'The Secret Circle' Recap: Can You Believe They Killed Off [Spoiler]?

Fri, October 14, 2011 9:30pm EDT by 89 Comments

The circle is down one very pouty-faced member after this week’s ‘Secret Circle.’

Well, kids, just because we knew it was going to happen, that doesn’t make it any less sad. Nick (Louis Hunter) met his untimely end at the hands of Charles (Gale Harold) on the Oct. 13 episode of The Secret Circle, after absorbing the demon that was possessing Melissa (Jessica Parker Kennedy.) Remember when Jessica told HollywoodLife.com the episode would be “very telling about [Melissa's] feelings for Nick?” She wasn’t kidding.

I think the fact that his body was willing to accept the demon serves as proof that Nick really does — uh, did – care about Melissa. It sucks that he’s dead now, especially because I was really starting to like the two of them as a couple, but something tells me we haven’t seen the last of him. He may be head, but this show is about magic, people. Just look at all those “dead” Vampire Diaries characters we thought we’d never see again!

Oh, the other major upset on this week’s episode? Cassie (Britt Robertson) came clean to her grandma! You know, about the whole witchcraft thing. Her exact words were “I’m a witch and I need your help,” which made me giggle, since it was totally reminiscent of how bluntly Faye (Phoebe Tonkin) dropped the same bombshell on Cassie just four episodes ago.

And this wouldn’t be a thorough review of a Secret Circle episode if I didn’t touch on everyone’s favorite love triangle between Adam (Thomas Dekker), Diana (Shelley Hennig) and Cassie. This is my first Secret Circle recap, having taken over for the lovely Lorena O’Neil, so I should probably admit this right off the bat: I just don’t get it.

Diana and Adam seem perfect for each other, and this episode was a solid reminder of that. Whether it was their crazy-hot sex romp — the one tragically cut short by all those panicked text messages from the other circlers — or their sad, quiet moment following Nick’s death, the couple’s chemistry was off the charts this week. It’ll be interesting to see what happens as the show progresses, but for now, I’m totally Team Diana.

So what did YOU think of this week’s episode? Are you mad that Nick is dead, or do you think it was exactly the game-changer this show needed? And where do you stand on the Adam-Diana-Cassie love triangle after this week’s very Adam/Diana-heavy hour? Drop a comment with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Secret Circle

Defy

Posted at 6:33 AM on February 9, 2012

I didn’t watch TSC since this episode. I hate this serial without Nick.

Laura

Posted at 12:55 AM on December 9, 2011

If they were going to kill him so soon they shouldn’t have presented the character in the first place, what was the point of getting us interested in him? whta was the point of killing him? I think it was a STUPID decision

darci

Posted at 8:23 PM on October 27, 2011

Loved, loved, loved this episode. So glad Britt Robertson has another lead role, and I’m also really happy with the tone they’ve given the show so far – it strikes a nice balance between light-hearted enough to have some laughs, but dark enough to stay intriguing, all the while maintaining good drama throughout.

My favorite scene of this episode was when Diane seduced Adam over dessert…really well planned and shot, and I loved that they used “Why Do I Worry” by Lay Low as the song, because it really added to the mood. FYI you can watch a clip of that scene at http://vimeo.com/30750069

Holly

Posted at 5:32 PM on October 26, 2011

Oh my goodness!!! Because I live in the UK and we are two episodes behind I think and so I have only just watched it!!! And NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Nick can’t die!!!!!! :'( come on, surely they can bring him back!!! Aswel I don’t get it now, they aren’t a complete circle………? I’m confused but I really want Nick to come back!! I didn’t like him at first but now I do! Please say he comes back! And I don’t know who I prefer Adam with?? Think I’m more of a Team Cassie though! X

Brianna

Posted at 8:07 PM on October 20, 2011

This is not fair! Nick didn’t die in the book, they need to follow the book, and now their not a complete circle im soooo MAD!!! Why cant one tv show about a book follow the book and add a little not a tragic part!!! I mean come on the demons name(if there refering to the evil dude in the book) is not right, it wasnt even a demon in the book! CAN THEY FOLLOW THE BOOK CORRECTLY PLEASE!!!!!!

Chloe

Posted at 2:41 PM on October 18, 2011

Team Cassie! Woooo! But I think that Nick has to come back because in the book he is all the way through, plus they arn’t a full circle without him so Faye will go crazy with her magic again.

-Reader of the books.

Jackie

Posted at 6:01 PM on October 17, 2011

Want Nick back like me? Here!(: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/bringbacknick

Tasha