'Sister Wives' Recap: Christine Explodes With Jealousy Over Kody & Robyn!

Mon, October 10, 2011 7:27am EDT by 40 Comments

Kody Brown FINALLY admits what every non-polygamist believes: jealousy DOES “creep in” between the sister wives and in this episode , there’s no creeping- it’s front and center as wife #3 Christine admits that now that Robyn is the NEW wife, she, Christine, doesn’t feel “special” any more!

To me, I don’t think Kody‘s very equal with his time: he caters to Robyn, to Robyn’s needs and Robyn’s kids and he really needs to spend some time developing our relationship too,” Christine gripes.  Not that you can really blame her. She does after all have six kids with Kody, including a few-months old daughter Truly, who she had just given birth to when Kody married and then honeymooned with Kody. She is pretty much left to raise them on her own. I think she’s been remarkably understanding and tolerant that Kody just HAD to marry a fourth wife when she was having a new baby.

But it doesn’t seem that Christine is particularly getting the short end of the stick, except in her own mind as Kody maintains a frantic schedule of commuting each day and night between his four wives and their four houses. In this episode we watch him travel each day before dinner to another wives’ house. Each wife and her kids get him every fourth night. It’s never enough for each wife and her children and it looks exhausting for Kody who’s always carrying a black duffel bag for his clothes and toiletries.

He has dinner with that wife and their children that night, helps with bedtime, breaks up fights between children AND attempts to have some private time to deal with each wife’s needs and their relationship together. Christine spends her one night out of four admittedly hostile to Kody. Passive aggressively she swears she doesn’t blame Robyn for her own problems with Kody. ” Robyn’s phenomenal, she’s wonderful and she sees mine and Kody’s relationship struggling and it breaks her heart,” she shares.  Yea right, we don’t believe for an instant that Christine really believes that Robyn is wonderful. No, she’s green with envy that Robyn is getting “more” time and attention from Kody, and is now pregnant with Kody’s 17th child.

To make matters worse, Robyn blabs to the other three sister wives that she’s determined to have a “honeymoon” experience for” years and years” with Kody, like her own parents had together. ” I take care of my own things when Kody’s not here and when he is, we sit here and make each other the priority, create this really cool experience”, she explains. Somehow, in her house, it seems like she has put her kids to bed early enough for she and Kody to have alone time.

Meri, wife#1, also seems to mostly enjoy her new independence in her own house and since she only has one older daughter, Mariah, she ‘s not as frazzled when Kody’s around as Christine and Janelle.. And Janelle, wife#2, still is more freaked out about not having her career anymore  and about the fact that the family is running through their savings, to be in a tizzy that Kody isn’t there for her and their 6 kids nearly as much as he used to be.

The  truth is that while Kody used to bedhop each night, the sister wives and children all saw him far more in Utah when three wives and their children all shared one house. Now, he’s on the road between all four. How he will EVER be able to have another paying job, besides shooting this show- I don’t know. How will he possibly fit a job in between nurturing his relationships with ” four independent, strong-willed women” , and giving a smidgeon of attention to each of his 16, soon-to-be 17 kids.

I don’t like to be this guy who goes from ” home, to home, to home,” he bemoans. But who can feel sorry for him – this is what he wanted.

And no one seems to want the sister wife lifestyle and big polygamist family more than Robyn who goes all passive/ aggressive on her own when Meri dares to say she wants her own independent career instead of a family business that all four wives and Kody run together. The five adults all meet to discuss business ideas since they are all unemployed. Kody wants them all to work together but Meri announces that she wants to go back to working with “at-risk” youth.

“You’re trying NOT to be a part of my family anymore,” screeches Robyn. ” You like living apart and you want to work somewhere else. You said we were going to be a family,” she accuses. Poor Meri. First Robyn’s pregnancy reminds her that she’s infertile and now Robyn’s dissing her career ambitions. It’s a miracle, Meri and Christine don’t get together and sink their claws into Robyn together.

This was a stellar episode with all this raw emotion being honestly expressed and with Kody’s exhausting “commuting ” schedule exposed with it’s stressful demands. But it doesn’t end until the entire family gathers at Robyn’s house for the big reveal of her baby’s sex. The Brown family already has 10 girls and 6 boys- something which freaks out the fetal sonogram technician who clearly thinks Kody Brown is joking when he tells her, he has four wives .

