'X Factor' Recap: Brian 'Astro' Bradley & Drew Ryniewicz, Both 14, Shine — But Will They Make The Cut?

Fri, October 14, 2011 2:52am EDT by 15 Comments

Only four contestants from each group will go through to live performances — who do YOU think will make it?

The X Factor is continuing to become my new favorite vocal reality show on TV. On the Oct. 13 episode (which was delayed a night due to baseball), the four groups of contestants — the over 30s, the girls, the guys and the groups — all traveled around the world and met their mentors and guest judges. The girls freaked out when they realized Simon Cowell was their mentor in France. The over 30s didn’t seem thrilled to be placed with Nicole Scherzinger, but their eyes certainly lit up when Enrique Iglesias walked out the door as the guest judge. The groups with Paula Abdul were guest judged by Pharrell Williams; the boys got Rihanna (lucky!!) and the girls were supposed to have Mariah Carrey, but she couldn’t make it because of a hurricane. (Buzz kill!)

Side note: According to Steve the host, all the contestants got tours of the judges’ gorgeous mansions before singing, and I wish we could have seen more of that. Fox should do a Cribs-esque episode just of those bomb houses…I cannot believe how over the top they are!

The contestants who performed on this episode were as follows:

Brian ‘Astro’ Bradley, 14, blew me away with his rapping. Even though he has more confidence than Justin Bieber (which can get a little obnoxious), his talent, focus and drive is endearing. Rihanna ate him up. I think it’ll be hard for him to compete in this competition of singers, but he nailed his audition. There’s nothing he could have done better.

Simone Battle certainly looks the part of a pop star, but her rendition of The Beatles‘ “Help” was slow, over indulgent and boring. However, Simon was completely enchanted with her…so what do I know?

The Anser is a group of three guys from Salt Lake City. They are cute, but forgettable.

I started tearing up when Dexter Haygood gave his monologue before his performance. “I thought I was done,” he admitted, crying. Unfortunately, he screwed up his version of Beyonce‘s “Crazy In Love.” I’m still baffled as to why he got this far to begin with, but I think he sealed his fate with that unfortunate audition.

Skyelor Anderson‘s goal is to be the youngest black country singer. He’s sweet, but as Rihanna said, he needs to be polished. There are so many strong guys in this competition, I don’t think they can afford to hand hold Skyelor as he tries to catch up.

I cannot even imagine getting this far in the competition and then screwing up because I couldn’t remember lyrics, which is what Tora Woloshin was nervous would happen. Thankfully, she nailed “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and I thought it was awesome, but Simon wasn’t sold.

No one had ever heard Lakota Reign sing together before since they were all solo artists that were thrown into a country group — and it was obvious they weren’t as connected to each other as some of the groups that have been together for years. I thought their voices blended well, but most of them seemed uncomfortable moving. Overall, the performance was awkward.

When Stacy Francis first auditioned, she had me sobbing — and her audition song, “Purple Rain,” at Nicole’s house almost had the same effect. Although I wouldn’t ever be able to listen to a full album of Stacy’s belting and runs, she gives me chills every time she opens her mouth to sing.

Seeing the look on Pharrell’s face when The Brewer Boys performed Rihanna’s “Only Girl” was priceless. They are clean cut and precious, but I feel like they should have a Disney Channel show…not a major record deal with L.A. Reid.

Poor Phillip Lomax had the challenge of performing a jazzy rendition of a Rihanna single, “Don’t Stop The Music,” to Rihanna herself. I would have shriveled up and died, but he rocked it. I love the tone of his voice. Unfortunately, Rihanna and L.A. were nervous he wouldn’t sell commercially. However, I think he’s cuter than Michael Buble and there’s certainly space in the market for another crooner.

Elaine Gibbs, 53, puts me at ease when I watch her. She’s eludes happiness and confidence. Sadly, I think Nicole has to choose between Elaine and Stacy, otherwise they’ll cannibal themselves.

Simon loved Caitlin Koch, the rugby player, but she bored me to tears. She’s pretty and her tone is good…but zzz.

Nick Voss has a unique tone and look. He intriques me, but his performance was a little over the top and I don’t think Rihanna or L.A. were sold at all.

4Shore knocked their song out of the park! They were all in sync with their moves, plus, their harmonies were intricate and dead on. Paula would be nuts not to send them through.

