'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Jeremy Kissed A Ghost & He Liked It. Bonnie Did Not.

Fri, October 28, 2011 12:03am EDT by 7 Comments
the vampire diaries 3x06

Lexie! Mason! Grams! Which ghost(s) were you most excited to see back in Mystic Falls this week?

I’m shocked I can even type right now, considering my heart has been smashed into thousands of tiny Anna-shaped pieces, but I’ll do my best. The Oct. 27 episode of The Vampire Diaries was an hour of tricks (Ghosts! Aaah!) but mostly treats for the show’s faithful viewers. Some of our favorite former characters returned — in ghost form — to help the living residents of Mystic Falls through some of their darkest hours.

Lexi’s return was arguably the most important of all. Besides Arielle Kebbel being super friggin adorable, Lexi showed Elena (Nina Dobrev) – through the most intense intervention this show has employed to date — that Stefan’s (Paul Wesley) humanity is still very much in tact. “You just have to push through,” she told Elena. (And while I’m discussing Stefan, can I just take a moment to applaud Paul Wesley? He has truly mastered the art of the angry growl.)

I know I’ve been accused of having a Damon (Ian Somerhalder) bias in the past, but I think we can all agree that the Elena-Stefan drama is starting to feel like a broken record at this point. How many times is Elena going to try to get through to him, only to have him curse her out, then end the conversation with something to the effect of “I’m not giving up on you, Stefan.” It’s disappointing, and honestly, it’s making me think a lot less of Elena.

Speaking of me thinking less of Elena, how ridiculous was it that she actually lectured Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) about why you shouldn’t fall in love with a dead person? The last time I checked, Stefan has been dead for hundreds of years — and even though he may not be a ghost, there are undeniable obstacles their relationship has had to overcome. I didn’t intend for this review to turn into an Elena hate-fest, but that girl needs to get a grip!

Though, to be fair, I think I may also need to get a grip. I cheered when Jeremy kissed Anna (Malese Jow), and I teared up like a little baby when he eventually had to say goodbye to her. I love Bonnie (Kat Graham), but it’s so obvious that Jeremy loved Anna more — and he probably always will be.

That said, Bonnie got some comfort from my personal favorite returning character: Grams! Yes, Jasmine Guy and her outstanding Southern accent paid Bonnie a visit to clue her in about an evil witch who took advantage of the portal Bonnie opened when she banished Vicki (Kayla Ewell) back into ghostly oblivion last week. As if Bonnie needed more drama in her life…

But this week’s most surprising ghostly adventure of all was between Mason (Taylor Kinney) and Damon (Ian Somerhalder) — because they actually played nice for a change! The ever-beautiful, ever-noble Uncle Mason revealed he only returned to help Tyler (Michael Trevino) free himself from Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) control, so the boys took a little field trip to the old Lockwood basement where Mason led Damon to some sweet hieroglyphics which contain the secret to — wait for it — killing an Original!

Sadly, Mason and the other spirits went back to ghost-land before he got a chance to explain what the fancy symbols mean. But before he vanished into beautiful thin air, he did utter the best thing he’s ever said: “I don’t need revenge, Damon. I need redemption.”

Mason Lockwood, a poet even till the very end.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries

Chiara

Posted at 1:50 AM on December 11, 2011

NOooooooooooooo why did he kiss her i dont get it he is with bonnie and he has an awsome gf he is hot so why throgh that away for somone that used him i mean if you look at all his gfs Vikki was using him for drugs and anna was using him for her mom but bonnie would not use him for anything

=] =] =] =]

Posted at 9:15 AM on November 1, 2011

noooooooo jeremy kissed anna!!!????? i didn’t get 2 see it but i’m SO MAD!!!! :( :( I feel so bad for Bonnie, poor baby but i hope she gets with Matt anyway since he’s pretty much girlfriend-less and not supernatural so he gotta be feeling a little left out =p And WOW Mason and Damon? LEXI!!!! i know she’s only been on for a couple of episodes but she’s amazing :)and even if he’s kind of a pain in the ass, i like stephen better than before, at least he’s more interesting now! Elena shouldn’t stop trying but she shouldn’t try SO hard because obviously, telling him how much she loves him isn’t working, she should just get with Damon to drive him crazy with jealousy (he has a LIL but of humanity left inside him right?) and enjoy the chemistry while she waits 4 Stephen to get back to his senses.

shockedandtotallyhappy!!!

Posted at 4:01 PM on October 31, 2011

OMG THIS IS A HUGE SURPRISE!!!!! I missed the episode i knew i should have stayed home and saw it lol jk but anyway what the hell? OMG IM SO HAPPY HE KISSED ANNA THEY NEED TO GET BACK TOGETHER, dont get me wrong i like him with Bonnie i do but i just prefer Anna and Jeremy and Bonnie with either Damon or Matt, BONNIE AND MATT GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!!!!

jkjello

Posted at 4:55 PM on October 28, 2011

you forgot how anna stole the necklace so that she doesnt go back. and that really sweet moment when anna found her mother and they hugged and cried. it was the sweetest thing ever!! love between a mother and a daughter that never dies!

mariane

Posted at 2:08 PM on October 28, 2011

I am sooooo freakin happy that lexi came back! and i think elena has to try harder cz i think that Stefan still has humanity deep inside !! ahhhhh i cant wait to watch the next episode ! OMG i freaking AWESOOOMMEEEEEEE !

windgirl

Posted at 5:01 AM on October 28, 2011

that was a great Episode but it ended soon I wanted more and the apology part of damon to alaric and mason was so funny … Stefan was so disappointing even Lexie failed :(

Kibbles&Bits

Posted at 12:54 AM on October 28, 2011

Lexie and Anna mostly…loved them…plus so much potential for them to add to the storyline.

but can’t complain about Mason being back either… for the eye candy.