Lucky wife #4 Robyn, has “secret hopes” and she does get her wish – Kody’s going to have his seventh boy!

Even Christine says she’s excited. Stay tuned!

-BONNIE FULLER

Diane M. Wood

Posted at 7:38 PM on August 8, 2013

Cody’s comment to Robyn “you are so pretty, you don’t need to know how to cook”, was the meanest comment to say in front of his other wives I’ve heard in a long time from him. What a JERK. You girls aught to wise up and dump that egoist. Meri’s the only one who is unlucky enough to be married to him.but the others can walk whenever they want. I have to shake my head to line up the holes every time that man opens his mouth. Wise up ladies!!!!! Life doesn’t last forever. 8/8/13

Melissa

Posted at 9:38 AM on March 29, 2013

I think Cody brown is in dire need of grooming & to be neutered . I feel sorry for hunter because there is something that is really bothering him . Cody needs to be a parent & talk to his child .

fair

Posted at 11:19 PM on May 13, 2012

i think the show is very good i love it!!!!but i dont think it is fair how kody only thinks about robyn and not about the others…if i was in a realtionship like that i would want my husband to love all of us the same and show all of us the same attention not just one all of us…and spend time with all of us not just one

Mike

Posted at 6:37 AM on February 10, 2012

Kody is a clown… When do you think he will start impregnating his daughters do u think? That’s all it is: the kody show. These women are making themselves a laughing stock. Oh kody can I suck your c*ck tonight? No I wanna! You women all hate each other and kody is a pervert and looks at you like cattle to breed not women with feelings and self dignity! Because you have none!

Wives

Posted at 6:59 AM on February 10, 2012

Nice sports car kody! Maybe you can pick up a 5th wife with that. This is far from religious! I have no respect for real polygamy (excuse for pedo) let alone your sexcapades. You are practically a sperm donor. Hopefully the separate homes give your wives the oppouritunity to branch away from this abusive relationship and meet some genuine, caring men and proper father figures for these neglected children! Remember ladies there are plenty of men out there- no need to share and be miserable…

Amanda

Posted at 1:56 AM on November 19, 2011

Oy vey! Robyn is obnoxious, I think there is something wrong with her, for real. Even the sound if her voice makes me cringe.

DLJ

Posted at 7:38 PM on November 5, 2011

I think they families are nice, but I get tired of Cody complaining about everything. He/they chose to come out and get PAID for it. They have very nice homes and cars. Everything they have is nice and I do not see them working now other than this show. As hard as the majority of people have it in this world or country it is petty and stupid of Cody to complain about how “ROUGH” he has it by having to go from one expensive home to another, drive nice cars, have expensive toys. He is petty, likes the spotlight. Their children are good, but he did not have to move nothing was happening and he uprooted the children. Very selfish individual. It has gotten to where I cannot stand to watch it. It is all about CODY CODY CODY. Robin is younger, prettier and he is showing her the majority of his attention.

Anonymous

Posted at 3:31 AM on October 24, 2011

when a society accepts polygamy, pedophilia increases exponentially. AMERICAN MORONS!

Marguerite

Posted at 8:52 PM on October 23, 2011

I think all the wives should ban together and tell creepy Kody to hit the road. Everything he says is “me, me, me” – “the kids need me, I did this, I did that, I want, I want, I want”. He’s a supreme user and manipulator and the sooner he’s out of all their lives, the better off everyone will be – especially the poor kids who have been subjected to this sick situation.

guest

Posted at 7:13 PM on October 28, 2011

I totally agree!

oldbrd

Posted at 9:58 PM on October 11, 2011

What do you think… I could see him dumping the first 3 wives and keeping Robyn with new women.

Whitney

Posted at 8:04 PM on October 11, 2011

I bet Tiger Woods is watching this show right now saying, “Damn! Why didn’t I think of that?!” This is nothing more than an idiot man trying to justify his selfish behavior. Gee, let’s have a family of “Brother HUSANDS” shall we?! Everytime a woman gets restless and needs a new “toy” to add to the mix, then she can add another husband. I mean come on. You can call this anything you want, but that is really all this is. He cannot justify this. He cannot commit to one person. He’s the idiot; one of these days the camera will stop rolling and HE has seventeen mouths to feed. SO FAR…what an ass.