Out of all the over 30s, James Kenney is probably the most commercial. He’s handsome, talented and charming. I’d put him through for sure.

How Drew Ryniewicz sang “It Must Have Been Love” with such depth and emotion at 14 years old is baffling to me. From her connection to her tone, everything about Drew is mature…except her obsession with Justin Bieber. My only complaint about Drew is her last name — I can’t spell it to save my life! I don’t envy Simon’s position at all. With so many talented girls, I don’t know how he’s going to choose only four.

Who did YOU think shined the brightest at the judges houses? If you were the judges, who would you eliminate and who would you send through to the live performances? Sound off below!

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Check out some of the best auditions on The X Factor premiere! Click here!

From Our BFFs At Ranker!

1. Celebs Caught In The Act!
  2. Stars Who’ve Turned Down Playboy!
  3. Famous Sexy Tattoos!

natural pet remedies

Posted at 10:54 PM on July 3, 2012

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my website so i got here to return the choose?.I’m attempting to in finding things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to make use of some of your concepts!!

Skoda Bydgoszcz

Posted at 11:35 AM on May 15, 2012

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your submit is just excellent and i can suppose you are an expert in this subject. Fine together with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to stay updated with impending post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the rewarding work.

nfu oh 394

Posted at 4:02 AM on April 23, 2012

Normally I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.

Lasertag

Posted at 5:49 PM on April 16, 2012

I’m extremely impressed together with your writing skills as smartly as with the layout for your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to look a nice blog like this one today..

Dave_Memphis

Posted at 1:14 PM on February 24, 2012

Where are all the black contestants in American Idol? I didn’t see but one make it to the top 24 – and no black females??? It’s hard to believe that with all the talented young people auditioning for the show that they couldn’t come up with a more racially diverse final 24. Not wasting my time any more on American Idol. Hurry back X Factor!!!

Alccapone

Posted at 5:32 PM on February 17, 2012

By tnidarg Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman, the Astros have entered full-scale rebuilding mode. They will concentrate on developing younger players over the next couple of years.That said, the Astros are not the disaster they appeared to be at the beginning of the year. Like the Orioles, the Astros have done much better late in the season. With the 70-75, it is actually possible that the Astros could finish at or near .500 this season. That looked just about impossible early in the year they looked like a 100 loss team back then.I wasn’t aware of their head to head records before you posted them, but it looks like they do pretty well within their own division, especially against the division-leading Reds. That will be some success that they can build on next year. The .248 batting average is pretty pathetic, so they’ll need to get some better contact hitters.In short, this looks like a team that is on the rise, even though they have some problems. I’d look for them to contend in 2012.

BrieAnna

Posted at 4:27 PM on October 31, 2011

Astro (Brian) Wins, hands down

todd

Posted at 6:26 PM on October 15, 2011

Drew was scary good.The more you listen the better it is(the first sign of a star)!So far she she has the x-factor.Looking forward to Sunday to see if anyone else has it!

Gena

Posted at 2:39 AM on October 15, 2011

Drew wins this hands down. Kids will buy her downloads and that’s where the singing business is today.

Josh

Posted at 1:13 AM on October 15, 2011

Drew’s audition was absolutely gorgeous–I’ve listened to it at least 10 times today. By far the best of the episode, in my opinion, though Stacy and Elaine were great too. I really hope she and Tora continue on from the girls who auditioned tonight.

at

Posted at 6:09 PM on October 14, 2011

I actually hated Drew’s performance. She has a great tone to her voice, but she used so much trill in her performance that she sounded like she was singing thru a fan.

Heather

Posted at 1:42 PM on October 14, 2011

Simon likes the pretty girls whether they can sing as well as the others or not. Caitlin is pretty and seems nice but she was boring and not as good as some of the others.

simonsays

Posted at 1:39 PM on October 14, 2011

I agree that Drew is a winner. This is going to be a tough competition – so much talent! I also really like Tora, Stacy, and Astro.

Bluejaye

Posted at 10:36 AM on October 14, 2011

Drew not only blew me clear off the face of the earth, she also made me forget everyone else. This is the winner, hands down. Even Simon was left breathless. What a phenomenal talent, and only 14 years old. A superstar is born.

Holymolee

Posted at 12:15 PM on October 14, 2011

Drew has a voice that stops you in your tracks to listen. It’s so unusual, but hauntingly beautiful. So far, she is hands down, the most unique/talented singer.