Angry Adoptive Mom Starts Petition Over 'Glee' Plotline!

Sun, October 9, 2011 10:44am EDT by 21 Comments

On the show, Quinn is trying to steal the baby that she gave to Shelby back!

One adoptive mother is upset over the Glee plotline involving Quinn’s biological child, whom Shelby adopted!

Quinn has vowed to get the daughter she gave up for adoption to Shelby back by any means possible — and this makes adoptive mom Amber Austin angry, The Los Angeles Times reports.

Amber has started a petition to encourage the show to put a public service announcement after each episode that involves this story because she believes it’s damaging to adoptive families.

“I’m horrified at how the show has handled this. It’s inaccurate, and puts forth a perspective that can cause real harm with adoptive parents,” she said.

Amber wants Glee creator Ryan Murphy to end each episode with a PSA that details the reality of adoption.

What do you think, HollyMoms? Does Amber have the right to be mad?

Watch the ‘Glee’ episode ‘I Am Unicorn’!

More ‘Glee’ News!

1. Who’s The Ultimate ‘Glee’ Diva? Rachel, Sunshine & More! Vote!
  2. Mercedes Isn’t Pregnant On ‘Glee’ & I’m Glad — She’d Be A Terrible Mother!
  3. ‘Glee’ Recap: Mercedes Is Selfish For Not Sharing The Lead Role!

Colleen

Posted at 3:13 PM on November 5, 2011

Seriously, as an adoptive mom I think this is all completely ridiculous! We as adoptive parents need to get over ourselves. If you are not secure in your parenthood then you shouldn’t have adopted in the first place. Birth moms do sometimes want their kids back. And why not! It is only a piece of paper that makes that kid someone else’s. I defy any parent adoptive to walk away from a child and not be devestated but if a woman who gives birth does that she is demonized.

I find it completely in tune with the self centered society that says “mine mine mine” you can’t have her I paid for her and just because she shares your biology and you carried her in your womb for 9 months doesn’t give you are right to love care or miss her.

RealityCheck

Posted at 3:45 AM on October 13, 2011

I think people get butthurt over the dumbest crap. It’s not a reality show- it’s a fictional television show. It’s like a soap opera. Look at all of the twists and turns and baby scenarios etc on any soap opera. They don’t have PSAs and all that other nonsense. Get a freakin life and stop crying over stuff. If you want to watch a show for it’s teaching value, then go watch Discovery or else put your big girl pants on and stop belly aching over a fake tv show. Some people these days.. smh. Everything is offensive. Figgin cry babies….

Tia

Posted at 2:56 PM on October 11, 2011

I agree with the petition. I am an adoptee and I adopted. There is already too much uncertainty regarding adopted kids in the eyes of the court and whose kid they are.

Clearstreamed

Posted at 10:19 PM on October 10, 2011

But did anyone start a petition to protest about the horrible portrayal of unicorn??? that is what I want to know !!

These people should be busy raising their adoptive kids.

Molly

Posted at 7:29 AM on October 10, 2011

My cousin is adopted and so is one of my close friends and neither of them had any issue. They didnt even think twice about it. Adoptive moms are extreamly whipped, and always the one complaining. They need to grow up and stop being so sensitive about everything.
When was the last time that any childs real mother watched a tv show and decided she wanted her child back? Glee is dealing with an issue that birth parents deal with, and you adoptive parents dont, because you got the child you always wanted. You had no sacrifice to make.

emily

Posted at 11:45 PM on October 9, 2011

wht?! she attacted dianna for that! she should’ve attacked ryan murphy instead of dianna!! dianna was just following the stupid script! i want a law suit and sue that girl! im gonna take a 48 hour flight from the “philippines” and just to defend dianna! they could take my feet and arms but im still gonna stand and defend dianna, i mean im adopted but my real parents are soo not abusive or something, goshhh people!! it’s dianna were taling about!!

Pookie

Posted at 5:18 PM on October 9, 2011

Another Mommbie attacking anything that makes her realize the real world still exists outside of kids. I think the story line is a bit much but for once Glee is taking on an issue and since we haven’t seen the inevitable part where she realizes she is happy with her choice this chick should cool her jets and let the teens who watch the show see adoption be talked about in a way that’s not all rainbows and sunshine.

MM

Posted at 2:08 PM on October 9, 2011

If your family is going to be harmed by a plotline in a fictional show, then the fabric of your family wasn’t that strong to begin with.

