'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: The 7 Reasons Why Derek Really Sucked Tonight!

Thu, October 6, 2011 10:43pm EDT by 20 Comments

He was so terrible, I wish I had been watching baseball and not the show!

Seriously, Grey’s Anatomy, what is going on with Derek Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey)?

It was the guys’ episode tonight, surgeries happened, decks were built. But I’m going to focus on the reasons that Derek is the worst person ever (at least in the world of Seattle Grace).

1. He won’t talk about work with Meredith (Ellen Pompeo). She tried to question him about his surgery, but he brutally rebuffed his wife. “I’m not going to do this whole thing where you’re sad about every case that I have,” he said. Jeez, Derek. Can your wife ask you a question?

2. He insults her to the other attendings. When Alex (Justin Chambers) was late to the surgery, Dr. Warren (Jason George) pointed out that “Dr. Grey was never late.” “No, she was many things, but late was not one of them,” Derek retorted.

3. He kicked Alex off of his service for not appreciating the human spine enough. Derek, does everyone has to be as “perfect” as you think you are to work with you?

4. He let Avery (Jesse Williams) do what looked to be a complicated procedure, even though Avery had only seen it on video. It seems to me, he’s just rubbing salt in the viewers’ wound about how much he doesn’t want to work with Meredith anymore.

5. He made a bunch of surgeons build his deck with power tools and hammers! Is it a good idea for men who depend on having fully functioning, delicate hands to hammer nails and use saws? No.

6. He didn’t invite Mark to revel in the deck-building fun! If Derek is going to endanger the hands of all the male surgeons in the hospital, why not ask his best friend to join?

7. He’s so f*****g stubborn. “Meredith. Some days I miss her so much, I don’t know if I’m going to make it,” he told Mark. Well, then why are you freezing her out?

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Is Derek the worst or what?

– Denise Warner

More ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ News!

1. Derek Shepherd I Hate You With The Fire Of A Thousand Suns!
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Dr. Webber Resigns As Chief And The Attendings All Blame Meredith!
  3. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Meredith And Derek Could Lose Baby Zola Forever!

Horse lover

Posted at 7:36 PM on June 26, 2013

I despise McDreamy, and have done so from the start. I’m now watching reruns of Season 8, and dislike him more than ever. I understand having a loathesome character on a show. What confuses me is that apparently we’re supposed to like him and be attracted to him. I find him cold, manipulative, self centred and woman hating. I don’t find him physically attractive, either. What is he supposed to be, Shonda Rhimes’ dysfunctional father recreated?

KAT

Posted at 8:07 PM on February 29, 2012

I can get that Der was angry & hurt! He has always loved Mer so much! Relationships go from bad to good & back again over the course of a “lifetime” I also get why Mer stays, she feels guilty for time wasted leaving him. It’s all fictional anyway!! Hopefully season 8 is the last, I’ve watched every episode since day 1 & it is losing its appeal, but that started when they broke up the original fab 5-with George’s death & Izzy’s departure!

Lucía

Posted at 1:33 PM on December 31, 2011

I hate Derek

Anne

Posted at 7:05 PM on October 15, 2011

I agree with you on the Derek front but I soley blame the writers and Shonda for this. They will turn a character around on a dime if it suits what they want. Does anyone remember that last season Derek wanted to give adele the drug against all the rules and Mer talked him out of it? This could be a great discussion between them. Right now they are in a frozen state – careers on the rocks, marriage ditto and adoption same. Not a couple worth watching right now. If Shonda wanted to destroy this couple she is on the right track. Sad that if this is their last year that this is what we have to watch.

Former Merder fan

Posted at 5:49 PM on October 7, 2011

This article is pretty ridiculous mostly. He didn’t make anyone come pound nails. The treatment of Meredith has become pathetic and nasty. He seems to forget how many mistakes he’s made yet she’s forgiven. Frankly, I can’t see anything ever making me like or enjoy his character again. He has become insufferable and downright unlikable. My grandma watched the epi with me last night and said he needed a good kick in his keester. I wish someone would’ve smacked him with a hammer. I could care less about him in the future. I just hope Meredith gets that precious baby back. Meredith will be a wonderful mom but I would fear having Derek as my father. His temper would be so terrifying to a child.

formerGreyfan

Posted at 11:36 AM on October 7, 2011

Derek is so immature and condescending. Hunt should have decked him and maybe that would have knocked some sense into him. His actions speak louder than his words, so he can say he misses Mer all he wants, but until he begins treating Mer like his wife, he remains a douche.

