kerrie

Posted at 11:31 PM on November 8, 2011

I think the parents are being selfish. What happens if she dies while giving birth? She almost did last time. I think they’re weird. The mom is scary nice. They legit scare me.

Randi

Posted at 8:28 PM on November 8, 2011

Love, love, love the Duggars. Good luck with the new little one.

So glad the Gosselins are off TLC and Octomom never got a show.

Huge difference in morals between Gosselins/Octomom and Duggars. The Duggars look like rationale, hard working, ethical, sensible, truthful, religious people and the Gosselins and Octomom (ahhh, what can you say, trailer parks trash with out-of- control kids raised by a continuous trail of nanny after nanny). No hope for Gosselin or Octomom kids. So sad really.

Sher

Posted at 10:20 AM on November 12, 2011

Trailer Park Trash…..excuse me. Don’t you think it’s time to drop the stereotype? We lived in a snobby upscale community, in a college town. We now live in a beautiful manufactured home community. The people are nicer the kids more respectful. My husband is a retired educator. He doesn’t wear a wife beater,smoke,or drink. It’s people like you that try to give peple like us, a complex about chosing to live in this community. Please stop. Oh by the way…the Duggers are a lovely family. If we had more families like theirs, the world would be a better place.

Sick & Wrong

Posted at 6:00 PM on November 8, 2011

The entire Dugar family should be sterilized. Having babies for tv time is not the reason to have children. They are not allowed to have pets. All of their kids are responsible for taking care of each other. For Christ’s sake baby Josie has spent the entire last year fighting for her life. The Michelle and Jim are selfish fools. Their family is run like a bootcamp. All the crap the Gosslings and Octomom gets and everyone jumps on the Duggar baby wagon. I think the parents are disgusting.

Nicole M.

Posted at 4:24 PM on November 17, 2011

The Duggars actually do have pets, and have in the past. I believe right now they have 2 cats. And they most certainly aren’t having babies to be on TV. They had 14 before Discovery ever did a show on them, and 17 before they had a show. And the kids don’t take care of each other. The older ones make sure the younger ones are staying safe and help them out, but I don’t think they’re FORCED to do it. I’m 16, and when I was 12 I used to spend hours watching my (then) 3 and 1 year old nephews and teaching them things. I loved it, and I can’t imagine Michelle would make her kids do it if they really didn’t want to. And yes, it’s sad what happened to Josie, but just because she was premature doesn’t mean the next baby will be. There have been plenty of cases where a mother has a premature baby and goes on to have a healthy pregnancy.

70119

Posted at 9:55 AM on August 24, 2012

Vile people who should be sterilized. It is so unfair to those children to multiply like roaches. Children need individual attention rather than some sick communal life. They do nothing to promote individuality. All they want is for their children to be little drones. They are oppotunists who are being paid by tv to pop out children like a possessed toaster.

Sue

Posted at 5:28 PM on November 8, 2011

Don’t watch the show or make comments about this terrific family if you don’t like them.

I love the Duggars and will continue to watch.

Joey

Posted at 5:26 PM on November 8, 2011

Turtle (?) are you not taking your medication. I think you need some serious help.

Joey

Posted at 5:25 PM on November 8, 2011

Wow Turtle (?). Are you not taking your medication?

Luanne

Posted at 5:23 PM on November 8, 2011

Camryn, you sound so angry and jealous? What is going on for you. I love watching this family on TLC and I can’t wait to see the Europe and other travel segments.

Jeesh, just don’t watch. The Duggar family is one of the few TLC reality families that presents as a good role model family. Thank heavens the Gosselin mess is finally off of TV.

Turtle

Posted at 5:21 PM on November 8, 2011

You could not be wrong about the Duggars. They do not raise their children, they make their older children raise them. Their kids do not receive education beyond a high school equivalency. Their daughters are trained from a very young age to handle domestic duties, and in the Duggard family that means cooking large amounts of food, doing tons of laundry, in addition to raising the younger children. If the females want to work when they’re older, at most they’ll be midwives or duolas. They’ll raise babies all through their adolescence, and then once they’re married will be required to go through multiple pregnancies, as that is her “wifely” duty.

Also, the parents DO force the system of courtship on their kids. It is part of Quiverfull “beliefs” that the fathers have to sign off on the relationship before the kids even do.

This is not an independent lifestyle choice that doesn’t affect anyone. The movement is especially harmful to girls, how can anyone defend it?

J

Posted at 6:13 PM on November 8, 2011

Agree!!! When did brainwashing kids equal good parenting? The Duggar kids are carbon copies of each other and it’s obvious they’re not allowed to think a different way. Cult anyone???

Bob

Posted at 3:04 PM on November 9, 2011

Turtle:

You need to give up whatever job you have now and become a fortune teller or palm reader given your ability to predict the future outcome of people’s lives. I guess for you freedom of choice only applies if women choose a direction and a future you agree with.

Mari

Posted at 5:19 PM on November 8, 2011

I love the Duggar family. I love the fact that Jim Bob and Michelle are happily married. And yes, how refreshing that all of the children are happy, intelligent, emotionally well adjusted, giving, loyal, helpful, respectful, well-behaved. You certainly can’t say this about other kids on reality TV!

Camryn

Posted at 4:32 PM on November 8, 2011

The idea of having 20 kids is disgusting. There THEY are, going and having 20 kids, while some poor people can’t even had ONE! They should stop making their supposedly wonderful lives into attention opportunities and just live their lives. Stop having kids, get on birth control, and if you’re so fertile, then donate some eggs or some sperm to the poor people who CAN’T have kids!

-C

Kris

Posted at 4:49 PM on November 8, 2011

Exactly, it’s beyond disgusting at this point. It’s irresponsible and foolish of anyone to think that they are doing the world justice by having so many mouths to feed. I’m repulsed beyond words.

Alli

Posted at 7:34 PM on November 8, 2011

i completely agree. this family is horrible. i don’t blame the kids, but the fact that the oldest few are starting to start overly large families of their own is disgusting. they should all be sterilized.

Andy

Posted at 1:28 PM on November 16, 2011

Really? They should all be sterilized? Do yourself a favour and do a Google search on Compulsory Sterilization. It’s a path that’s been traveled down before by many countries, and is now considered a source of shame.

Under international law, it can be viewed as a Crime Against Humanity.

deb

Posted at 7:46 AM on November 9, 2011

I so agree they support my having 20 kids have there own tv show have a huge house. They never have to worrie about money.Mmm maybe I should of had 20 kids then my family would not have to worrie on how we are going to pay the bills next week!!!!!!

irene

Posted at 3:53 PM on January 22, 2012

God bless the Duggars! Thank you for your show, my children love watching it! Jim Bob and Michelle you are a great example! I wish there were more people like you! My picture of a perfect family! God bless you!