Besides, these ARE things some families go through, positions some mothers–who have either given up their child for foster care, or have adopted a child in foster care–often find theirselves in. I applaud Ryan Murphy for going beyond the white-picket-fence image of life and going into the gritty details that–for many–are an everyday reality. To show that is more therapeutic than harmful.

reader

Posted at 1:03 PM on October 9, 2011

Advertisers spend billions each year. Its proven that a 30 second spot can affect your behavior and perceptions.

So why is it the producers of TV shows think 20 minutes of television does NOT affect our behavior and perceptions….??

I agree with her. TV shows should take responsibility for content.

Roberto

Posted at 2:15 PM on October 9, 2011

How about people take responsibility for their own stupidity. I find it laughable that the posters on this site will give their own intelligence more credit than other’s critical thinking ability. That includes Amber Austin. I think it is complete unnecessary to assume that people will not recognize a silly plot when presented with one. I knew immediately when I saw the teaser that stealing back and adopted child would be wrong and damaging to everyone involved. I am not so egocentric that I would assume that I am the only person in the world to have that “revelation”.

fuzzypink76

Posted at 12:46 PM on October 9, 2011

Things like this could still happen, regardless of whether glee uses it for an episode or not. It happens all the time

Nara Cheng

Posted at 12:46 PM on October 9, 2011

Hi Hollywoodlife. m nara from cambodia. i wanna know about news from Taylor Swift. Will be she back to Taylor Lautner again? I’d love see her again on the big screen again. I love taylor

em

Posted at 12:37 PM on October 9, 2011

as much as i enjoy glee for the musical performances. The storyline is completely ridiculous and always has me shaking my head as to how stupid, lazy and potential harmful it can be because of the popularity of it.
That one character, Rachel who is a complete idiot when it comes to her boyfriend for instance- great message for girls, be dedicated until the boy comes in…
Yes the plotline with Quinn is stupid and ultimately will serve no purpose. I think this mom, wanting to bring attention to the real issues on adoption is a great idea. The show needs to touch base with reality.

MM

Posted at 2:24 PM on October 9, 2011

If you’re child is not okay enough with being adopted that he/she can’t handle even watching one of the worst-case scenarios of adoption on a show about high school, he/she has more issues than just watching a sad plotline that YOU–as his/her parent–need to talk to him/her about. Television shouldn’t be educating your kids, that’s YOUR job.

Moreover, this IS a situation many adoptive families find theirselves in–a battle between the adoptive parents and the birth parents. You can’t expect television to always show the positive side in these things–in fact, part of what this show aims to do is broaden people’s horizons, and show the less glamorous side of high school. If people can’t see that, then, as I said before, they got deeper issues than just this show.

Chelse

Posted at 11:23 AM on October 9, 2011

I 100000% agree! Stupid plots like this can cause serious harm to adoptive families! People might think that they can come and just take the baby back, or might even try to steal said baby back.

I understand they need drama for ratings, but they really need to be careful about they put out to the public!

Anna

Posted at 11:50 AM on October 9, 2011

And what about the gays? The eating disorders? The other many disorders they talk on the show and make fun? Dont you people think it hahrm people who actually struggle ith some of those???

People who actually watch the show, knows its a fictional story and is for fun, enterteinment. So GROW UP!

Chelse

Posted at 2:07 PM on October 9, 2011

First off, I don’t watch the show so I don’t know what goes on with it. If they poke fun of any kind of disorder I believe they should be reprimanded. I know first hand how hard an eating disorder is.

And when I said that they need to be careful about that they put out to the public I meant on ALL topics, not just the issues of adoption.

There is nothing “fun” or “entertaining” about making a mockery of people.

Shyanne

Posted at 6:26 PM on October 9, 2011

I don’t think they are “making fun, or making a mockery” out of adoptive families either. So we can’t talk about eating disorders, gays, adoptions, depression or any of the stuff that makes a show more realistic and entertaining? WOuld you watch a show where everything was just fine and dandy and nothing ever happened? I agree with Anna on this one.

MM

Posted at 2:20 PM on October 9, 2011

I didn’t realize being gay was a disorder.

Chelse

Posted at 3:37 PM on October 9, 2011

Being gay isn’t a disorder. I didn’t mean to imply that or offend anyone, I was commenting on the eating disorder and ‘other’ disorders she commented on. I’m sorry if that offended anyone or came off rude.

MM

Posted at 2:18 PM on October 9, 2011

People will think that regardless of what a show does or doesn’t do. Birth parents have tried to steal their babies from adoptive parents before this show came on, and they’ll keep doing it after it’s long gone. If anything, Ryan Murphy’s doing people a service by showing that this is something many people go through in adopting a child. If people can’t see that this doesn’t represent all adoptive families, then they’ve got more issues than a bad plotline.