Selena Gomez: 'I Was Bullied Every Second' In School!

Mon, October 24, 2011 7:04pm EDT by 17 Comments
Selena Gomez Bullying

Can you believe the girl who seemingly has it all used to get tortured by her fellow peers when she was in elementary school?

We cannot imagine Selena Gomez ever getting picked on a day in her life! She’s beautiful, well put-together and best of all — humble and gracious! However, things haven’t always been smooth sailing for the 19-year-old starlet — and she recently opened up about her tumultuous time as a kid.

“I was bullied every second of every day in elementary and middle school,” Selena told Cleveland.com in a new segment called “Ask the Artist.” “Obviously, people are going to bring you down because of your drive. But, ultimately, it makes you a stronger person to turn your cheek and go the other way.”

Selena said her best friend, Demi Lovato, who also was bulled, helped her during her tough times. “It’s nice that you have a best friend to go through this with,” she said. “I had a best friend to go through that with and it really helped me ignore negative things I was hearing. So, don’t take no for an answer and keep going.

Have you — or your family and friends — ever been bullied? What’s the best way to handle it?

More Justin & Selena!

1. Selena Gomez Had A ‘Great Day’ Seeing Justin Bieber In Canada!
  2. Justin Bieber Plans New Special Dates For Selena Gomez — And We Know What They Are!
  3. Selena Gomez Adopts A Puppy With Justin Bieber!

lilshawty_btq

Posted at 12:36 AM on July 23, 2014

g omg omg her being bullied selelna

Ashley

Posted at 6:02 AM on May 31, 2014

I love you selena you are really brave I was also bullied and if you are bullied too then ignore them as much as you can they themselves will slowly stop to bully you :-)

ashlee

Posted at 11:01 AM on May 16, 2014

i hate it when people bully other people like become perfect then talk about someone else noone diserves to get bullied its not anyones fault how they turn out

Christina

Posted at 4:22 AM on August 31, 2013

I was also bullied in elementary school and middle school, and it got under my skin. It ruined my confidence, but I’m working on it everyday. I think it’s great that she speaks about it, because it’s such an important topic. Now, I’m a senior in high school so I can soon move far away from the people that try to bring me down.

mc

Posted at 8:36 AM on July 22, 2013

either handle them head-on or walk away…….self-defense is allowed….you have that right…..

danielle balbi

Posted at 2:28 AM on March 25, 2013

i bully people bcuz it makes me powerful and im hotter than everyone else

amy williamson

Posted at 11:32 AM on March 31, 2014

you are not aloud to bully anyone it is not nice

Viv

Posted at 10:48 PM on January 20, 2013

I never been billied but i am bad for the people that was billied

Anonymous

Posted at 7:32 PM on January 20, 2013

I was bullied throughout the whole of year 7. Its hard enough trying to make new friends and keep up your grades and now i had that heavy weight pushing me down.

i love selena gomez

Posted at 10:26 PM on November 29, 2012

i think selena gomez is a beautiful girl and i would die to see her or go to one of her conserts we have been trying for 4 years i love you selena gomez

megan

Posted at 5:57 PM on June 3, 2012

selena is such a strong and brave girl. I know how it feels to bullied.I went throught it meself.your a nice girl selena!

Taylor

Posted at 1:36 AM on March 25, 2012

It’s shocking how Selena Gomez, a beautiful, thin, and amazing woman was bullied. It’s hard to believe but it was probably because they were jealous of her. I have never been bullied and I don’t live in a town where students get bullied but it must be so hard to go through that experience.

Keisha

Posted at 12:23 AM on February 5, 2012

I am not bullied. I was bullied for part of last year though.

vivek

Posted at 9:33 AM on November 15, 2011

i like your songs very much dr i like to wish my best wishes with you .i like to meet you but it not possible for me .God bless you selena

VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Posted at 4:49 PM on October 31, 2011

SELENA I WILL PROTECT FROM ANYTHING THAT BREAKS U DOWN!!!!

I WILL BE THERE FOR U…. I LOVE U SELENA GOMEZ!!!!!!!!!!!

SELENATOR FOREVER!!!!!!!!

VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Posted at 4:48 PM on October 31, 2011

SELENA IS ONE TOUGH WOMAN!!!!!!!!

I WILL PROTECT SELENA FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!

rosario

Posted at 8:43 PM on October 24, 2011

it breaks my heart that she still gets hated on today. but at least she has her fans to support her! love ya sel!