'Pretty Little Liars' Halloween Recap: Did Alison Secretly Reveal Who 'A' Is?

Wed, October 19, 2011 9:15pm EDT by 19 Comments
pretty little liars halloween

Nestled in this perfect hour of campy Halloween awesomeness was a butt-load of clues as to who’s been terrorizing the girls!

The costumes. The one-liners. Noel Kahn’s eyebrows. There was so much to love about the Pretty Little Liars Halloween special Oct. 19, but for longtime fans of ABC Family’s most twisted drama, the biggest treat of all was the constant reminder that “A” could be anyone — and potentially, everyone.

And by flashing back to one year before the events of the show’s first season, fans were reminded just how much our girls have grown: Aria (Lucy Hale) was rocking that ridiculous pink hair; “Hefty Hanna” (Ashley Benson) was sporting a few extra pounds; four-eyed Spencer (Troian Bellisario) was even more socially awkward; and Emily (Shay Mitchell) — well, Emily was into dudes. Or, at least, she was pretending to be.

But it was an undead Alison (Sasha Pieterse) who served up the biggest reminder of all: That girl was a bitch. Not only did she try to sabotage new-girl Jenna’s (Tammin Sursok) social life within five minutes of meeting her, but she also pulled a nasty little prank on the liars. She lured them to an abandoned house, where she convinced them a masked man — who she thought was Noel (Brant Daugherty) — was trying to kill her. Little did she know, it was actually everyone’s favorite faux-hermaphrodite Lucas (Brendan Robinson!)

Speaking of Lucas, he was just one of the many people who was revealed to have a motive for killing Alison. She did, after all, start the whole “Lucas has both parts” rumor. Another was Mona (Janel Parrish), who flat-out told Jenna that she wasn’t afraid of Rosewood’s ultimate mean girl. Now that we’ve gotten a taste of their backstories, I’m really excited to see more of Lucas, Mona and Jenna. I see big things in their futures.

Another person causing me to raise my eyebrow now is Spencer’s older sister Melissa (Torrey DeVitto), who appeared baby bump-less this week. She really seemed to hate Alison, and while you could attribute her short to temper to Alison’s constant bitchy comments, I can’t help but wonder if Melissa didn’t suspect that Alison and Ian (Ryan Merriman) were having an affair the whole time.

We also got a little more insight into the Montgomery’s family drama. Though the Halloween special was seriously lacking in Ella – Holly Marie Combs was nowhere to be seen — we did get to see Aria confront Byron (Chad Lowe) about the affair with his student. Speaking of which, I completely forgot the same actress who played Crazy Katie on One Tree Hill also plays Byron’s skank-on-the-side. I’m just glad we made it this entire hour without her shooting anyone.

And because I pride myself on irony, I’m going to end this little recap by talking about the beginning of the episode. It all started with Alison telling the chilling tale of two twins, one of which went crazy and ended up in a mental hospital. Fans of Sara Shepard‘s original Pretty Little Liars book series know that [SPOILER ALERT] Alison had a twin sister named Courtney who was, in fact, locked away in an institution.

So was Alison’s story merely a wink-and-a-nod to the book series, or is the show also planning to incorporate the books’ biggest twist?

I think we can all agree that this episode was perfect. It felt like every classic ’80s teen horror movie rolled into one, while also managing to surprise us with new tidbits about the characters we thought we knew perfectly. So while we wait several painful months for new episode of Pretty Little Liars to return, we’re left with one very big question: WHO IS “A?!”

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars

news article

Posted at 8:33 AM on February 11, 2013

Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular publish extraordinary. Great job

Mona

Posted at 8:21 AM on April 16, 2012

Wat episode and season is this

Evie

Posted at 7:44 PM on January 2, 2012

The twin was showed in this show in the Halloween store on the veining in the background watching her sister.

Ellen N.

Posted at 4:29 PM on January 4, 2012

Wow. Never noticed that, that changed my whole -A theory. Your very s art there.. Can’t believe I didn’t. See that I’ve seen every episode TWICE. Legit.

