An Open Letter To 'Gossip Girl' Writers: Why Chuck & Blair Are Meant For Each Other

Fri, October 7, 2011 7:40pm EDT by 57 Comments

Royalty shmoyalty… ‘Gossip Girl’ writers lets get rid of Prince Louis and get back to the real King and Queen — Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf!

Dear Gossip Girl writers — In the words of the heartsick man in Love Actually: “Enough. Enough now.” It’s time to stop messing with Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf. Chuck made a good point that Louis waited far longer for Blair than Chuck ever did when he was standing on the Empire State building, but the truth is, Louis has nothing on Chuck. Do you hear me? NOTHING!

I’ve compiled a list for the top five reasons why Blair and Chuck are meant to be together. I’ve asked a few loyal Chair fans to help me. (Thank you guys!! Sorry I couldn’t put every singe person’s reason but I think this is the gist of it.) Writers — please see below, and act accordingly:

1) Blair and Chuck truly know each other, in every way possible, and love each other anyway. They are completely accepting of one another’s faults. As @ladynetdoma puts it, they are “all-forgiving”. Even Blair’s mother Eleanor agrees: “She found a partner-in-crime in Charles, certainly.”

2) They are each cunning, smart, and manipulative and together they are, as @SunnySabry says, “a force to be reckoned with”. “You don’t get nearly enough credit for your wit.” – Chuck to Blair.

4) They are an unlikely pair, and when they first hooked up I didn’t fully know what to think of it. It was unexpected, but amazing. “Because somehow two wrongs make one twisted right.” – Serena (via @jazy736)

5) “They are the king and queen in Gossip Girl’s game of chess, and everyone else is a pawn.” (Josh Schwartz’ words reworded by @lucreziareigns)

The list can go on and on … as I’m sure the Chairleaders will show you in their comments below. So please, just put Prince Louis down, gently now, and step away slowly with your hands in the air. We won’t hurt you, so long as you surrender.

XOXO,

Lorena O’Neil

P.S. Baby Bass … he’s a necessity too. Thanks.

Kelly

Posted at 2:36 AM on October 8, 2011

Thanx Lorena! Chair is the best couple on tv!

Andrea

Posted at 2:34 AM on October 8, 2011

Lovely write up. I adore it like Chuck adores Blair’s Falk stockings. ;)

Rett

Posted at 1:50 AM on October 8, 2011

I completely agree with all of you!!! I love the article !!! Thank you for collaberating . Number 3 Really pushes all this home!They would do anything for each other and there friends! They would both go that extra distance just to see one another happy. Look at Chuck he sacraficed his desire to have Blair . just so she could have her fairytale! And in 5.02 beauty and the feast in the midst of everything Blair asks Dan about Chuck ! if that doesnt speak loudy I dont know what will then!

Dana

Posted at 1:30 AM on October 8, 2011

Thank you Lorena. Best of luck in all your future endeavors. We’ve loved the Chair articles you’ve posted. :)

SARAH

Posted at 1:24 AM on October 8, 2011

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU CHUCK AND BLAIR SHOULD BE BCK TOGETHER IT MAKES GG HAVE VIBE. I LOVE CHUCK AND BLAIR THEY LOOK SO CUTE WITH EACH OTHER AND THEY A RE FUN AND THEY BELONG WITH ONE ANOTHER. PRINCE LOUIS SHOULD GO

Gina

Posted at 1:18 AM on October 8, 2011

Awww, I hope you’re right. Sometimes i worry that I won’t ever get my CB back, but all these reasons and the latest spoilers about Chuck and Blair interaction give me hope that this pregnancy might eventually bring them back together.

Step

Posted at 1:00 AM on October 8, 2011

“Enough. Enough now.” Well stated. I am so sick of the writers putting Chuck and Blair and their fans through the ringer on this show. It’s tiring and I am just about to leave because of it. Put Chuck and Blair together, Writers, because your show without them is terrible.

crista

Posted at 12:57 AM on October 8, 2011

Number 3 stuck with me: 3) They put each other’s happiness above their own. Chuck and Blair have proven this countless times, the last instance was the season finale last year when Chuck told Blair to stay with Louis. Precious! This happened before too, “Why did you just do that Chuck?” -S “Because I love her,and I cant make her happy.” -C (via @BoomBoomBangx)

These two are just meant to be!

lexie

Posted at 12:46 AM on October 8, 2011

I am rooting for these two to get back together. They’re the reason I first started watching and fell in love with the show. I know “if two people are meant to find their way back to each other” they will. :)

Carrie

Posted at 12:44 AM on October 8, 2011

Chuck and Blair are the reason I still watch this stupid show. Good article!

Bonnie

Posted at 12:42 AM on October 8, 2011

I do love these two together. I stopped watching the show live last year but I always check their scenes on youtube these days.

I so think that baby is his and Blair lies about it!

Sami

Posted at 10:16 PM on October 7, 2011

do you think rihanna and chris brown are meant to be too?? all girls should be with guys who try to rape them & abuses them.

WTF is wrong with you???

Jill

Posted at 12:40 AM on October 8, 2011

Hey idiot Dair fan. He didn’t abuse her, he abused a window. You guys are just really pathetic and desperate.