Amanda

Posted at 11:15 AM on October 7, 2011

I agree that Derek was annoying on last night’s episode and I would prefer he could back to the “old” Derek. However, this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read:

So surgeon’s should not do any handiwork or anything having to do with their hands other than surgery? Maybe they should just walk around with bubble wrap on their hands at all times. Come on. Do you you really think that “real life” Dr’s don’t do work around their house or use power tools?

K

Posted at 12:25 PM on October 7, 2011

Actually, “real life” drs, as you call them, absolutely avoid activities that increase their chance of serious injury. If your arm is in a cast for 6 weeks, that’s 6 weeks you don’t get paid. Plus they can afford to hire someone else to do it!

formerGreyfan

Posted at 1:24 PM on October 7, 2011

Precisely

Sami

Posted at 9:37 AM on October 7, 2011

he’s a douchebag

Fiona

Posted at 9:32 AM on October 7, 2011

He is insufferable. If he missed her he wouldn’t ignore her and treat her like she is a piece of trash. He did the same thing to his 1st wife. See a pattern? Never ever wrong Dr. Derek Shepherd. He will make your life miserable. Meredith, you run girl. Run to the nearest lawyer’s office.

formerGreyfan

Posted at 11:40 AM on October 7, 2011

Totally agree

Maura O'Henry

Posted at 9:06 AM on October 7, 2011

Derek flat out sucks. He has always behaved this way. People are just finally beginning to notice. All but his fangirls and lonely desperate old women who are blinded by Dempsey’s looks and can’t tell the difference between character and man.

val

Posted at 8:21 AM on October 7, 2011

Denise Warner, you should stop pretending to write about television ’cause you are clearly just as idiot as a 12 year fangirl who only loooooves fairytales where Prince Charming worships the ground on which the Innocent Princess walks, where they kiss and then happily live forever.

Primetime drama television is about conflict, intrigue, guilt, redemption, arguing and forgiving, sometimes even tragedy, in one word DRAMA.

Grey’s Anatomy is a television drama series with fictional characters. If you hate a fictional character “with the power of a thousand suns” for being part of a fictional conflict storyline your place is in a mental institution.

anna

Posted at 3:35 AM on October 7, 2011

DEREK is being s totally ass and jerk and making him be so for so long is not good at all. Im hating him more and more everyday.

I didnt like last night episode at all.
It doesnt make sense for him to be such an ass and why the hell is Meredith taking it. divorce his sorry ass and move on to someone who will love you and appreciate you and forgive you like you do to him. Meredith forgave Derek for so much but he is just being mean and unreasonable and right down stupid.

you said well here.

Vickie

Posted at 1:24 AM on October 7, 2011

I can’t believe what the stupid Grey’s writer’s have done with my McDreamy!! I am hating Derek. Never thought that could happen. I am not buying the season 8 DVD because I do not want to rewatch this. It is painful. Grey’s attraction for me was the soft spot Derek always had for Mer. Their chemistry is the reason I watch. I can’t watch much longer and I have been a fan since season 1. Hate what they have done to Mer/Der. He is being abusive and I have no respect for Mer because she is tolerating this abuse. Shonda obviously does not know how to write for a married couple.

anonymous

Posted at 1:10 AM on October 7, 2011

You’re an idiot. Plain and simple. The other surgeons are grown men, he didn’t make them do anything, he invited them over to get some frustrations out. He didn’t kick Alex off the case because he didn’t appreciate the spine as much as Derek did, he kicked Alex off the case because he didn’t care about the case, he just wanted to log surgery hours. Avery didn’t say he saw a video, he said he saw one done…and its not like he walked away and left him alone. I’m not even going to start on the Meredith stuff. You clearly have something against Derek for no apparent reason. I think I’m done even checking this site if they’re going to let idiots write.

Katie

Posted at 12:16 AM on October 7, 2011

He’s magically douchetastic. I get Der can be angry, but his ongoing snit & need for Mer to be punished is getting old fast & took a once very likable character like Derek & has made him one I could care less about. I appreciate both Ellen Pompeo & Patrick Dempsey have fought for MerDer fans to have a more realistic SL for this couple, but I can’t imagine he ever thought his character would be assassinated in the process.

JBa

Posted at 11:57 PM on October 6, 2011

You said exactly what I feel & I am hooked on this how because of Meredith & Derek since 3/27/05 – but, Rhimes has made Derek so unpleasant and frankly, abusive, I don’t care what she does with character anymore.

Juan

Posted at 11:07 PM on October 6, 2011

I loved this episode, but I never like derek anyway