Elisa

Posted at 6:44 AM on February 10, 2012

Whitney I love you! My thoughts exactly! Brother husbands! They can all fight over paternity of children and whose next in line to impregnate me… I’m getting h*rny just thinking about it! One will wash the dishes, one will cook, one will feed me grapes and whisper compliments in my ear, and ALL of them will bring home the bacon;) except me!

Babette

Posted at 4:01 PM on February 26, 2012

I’ll go for that myself.

taz

Posted at 6:48 PM on October 31, 2013

i’m actually looking into polyandsm very hard (having more than one husband). i don’t think there is nothing wrong with it and its easier than having a bunch of women. face it guys all like the same cars, toys(tools, game consols), and video games! and hell most guys dont mind guys doin a woman with a partner, not that thats how polyandism or my idea of another husbnad will work! i think its a decision that only consenting adults can make and it shouldn’t be rejudized. and hey if the guys get along i’m not complaining. it broadens the social ring and gives my first love a second shot with me and i with him. its something i think all women should consider for mostly the sole reason of trust and strengthening the existing love with the first husband.

Alexa

Posted at 12:33 AM on October 11, 2011

Awwww… poor Kody! Such a demanding schedule… driving his little sportcar from house-to-house-to-house… He may never be able to have a real job again… poor guy.. as if anyone would hire such an idiot. I’ve got news for him… Vegas (the side the tourists don’t see – out where the real people LIVE) is just as conservative – if not more so – than Utah. There are nearly as many Mormons here as there. And they don’t approve of polygamy. Neither does the District Attorney.

Tuesday

Posted at 2:39 PM on October 11, 2011

Why does he drive a sports car anyway? It’s not practical with all those wives and children.

sheila

Posted at 12:03 AM on October 11, 2011

Why is it ok for him to have the 4 women, but he thinks it would be “vulgar” for the women to have more than one man.

Tuesday

Posted at 2:38 PM on October 11, 2011

I think Kody is only married to Meri legally – the other sister wives are not legally married to him.

Alexa

Posted at 6:27 PM on November 9, 2011

He can only be legally married to ONE woman at any given time. There is not a single state in the United States that recognizes polygamy. He can’t even register the other three women as “domestic partners”, since the companies/states/organizations that recognize those relationships also operate under the “one to a customer” rule. The botom line is that he’s married to one, and shacking up with three others. That actually works in the women’s favor at tax time – the three can claim “single, head of household” and get tax breaks Kody and the Missus (married, filing jointly) won’t get.

Audrey, North Vancouver

Posted at 12:58 AM on October 16, 2011

Hey Sheila,

I remember that too. Last year when he was posed the question by someone interviewing him when they asked him, “Well what would you say if the four of them were to have husbands instead?” and he used that word “vulgar” to describe what he thought it would be. Funny – double standard or what, and that’s a pretty harsh word to be using, when he does the same thing?!?

PS But I really have respect for this family b/c the children seem happy, and they are always centre stage in whatever decision happens to be – they are always number one.

mezzie

Posted at 1:08 AM on October 22, 2011

Sheila hit the nail on the head.

elaameli

Posted at 12:50 AM on October 25, 2011

Exactly, I would enjoy the benefits of new love while still loving my husband.

me

Posted at 7:06 PM on October 10, 2011

i honestly feel he caters to robyn more too..i was watching his face when he was with each wife or looking at the wives and he has the most love for her…just cause she is the new sex toy i think and she probably is gonna name the baby cody jr

Tuesday

Posted at 2:42 PM on October 11, 2011

I agree. I’ve noticed when he kisses the other women, he does it in such a hard, detached way, it’s almost uncomfortable to look at because I know the women notice it. When he kisses Robin, it’s allot more romantic.

cindy

Posted at 5:39 PM on October 10, 2011

What does she expect. Christine used to be the newest,youngest wife. She has now been replaced by Robyn as the new sex kitten. Also if they aren’t working how do they afford all those houses?

Tuesday

Posted at 2:45 PM on October 11, 2011

They get paid by TLC for the show. Everyone over 18 in their family probably gets paid. Compensation for the kids under 18 goes to the parent.

Audrey, North Vancouver, BC

Posted at 1:15 AM on October 16, 2011

I am sooooooo very, very, curious. Does anybody know how much the family gets per episode or per season for doing the show.