Loved the article and yeah, it should be Chuck and Blair because they are the couple most root for!

Dana

Posted at 1:32 AM on October 8, 2011

I know! Sometimes I wonder if I’m even watching the same show as these nutjobs. Plus he sure never tried to rape her. They live in crazy town.

Wendy

Posted at 5:23 AM on October 8, 2011

Your comment is a real insult to Rhianna, who is a REAL person and was REALLY ABUSED in REAL LIFE.
Only a person whose never actually experienced domestic violence in their own life would ever accuse a fictional character – one who did not, btw, commit the act – of abuse. If you had, you’d know for certain that Chuck did no such thing! You have no idea what you’re even talking about! And these are FICTIONAL CHARACTERS!

I try to look at a characters motivations and why they do the things they do. It’s interesting and very telling. Chuck was shocked that he really was losing Blair and therefore punched the window out of frustration, sadness, and the reality of the situation as he was realizing it. CB have been going back and forth with each other for so long that it couldn’t be possible that he could really lose her. I don’t think he ever though it could happen or be so final. She’s always come back to him. It was devastating to him. It would be for anyone. He didn’t punch that window to hurt her. That was not his intention at all.
If you don’t even want to try and look down deep into a character’s motivations to understand them better, then you’re just a hater.

I love Chair and they belong together!

Tanya

Posted at 10:07 PM on October 7, 2011

So much love for this article right now! I stopped watching Gossip Girl last year because it just got sooo bad and the lack of chuck and blair turned me off but this article just reminds me of the best part of gossip girl: chair! They are truly meant to be.

Chris

Posted at 9:18 PM on October 7, 2011

so much truth to this article!! Love it thank you!! and please writers listen!!

ds

Posted at 9:06 PM on October 7, 2011

Thank you for this lovely post!!! I hope writers do listen to our wishes!!! Its beyond words that how much I love and miss Chuck&Blair <3

Jennifer

Posted at 8:30 PM on October 7, 2011

I agree that enough is enough with Chuck and Blair. Time to redeem Chuck and reunite them for good. The writers have put them and their fans through the ringer. Thank you for this write up and all the nice pro Chuck and Blair ones you’ve done recently. :)

Lauren

Posted at 8:27 PM on October 7, 2011

So many reasons:
They are inevitable.
They are magnetic.
Blair will always be Chuck’s family.
Chuck knows her better than he knows himself.

Love the write up! Thank you Lorena!

Beth

Posted at 8:26 PM on October 7, 2011

Great quotes! They’re definitely the kind of couple that books are written about!

lala

Posted at 8:23 PM on October 7, 2011

Because in the face of true love you don’t just give up…

Thaaaaaank u Lorena!!!!!!!!! u r amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra

Posted at 8:20 PM on October 7, 2011

This article is so sweet. Love them and they are truly a great television couple!

Morgan

Posted at 8:05 PM on October 7, 2011

YES! You are amazing, and this list is amazing. I think the twisted perfection of Chuck and Blair was even embodied in the season 4 finale when Chuck tells Nate he let Blair go because he saw how light she was with Louis, and he loved that side of her. And meanwhile, you have Blair on the other side thinking Chuck only loves her dark side and that is why they would be miserable together forever. You don’t know it, Blair, but Chuck loves all of you! And Chuck, you don’t know it, but Blair’s already figured out that her fairytale isn’t all it was cracked up to be, but she continues on because she remembers you told her to marry Lousi!

Ahhh! Just figure it out and get it together, you two!

Jan

Posted at 7:59 PM on October 7, 2011

#5 is actually a quote from show creator Josh Schwartz himself a few years back: Gossip Girl is “a chess game,” where “Chuck and Blair are the king and queen. Everyone else, except Serena, is a pawn.” Why settle for being a princess when she’s already Queen and has found her King?

I agree with Hannah. There’s no one in the world who will love each other more than the way they love each other. It really comes down to that.

Lorena O Neil

Posted at 8:41 PM on October 7, 2011

oops, I’ll add that note, thank you Jan!

Aurora

Posted at 7:59 PM on October 7, 2011

You rock! Love the article and I couldn’t agree more.
Chuck and Blair are the core of the show and without them Gossip Girl is losing what it once was. Chuck and Blair are original because it’s not about the good girl falling for the bad boy and changing him, or vice versa. It’s about to flawed and destructive characters coming together and loving all sides. We never had Chuck say that he wanted Blair to change for him and vice versa. They accept the good and the bad, the dark and the light. Their love story is like no other and yes it has been a long and a rough ride but it’s all worth it because nobody writes stories about the ones that come easy.

Hannah

Posted at 7:50 PM on October 7, 2011

I could list all the reasons why they work, and all the legendary couples they remind me of (Scarlett and Rhett, CK Dexter Haven and Tracy Lord, Beauty and the Beast!) but really it boils down to them loving and wanting each other more than they could ever love or want anyone else. Why should either settle for something simple when they can have something great?

We’ll miss you Lorena!

Megan

Posted at 7:45 PM on October 7, 2011

Love this and I agree! Love Chuck and Blair and we’ll miss you!