Robert Pattinson Has Potential To Be 'Profound Actor,' Says 'Cosmopolis' Director

Thu, October 20, 2011 10:10pm EDT by 19 Comments
robert pattinson cosmopolis
Getty Images (2)

indranee

Posted at 4:17 PM on October 20, 2011

Rob made Edward — a fairly flat character that was made worse by the scripts in Twilight — iconic. ‘Nuff said. I love his other movies and will be lining up for Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis as well as Bel Ami. The question remains: when will they be released?!

Nina

Posted at 10:34 PM on October 20, 2011

I agree! Rob does not have too much material to make Edward iconic yet he did! It is amazing what he has done with it. Any other actor would have allowed Bella to be the sole star of the books but no. When you think Twilight you think ROBERT PATTINSON!

SoSweet

Posted at 7:07 PM on October 22, 2011

The rumor is that Bel Ami will premiere at the Berlin Film Festival in Feb. and it’s believable because distributors have already lined up for releases in Russia, the Netherlands and Australia for late Feb. and March, 2012.

Cronenberg has said he wants to take Cosmopolis to Cannes but that he thinks it will be released next November, which is a better time for serious indies like his. His A Dangerous Method is just being rolled out now.

Zoe

Posted at 2:53 PM on October 20, 2011

LMAO. Sure. 2 Oscar nominated actors and a pretty boy who has never gotten good reveiws from an critic. Cronenberg is going to pile it on because he has a movie to whore. Funny how the “profound” actor can’t seem to find another job.

Jen

Posted at 4:29 PM on October 20, 2011

Cronenberg stopped having anything to prove a long time ago. He said all these things as well about Rob before Rob worked in his movie when he was going after Rob for the part in Cosmopolis. Take your negative attitude somewhere else. Rob is a great actor and made Twilight what it is. Without him giving life to a basically lifeless part, there would have been no New Moon, Eclipse, etc. He truly is wonderful in all his movies and EVERY director and actor/actress that has worked with him sings his praises. Even those who have not sing his praises. As far as what job he has now – how do you know. I respect Rob more because he doesnt sell himself for every cheap remake and sequel just to make a buck. He only goes for artistic and meaningful movies (other that Twilight series). He has turned down more offers than most actors ever receive.

Michele

Posted at 5:41 PM on October 20, 2011

Cronenberg “whoring” a movie? That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. David Cronenberg does what he wants; he’s earned that right as one of the most successful directors in the business who creates art and does not sell out. I find this statement ironic. Have you ever seen a Cronenberg film? Do you even know who the man is? I bet not. Because if you did, you wouldn’t be making such an statement, you would know how stupid it sounds.

As for the rest, I agree with everything Jen said. Get lost.

Nina

Posted at 10:30 PM on October 20, 2011

AMEN Michele!

tee

Posted at 2:41 PM on October 20, 2011

Agree with David. Rob is brilliant in everything else he does.

Louise

Posted at 11:57 AM on October 20, 2011

I totally agree with David. I really like Rob is a good actor.

WOW

Posted at 10:50 AM on October 20, 2011

The man can do NO wrong!

oy

Posted at 10:26 AM on October 20, 2011

DC is biased. Afterall RP is his daughter’s apple of the eye.

Becca

Posted at 2:54 PM on October 20, 2011

Seriously? Get a life. Stop being a troll and go find a job so you can move out of your parent’s bastment.

Moron!

Posted at 6:04 PM on October 21, 2011

Hey , Oy , you’re an idiot , but you can’t help it …. Now you got some attention , you can crawl back in your hole !!!!

ccc

Posted at 9:40 AM on October 20, 2011

Rob is amazing in Twilight. He just doesn’t have a lot to work with.

Michele

Posted at 9:17 AM on October 20, 2011

Of course I agree with David Cronenberg. He’s one of the best directors out there, he should know. The whole Twilight thing . . Edward Cullen . . . Rob made the most out of that character when many other actors would have made him even more cut out than he is. I am not a huge fan . . . I am not a fan of the books in that I couldn’t get past the writing. Also the characters were, I felt, flat.

So for Rob to be able to inject life (pun intended) into a character that has little humour and less depth is pretty amazing. I loved Rob in Remember Me and Water For Elephants. I cannot wait to see Cosmopolis with David Cronenberg – now we’re talking. I think the future holds great things for Rob and what he is capable of doing.
Michele

Michele

Posted at 9:22 AM on October 20, 2011

Oh . . . I don’t mean to be so harsh on Twilight, and I will go see Breaking Dawn, and I like the relationship between Edward & Bella . . . But, for me, there were too many things about the story that annoyed me and inspite of all that, Rob was able to create the most of that character. That shows his talent right there.
Michele

Adennos

Posted at 9:04 AM on October 20, 2011

I agree Robert is an amazing actor.
Edward Cullen is a sparkly fairy so doesn’t matter I’ve to say it is his worst movie.
But his other movies are amazing.

miapattinson

Posted at 8:43 AM on October 20, 2011

there are lot of things that rob can offer..he is a deep actor..he is really great in remember me and flawless in Water for elephants. i can see acting award in the future..

LadyEpic

Posted at 7:34 AM on October 20, 2011

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the character of Edward Cullen a great deal, but I prefer Rob outside of Twilight. He is an amazing actor. I’m looking forward to see where his career goes, he does have potential.