Andi

Posted at 4:30 PM on January 4, 2012

That is a good observation.

Emma Callaghan

Posted at 11:56 PM on January 10, 2014

I dont understand what you mean? on the veining?

lill iren

Posted at 1:16 PM on November 12, 2011

i can’t belive that Ian killed Allison I just can’t belive it it’s inseane-. i mean it can’t be it’s totally wrong i mean cute gyus and people isn’æt suposed to kill others it’s just so unbeliveble. that sucks cute gyuus suposed to be inoccent isn’t it?

michelle

Posted at 7:37 AM on October 29, 2011

did people also notice ezra ariea pubs into him as she goes to her dads office a future love intrest

bella

Posted at 10:31 AM on October 21, 2011

I have a theory that we just saw a twin switch happen, and possibly Allison’s actual death. (Everyone based her date of death on the night of her disappearance- but maybe that’s when she was afraid of being discovered and took off. Who knows how long she was actually dead…) We have photos of twins on the wall, and a car driving up from a sanitarium. We also have a moment where Alison is left alone with the bad guy, and when the girls get in to try and rescue her, there’s a personality shift. She claims it’s a joke, but she’s somehow different. I know they’re not following the books verbatim, but that doesn’t mean all the elements of it are off limits.

Ell's

Posted at 4:58 PM on October 20, 2011

Has anyone else noticed that there is two different A signs -A and –A could that possibly be linked with her twin? She’s got to have a twin the photos in her bedroom with jason and there was two girls?

anne

Posted at 1:23 PM on October 21, 2011

When was there a picture of Jason with two girls?

Tash

Posted at 4:42 AM on October 20, 2011

Total crap. This episode exposed nothing we weren’t already aware of and illuded to ‘A’ suspects i’m sure everyone has already considered.

So many irrelevant scenes.. Complete anti-climax!

Madcans

Posted at 2:49 AM on October 20, 2011

I am glad I finally got my bit of Pretty Little Liars, even if it is one episode before another big wake. My key suspect (after reading about possible reasons why) was not on the list given in this article, in fact Ezra is currently the one with the most stacked up against him for me (although i really don’t want to believe it)
i really do hope they incorporate the sisterly twist as in the books. and as Lily said, does manage to sound a bit like the Lying Game at the same time :D guess that’s what the same authors tend to do haha

rogue

Posted at 9:17 AM on October 21, 2011

Why do you think it’s Ezra?

vintagelyme

Posted at 1:30 AM on October 20, 2011

I absolutely loved the pretty Little Liars Halloween special :D it only made me more excited for Halloween itself. Don’t you love a good scare?

Me

Posted at 12:37 AM on October 20, 2011

What about the car parked outside the creepy house from the sanitarium….. i wonder…..

Lily

Posted at 12:20 AM on October 20, 2011

IT WAS AMAZING! so many little details like for example the box ‘Ali’ was hiding is the one Jason found and gave it to Aria! Aria bumping into Ezra at college, and the twin story? I really hope they incorporate it, i’d be disappointed if A turned out to be one of the more obvious options like noel mona hermie, jenna or the creepy cop/detective!

altough there is one thing about the twins story thats incorrect it was actually ALISON the one that was sent to the mental institution
Courtney managed to switch places with her and take her place (the lying game, sara shepard anyone? haha)
so that would make A LOT of sense with the doll thing.. “now its my turn to torture you” because Courtney tortured Ali by trying to hurt her and sending her to the mental institution in her place? and that makes sense why she signes the texts with an -A because she actually IS ali.. (but it could also mean anonimous as it was once stated so idk)

rina

Posted at 10:21 PM on March 4, 2012

your correct finally someone gets it correct im 9 years old

Peanutjazz

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 19, 2011

Omg it was amazing. I really hope they use her sister.. Omgg i freakinn lovee it! Cant wait til January.