Selena Gomez To Play A Teen Who Takes Her Own Life In Upcoming Movie Role — New Details!

Thu, October 13, 2011 8:33pm EDT by 31 Comments

Selena Gomez has said she wants to branch out into more adult roles, which is one reasons the film adaptation of the novel ’13 Reasons Why’ would be a perfect fit for the maturing actress!

We’re used to seeing Selena Gomez as a cheerful, funny teen without a care in the world on the Disney Channel. However, the 19-year-old actress is ready to step up her game and join the big leagues — and she’ll do just that in the film adaptation of the dramatic novel, 13 Reasons Why.

Written by Jay Asher, 13 Reason Why is a story about a teenager named Hannah who takes her own life, but before she does so, leaves several tapes for her friend, Clay, explaining the 13 reasons why she committed suicide. Clay realizes he’s one of the reasons and relives all of his moments with Hannah.

While it’s hard to imagine Selena in such a serious role, we have no doubts the talented actress can pull it off.

Interestingly enough, Selena attended the premiere of The Thing this week in Los Angeles, which was produced by the same production company that acquired 13 Reasons Why, Strike Entertainment. Although the film doesn’t have a director officially attached to it yet, judging from her interactions with Eli Roth at the premiere…he might be in the mix!

Do YOU think Selena will have a successful career in dramatic films?

Loading video...

From Our BFFs At Ranker!

1. Celebs Caught In The Act!
  2. Stars Who’ve Turned Down Playboy!
  3. Famous Sexy Tattoos!

selenator 4ever

Posted at 3:09 AM on August 6, 2014

I can’t wait

Queenylime

Posted at 7:39 PM on September 8, 2013

I like Selena Gomez and all, but I just don’t see her for this movie. I just don’t think she is the best choice! And I mean no hate, but she still is stuck as the “Disney Selena Gomez” and as others said, might just ruin the movie, because it is too serious for her. Sorry……. :(

Vera

Posted at 10:16 PM on June 15, 2013

Yeaaahhh!! Selena Gomez!! Amazing

Meg

Posted at 8:09 PM on January 23, 2013

No, it is not “Selena’s new movie”. It is a wonderful book which will be ruined by Selena. The ‘talented actress’ is nothing but a talentless brat. Nothing she has ever done would indicate that she has any acting ability. She couldn’t even handle a serious role, much less a difficult one. Fans including myself would rather kill her and go to jail for life than watch her ruin this movie.
For the people saying ‘give her a chance': Fine, I will, but not in the movie adaptation of one of my favorite books. Let her risk ruining some other movie. This is a lose lose. The Disney Channel Selena fans will hate her getting more ‘mature’ in the role, and the fans of the book will hate her ruining it. This was an awful decision.
Here’s hoping she has an serious and fatal accident before filming begins.

daniela

Posted at 9:00 PM on August 28, 2013

Wow harsh words.i imagine you must be truly young.either that or very immature. Grow up.

Loli carazy

Posted at 5:19 PM on November 28, 2012

PLEASE, PLEASE, DON’T LET SELENA ACT HANNAH!!! I really don’t like her acting and consider her as an actress for little kids movies. Hannah should be someone else, a fresh face.

zenab naaz

Posted at 1:31 PM on August 7, 2012

i thing she has great acting skills so the movie is gonna be supeb

hailey

Posted at 11:29 AM on March 1, 2012

i do NOT THINK SELENA SHOULD PLAY ON 13 REASONS WHY!! she should stick with disney or something she will ruin the whole movie :( thanks bye now
<3 hailey :)

cody

Posted at 2:05 PM on August 12, 2012

too late aready been cast

david conway

Posted at 4:05 AM on November 11, 2011

dear hollywood life web site , hi my name is david conway , and my comments to here , i know how much you do,nt what me here but i just have to ask the book auther off 13 reason,s he doesn,t own that july moon production it,s own by selena gomez and her mother mandy tiffy gomez , love david

Jasmine mckenzie

Posted at 3:44 AM on June 20, 2012

I think Selena Gomez can pull of if she can be a wizard to cinderella to rich and poor she’s totally got this no worries

emmie

Posted at 5:43 AM on October 30, 2011

i think she has the best acting skills from all the disney girls but the least singing talent she is still good though.I think how she does in 13 reasons wh will let us know if she is capable of pulling of such roleswe will just have to wait and see.

Emma

Posted at 10:09 AM on October 15, 2011

All these people who say she sucks, give her a chance. She might really surprise you. I think for what Monte Carlo was she did a pretty good job. I’ve always thought she had the most talent, acting wise, among the disney girls. This movie sounds really good. I think she can pull it off, and to those who don’t, all I can say is don’t judge her because she’s from Disney, because that’s really not fair on her part. She just might surprise you. :)

Loli carazy

Posted at 5:21 PM on November 28, 2012

I think a fresh face should act Hannah, that might surprise us more and it wouldn’t be like “oh she’s the girl from that movie” or “I know her from this movie”.