Also, none of them has a job and now, apparently, Kody has said that he now, again, has to use the rest of his retirement savings to pull the family along. In addition, he said something about not having any taxbreaks because he’s had to rent instead of own, four houses????

cyd

Posted at 9:02 AM on October 22, 2011

My guess would be since only one of the children is considered a legitimate child, and the other 3 mothers are non-working, they collect welfare checks for the remaining 16 kids. Minor children without insurance receive medicaid insurance through the state. The average welfare payment for a family of four is $346 a month. Combined with $668 in food stamps, about $1,014 a month is available. So Janelle has 6 children….she would probably qualify for $700. per month welfare and another $902.00 in food stamps, which can now be redeemed for cash. This would equal around $1602.00 for Janelle. Christine has 6 children also, so she would be receiving the same amount. Robyn has 2 children and one on the way, so her monthly take would be around $1000. Meri would be out in the cold, as she is Kody’s only legal wife, he would have to be responsible for the bills in that household. Combined they probably bring in about $4200. per month. Not a lot for 5 adults and 17 children. And this is IF they collect welfare. The minor children would all be covered under state run medicaid for health insurance. The average rent for a 3 bed/3bath house in LV right now is $800. per month. Ecluding Meri’s house, if this is the rate they got, it would be $2400. per month for the 3 wives. Leaving just 1800. for food and supplies and utilities. Not much money to keep 3 households afloat. It WAS probably better in Utah, in one house. But, we will never know if they collect welfare or not, those are not public records.

DLJ

Posted at 9:15 PM on November 5, 2011

No they are not getting welfare and I am not sure where the woman above got her figures, but they are way off.

DDB

Posted at 1:01 AM on December 25, 2011

They better not get food stamps or I will start a petition against Nevada’s Welfare Department. I promise.

Alexa

Posted at 6:22 PM on November 9, 2011

Unfortunately for the kids, Utah and Nevada are not parties to the Coogan Law, so chances are good that Kody and Krew are running through the money the minors are earning as fast as they’re running through their own show earnings. I hope none of the kids is expecting a college fund, because there won’t be a cent left for them.

polygrrl

Posted at 5:26 PM on October 10, 2011

I thought she was saying it with humor, but that she was serious. I think she really means it, because I think Meri is withdrawing and being too independent. I just think Robyn has a hard time confronting people, and she wants Meri not to be mad at her, so she says it with a laugh.

I also think that Christine is being real, but I don’t think she will break up with Kody over it. It’s just a difficult time, all relationships go through them.

For a review of this episode from a poly perspective, check out http://www.polygrrl.com.

Roberto

Posted at 4:59 PM on October 10, 2011

I interpreted Robyn’s little “rant” as joking. It seemed light-hearted. I agree with Christine. I feel like he is more affectionate towards Robyn than any of the other wives.

I am wondering how, if their funds are so limitted, they can afford for Robyn to go to private ob-gyns, midwives, and ultrasound clinics. It seems like frivilous spending to me.

Tuesday

Posted at 2:52 PM on October 11, 2011

They probably don’t have insurance and I bet the producers on TLC help them find and fund medical care.

Marguerite

Posted at 8:58 PM on October 23, 2011

TLC and the taxpayers are paying for this jackass and his harem.

Laura

Posted at 3:26 PM on October 10, 2011

Kim – I agree….she was totally joking and they were all laughing. And I thought it was pretty brave of Christine to voice her emotions without being hostile or weepy. I do think she likes Robin….her emotions are seperate from Robin as a person.

Kim

Posted at 3:04 PM on October 10, 2011

I took it that Robyn was kidding when she said “You’re trying NOT to be a part of my family anymore…You like living apart and you want to work somewhere else. You said we were going to be a family.” They both started laughing.

sam

Posted at 2:21 PM on October 10, 2011

all of these bitches are sick why did u marry of of these ladies and have 18 kids sicko and the ladies is all cool and normal with it

Only wife

Posted at 2:41 AM on October 19, 2011

If you look closely you can tell that the wives all seem to prefer living in separate houses. They are all “saying” they love the lifestyle, but Kody is the only one who seems happy. And why not, he’s living a fantasy. One wife is annoyed or stressed or in Christines case pregnant, he can just hop in his little two seater and roll out. Where is the religious component? Did Kody really have to add to the family as Christine was having a baby? That was cold. The kids reveal alot. Which kid will be the first to get pregers? I think Janelle’s oldest daughter.