'Once Upon A Time' Recap: John Doe Wakes Up! But There's A Catch.

Sun, November 6, 2011 9:15pm EST by 12 Comments
once upon a time 1x03

Plus, Regina ‘reveals’ John Doe’s name! Do you think she’s lying?

The Nov. 6 episode of Once Upon A Time delivered some good news… and some bad news. Although John Doe (Josh Dallas) finally awoke from the world’s most handsome coma after Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) read to him from the book, it turns out their happily-ever-after in Storybrooke will have to wait — dude’s got a wife!

But if you suspect that his “wife” Catherine is actually an impostor working for Regina (Lana Parrilla) to separate Mary and Jon Doe — or “David Nolan,” as she claims he’s named — you’re in good company. Emma (Jennifer Morrison) already voiced her concern that Catherine happened to show up the night David woke up, even though Regina has supposedly been his emergency contact ever since she “found him on the side of the road” several years ago.

Perhaps it’s best to look for clues in the Enchanted Forest, where we got to see Snow White and Prince Charming — whose name was “James” apparently — meet for the first time this week! It turns out Snow is a former vigilante who stole a very important ring from the prince, which he had intended to give to his fiancée, the fairytale version of Catherine!

This begs me to ask a semi-random question: Is “James” the only prince in the Enchanted Forest? Did he just make his way through all the princesses like some sort of freakishly handsome rooster until he found the hen of his dreams?

Regardless, it was revealed that the prince wasn’t exactly in love with this princess. In fact, their marriage was merely a business deal to merge their two kingdoms. So it should come as no surprise that, in Storybrooke, Catherine revealed she and David hit a rough patch in their own marriage before he disappeared.

But it’s not all bad. At the end of the episode, Emma and Mary Margaret became roomies! (Does it still count as mother-daughter bonding if they don’t know they’re mother and daughter?)

Another episode, another list of burning questions:

>>> How did Regina really become David’s emergency contact?
>>> What could Snow have done to “ruin” the Evil Queen’s life?
>>> And the one I’ve been asking since episode one — who is the fairytale version of Sheriff Graham (Jamie Dornan)? I guessed it would be Snow White’s huntsman, but we saw him this week and they were not the same person.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time

Ophelia

Posted at 3:43 AM on November 9, 2011

I thought perhaps the sheriff might be the sheriff of nottingham from the robin hood story, based on his accent and occupation. As for the doctor, I believe he is Monstro the whale from pinnochio, given that his name is Dr. Whale, I think. Given that jiminy cricket is a human in storybrooke, i figure a whale could become human here, too. Just my thoughts :)

AleciaT

Posted at 6:13 PM on November 7, 2011

The sheriff could be the huntsman, as he normally did what he was told bit in the end did what was right. My guess would be D’atagnian from the three musketeers though. In law enforcement for the wrong side until he realized it was the wrong side. Seems the most logical to me.

Jjbc

Posted at 12:17 PM on November 7, 2011

Handsome prince charming actually not very handsome. Why are almost all the actors today rather ordinary looking people you might see on any street corner. I could count on one hand the really outstandingly uniquely gorgeous actors, about a dozen clones who are gorgeous but all look alike, quite a few really plain ones, and the rest are just ordinary.

HeyYou

Posted at 1:12 AM on November 7, 2011

I thought that “John Doe” was Prince Charming?? It sure looks like the same guy! I mean,that would explain Snow White at his bedside and everything,mabe serandipity(I hope I spelled that right)interviened and since it is fictional anyway,this could be a possibility. -_-

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:50 AM on November 7, 2011

John Doe is Prince Charming :) but we now know the prince’s name was really James and John Doe’s real name is apparently David.

ChristinaB

Posted at 11:45 PM on November 6, 2011

The Sheriff is the Big Bad Wolf. It’s obvious.

It was a wolf that made Emma crash her car in the pilot, he said in tonight’s episode that the woods were his and he LOOKS like a wolf.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:08 AM on November 7, 2011

Wow, I must have totally missed that line. Thanks, mystery solved!

NinaMarie

Posted at 8:48 PM on November 18, 2011

I think the doctor is actually the big bad wolf, the way he was looking at Ruby(little red) while on his date with Mary just seemed to suggest that to me, but maybe not. Thats just my opinion.

Nic

Posted at 11:27 PM on November 6, 2011

Agreed – the sheriff may be the huntsman, but it was not outright revealed. The security guards are dwarfs Sleepy and Grumpy. The doctor is whom I would like to figure out whom he represents.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:35 PM on November 6, 2011

Oh man, the doctor… I feel like it’d have to be someone who works closely with the queen.

Cyndi

Posted at 9:44 PM on November 6, 2011

We did NOT see the huntsman this week. We saw the Queen’s men that appeared after she relayed the story of the huntsman to “Prince Charming.” That means they are not the same people.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:33 PM on November 6, 2011

I feel like that’s still up for debate.