Alex

Posted at 10:00 AM on October 14, 2011

my roomate’s ex-wife makes $72 hourly on the internet. She has been out of work for 7 months but last month her paycheck was $7538 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read about it on this site Many Rich. Com

christine

Posted at 6:55 AM on October 14, 2011

I love the book, hopefully the movie will be good too… Anyways you’re telling us old news.

Nikki

Posted at 3:48 AM on October 14, 2011

I think you’re all being much too critical of her before she has even started! Give her a chance, she might surprise you, if you have it set in your mind that she’ll be crap, that’s probably what you’ll think even if she does do good. Of course a movie will never be as good as the book, you can’t expect it to be, it’s Hollywood! It’s all about making money and because it’s Selena attached to it and not someone unknown they probably will. But I think you’re underestimating Selena, don’t compare her to other Disney stars, she’s not them! I’m just saying give her a chance, she shouldn’t be type-cast just because she’s from Disney. She might play the role really well, we’ll just have to wait and see…

Troy

Posted at 2:37 AM on October 14, 2011

This is not new since it was revealed she doing the film version of “13 Reasons Why” back in February. Nor is there a single solitary “new detail.” You might have known this if you would stop mooning over Selena’s relationship with Justin and actually pay attention to what’s going on her career.

sue72

Posted at 1:48 AM on October 14, 2011

honestly I don’t think anyone can imagine or judge how Selena will do in this role because we haven’t actually seen her in a serious role like this before. I think we have to give her a chance and see how she does and then comment and judge. But for right now I’m happy she’s finally getting a chance to branch out, take risks, and book more serious roles that will make her more stable in the acting industry.

jkjello

Posted at 9:37 PM on October 13, 2011

I don’t think that she’ll be able to act well in this movie. I’ve read the book and it seems to serious and adulty for her. No offense to her but she’s better off in rom coma cuz that is the only types of movies that Disney stars( not including Miley Cyrus) star in. She’s too innocent and goody two shoed to play such a serious and dimensional character like that. Just cuz her production company is filming it disentangle mean she should act in it. If they want this movie to be good they should get another actress who can actually play the role and not ruin the amazing book like twilight did.

Maria

Posted at 12:20 AM on October 14, 2011

I agree with you (to a certain degree atleast). I don’t believe that the role is for her as, as you mentioned, it is a very serious book. But who knows, maybe she’ll surprise us. :D

I Agree

Posted at 12:40 PM on December 23, 2011

I don’t see selena as Hannah Baker its just not her. Maybe Saoirse Ronan ,but not Selena Gomez.

cody

Posted at 2:10 PM on August 12, 2012

wait and see how she does and then judge

Saf97

Posted at 9:35 PM on October 13, 2011

She will probably be awesome for the role.

dumas1000

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 13, 2011

Has anyone seen the movie “According to Greta.” Hilary Duff’s attempt at straight drama. She produced it herself. Pretty awful. Likely has something to do with why she produced it herself. Like how Paris Hilton could not get a legitimate recording contract, so she essentially self-published her own album a few years back. Point being, there’s zero indication that Selena Gomez could pull of something like this. She best stay in the romantic comedy genre, where she belongs. Cause this be a fish out of water. There are a ton of actors and actors who are reasonable comedically, but absolutely cannot pull off drama. Hilary Duff can’t pull off either. Because she’s terrible. I’m skeptical about Selena. During the moments in which it tried to be serious, that is when Monte Carlo fell off its tracks. There was no depth to that character either. I cannot imagine how she would betray a multi-dementional character, because she has never done it before.

maria

Posted at 8:54 PM on October 13, 2011

This is old news. This was confirmed a long time ago, she’s even posted it about a few times on her Facebook too. Keep up HL

DisneyInfoNet

Posted at 8:52 PM on October 13, 2011

Are you guys this far out of the loop on things. Sel starring in this movie was known 3 months ago at least. She already has the role because he own production company July Moon Productions is making it for her.

She is producing it herself basically so this is a done deal and now the only thing that has to be done is shooting to start which no one knows when that will happen at this time. Probably start sometime after her current tour or spring of next year at the latest.

david conway

Posted at 2:11 AM on November 6, 2011

dear hollywood life web site , hi my name is david conway and my comments to here and to the preson who said that just because selena gomez , owns her motion picture production company, why doesn,t that help her to act and to be a actress in her motion picture may i ask hollywood life and pepole at this web site , i do care about selena gomez as well far as much as selena gomez , does just for her carer , and she make,s feel strong and human more than any one eles lately , love david b conway

david conway

Posted at 3:03 AM on November 6, 2011

dear hollywood life , hi my name is david conway , i just wish that i can take that back just about selena gomez , makes me human , im so sorry selena gomez im so hook on the fact off just why justin bieber is not good match for selena gomez , love david conway

david b conway

Posted at 4:01 AM on February 12, 2012

dear hollywood life .com web site hi my name is david conway and my comments to here just after i heard about selena gomez , is going to do this movie it was ok news to me , but now that selena gomez is going to producing it , may be that,s why it might it suck , just if this is part of her own production company july moon production , love david b conway

cody

Posted at 2:13 PM on August 12, 2012

to all you haters all i have to say is like it or not shes allready been confirmed shes in it. So when the movie comes out Shut Up and watch it and then tell us u liked it.