'Once Upon A Time' Recap: The Secret Behind The Queen's Curse Revealed!

Sun, October 30, 2011 9:09pm EST by 11 Comments
once upon a time 1x02
Courtesy of ABC

Read on for the 5 biggest revelations from this week’s ‘Once Upon A Time!’

Holy daddy issues! The Oct. 30 episode of ABC’s Once Upon A Time revealed how the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) enacted the curse that banished everyone from the Enchanted Forest, and the story was pretty dark — even for her!

She stole the curse itself from Maleficent (Kristin Bauer Van Straten), who served up some serious sass during the show’s most epic fight scene to date, but it wasn’t until she paid a little visit to Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) that the Queen learned what she had to do to set the curse in motion. Doing his best Smeagle impression — he actually uttered a growly “preeeeecious” — Rumplestiltskin revealed the Queen had to cut out the heart of the thing she loved most. And that’s what led daddy’s little girl to perform some pretty gruesome patricide.

But the biggest surprise of all came when we got a glimpse at the Queen’s father’s grave, which read: HENRY!

Meanwhile in Storybrooke, Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Emma (Jennifer Morrison) did a little mother-daughter bonding — even if they didn’t know it. Henry (Jared Gilmore) also gave Emma a peek at the pages he tore out of the book, detailing her birth — and her escape. Suddenly she doesn’t think he’s so crazy.

Lastly, a creepy chat in the apple orchard between Regina and Mr. Gold introduced a few more twists to our already windy tale: Not only did he originally “find” Henry for Regina, but he also dropped the hint that they both know exactly how Emma fits into the equation.

Despite this week’s many revelations, however, several pretty big questions still remain: Are Regina and Mr. Gold aware of their former lives in the Enchanted Forest? What’s the significance behind the Queen’s father being named Henry? And what the heck did Snow White “take” from the Queen that turned her into such a Bitter Betty?

So start theorizing and leave your ideas in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time

zebra print bedding

Posted at 3:43 PM on April 20, 2012

hey there and thank you to your info ? I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points the use of this site, since I skilled to reload the website a lot of occasions previous to I may get it to load correctly. I were brooding about in case your hosting is OK? No longer that I am complaining, however sluggish loading instances instances will often impact your placement in google and can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am including this RSS to my email and can look out for much extra of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this once more very soon..

Charlie

Posted at 10:55 PM on December 4, 2011

I love this show & I hope y’all do get me wrong when I say/ask, “Why is Rumplestiltskin so involved? He’s like in every single fairytale so far, they’re all connected can’t say I really like this.” But it really leaves me at the edge of my seat just finished watching the latest episode & believe don’t like where it’s heading I wanted Snow White/Mary Margaret & Charming/James/David to be together. Why is that witch so f**king wicked????

Abbey

Posted at 10:32 PM on December 4, 2011

Mr. Gold knows everything that’s going on along with the queen. Why do you think she’s always trying to get Henry to stop with his fairytale theory? And the fact that proof Mr. Gold knows what’s going on is that he said “please” don’t y’all remember his deal with the evil queen when she went to him to find out about the sacrifices she had to make. Mr. Gold is a co-artist I don’t know what to really make of him & don’t know what he’s up to. He seems to want Emma & Henry to succeed but them again he seems to be collecting from everyone in town including the witch. Again this proof that she knows exactly what’s going on how he remembered about all those deals.

Pattyjm59

Posted at 10:09 PM on December 4, 2011

I disagree; I think Mr. Gold knows EXACTLY who he is, and I also think he has some kind of hold on the queen, not the other way around. I LOVE THIS SHOW! But after tonight’s episode I was confused, so God bless you! Thanks for the recaps!!

Emily

Posted at 11:33 PM on January 1, 2012

Well the queen needed to know why the curse failed the first time so she went to rumplestilskin who gave it to her and they made a deal: in the new world she had to do everything he says as long as he says please. Then he told her that she had to kill the thing she loved most which was her father henry cause she needed his heart for the spell.

She named her “son” Henry after her dad because he was so young when rumplestilskin got him for her from Emma she could rename him.

Tahleen

Posted at 8:57 PM on November 6, 2011

JUST watched this. I was thinking Mr. Gold doesn’t know, since Evil Queen said as much when he told her to kill her daddy. But I’m not sure. It’s pretty confusing—I’m starting to think Rumpelstiltskin did something to make himself immune to the curse, and Regina always knew what was up. She looked pretty upset when the clock bonged in the morning. Can’t wait to watch tonight’s episode!

Shauniece

Posted at 1:41 AM on October 31, 2011

I love this show!!! By far my fave, next to glee! I wonder who the sheriff is in the fairy tale world? Can’t wait till next week! Thanks so much for the recap Andy :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:58 AM on October 31, 2011

Because he’s a slave to Regina in Storybrooke, I feel like the sheriff has to be the Huntsman from Snow White. But that might be too obvious…

#OnceUponATime Addict

Posted at 9:50 PM on October 30, 2011

My TV addiction and only show I watch live as it air so to help make sure it doesn’t get cancel. They have to pay bills to those pesky advertisers to stay in business. Small price to pay for such an amazing show. Thanks for dong recaps!!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:54 PM on October 30, 2011

Hey, thanks for reading :) It’s one of my favorite new shows of the season, so I’ll be recapping my face off.

And I don’t think we have to worry about this show getting canceled… at least not anytime soon.

jjbc

Posted at 11:39 AM on October 31, 2011

I only started watching to see Kristin Baurer van Straten I love her as Pam on True Blood, but Once Upon ATime is a fairly entertaining show.