Johnny Depp Apologizes For His Rape Comments — Thank You!

Wed, October 5, 2011 2:00pm EDT by 8 Comments

Aren’t you so glad that Johnny Depp realizes that comparing himself to a rape victim when he gets photographed, is ridiculous? I sure am.

Johnny Depp, you really sent jaws dropping when the November issue of Vanity Fair hit the stands yesterday, Oct. 4, and you made completely offensive remarks about being a rape victim in your cover story interview.

You told the magazine that you so disliked having your picture taken in photo shoots — “you just feel like you’re being raped somehow,” you said.

Not surprisingly, RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) the rape victim advocacy group, almost immediately issued a statement taking offense to your incredibly offensive comments. After all, being a real rape victim is simply incomparable to having your photo taken by a world renowned photographer.

Here’s what RAINN said about you: “While photos may feel at times intrusive, being photographed in no way compares to rape — a violent crime which affects another American every 2 minutes. RAINN welcomes the opportunity to speak with Mr. Depp and educate him about the real life experiences faced by survivors every day, and ways that he can work with RAINN to help.”

Thankfully, you realized that your comments made you sound like an insensitive, out of touch ignoramus and you issued an apology.

Here it is: “I am truly sorry for offending anyone in any way. I never meant to. It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling,” Depp said. “I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful.  In an effort to correct my lack of judgment, please accept my heartfelt apology.”

RAINN has accepted your apology Johnny and I’m willing to accept it too. I just hope you’ve learned to be less self-centered from this experience.

Do you accept Johnny’s apology, Hollywoodlifers?

— Bonnie Fuller

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Pea Soop

Posted at 11:15 AM on January 25, 2012

I think the public should perhaps appologize to John for not recognizing that His statment suggests He is so miserable, but unable to do anything about that “used” feeling! I would be terribly uncomfortable, if in his position, to think of people drooling over pictures…

Me

Posted at 10:12 AM on October 8, 2011

If everything everyone said was so closely scrutinized all the time it would be annoying we have all said stuff that we wish we didn’t but being famous means everyone in the world knows every mistake you make give the guy a break

Morgan

Posted at 8:09 PM on October 7, 2011

Why do celebrities continue to feel the need to make rape comparisons? Did we learn nothing from the Kristen Stewart debacle?

I mean, I personally think that they are just people who accidentally said the wrong thing and it could happen to anyone. But still, they’re in the public eye and we the public are kind of crazed about this sort of thing. Publicists need to train their clients better to avoid these situations, haha.

rachel

Posted at 3:42 PM on October 6, 2011

Hey Bonnie..what you gonna say now?He apologized ..do you feel better ? You IDIOT!

Gemma

Posted at 12:29 AM on October 6, 2011

WOW – this site is getting more and more ridiculous every time I read it. Talk about jumping on the band wagon. I really dont think it is a big deal, hasnt Kristen Stewart also said this. No of us are celebs, and we have no idea what it is like to have 1000’s of cameras taking pictures of every little thing we do, i am sure it is intrusive. Johnny is always respectful of fans signing autographs and taking picture. Lets just leave him alone on this one, ok. And HL – step off your soap box for a bit and just report on celebrity outings, we dont need your social commentary on every little thing.

negin

Posted at 3:36 AM on October 6, 2011

agree

Jjbc

Posted at 4:01 PM on October 5, 2011

In this day and age it seems people are unable to say anything without some group taking offense. He never ment to disrespect actual rape victims he was just trying to describe his inner feelings. How sad that we have come to this point. People say things, they are not always trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I’m pretty sure people who belong tp RAINN have at some point uttered a word or two that someone would find offensive.

c

Posted at 3:32 PM on October 5, 2011

i really dont think its that big of a deal