I Think Bruno Mars' 'It Will Rain' Song For 'Breaking Dawn' Is About Jacob! Do You Agree?

Tue, September 27, 2011 6:22pm EDT by 23 Comments

There’s a debate in the Twi-verse about the new ‘Breaking Dawn’ soundtrack single and its meaning. Is it meant for Jacob or Edward? Vote!

Bruno Mars sings a gorgeously tragic and angst-ridden ballad called “It Will Rain” for the upcoming Breaking Dawn: Part 1 soundtrack. Personally, I love the song and think it’s perfect for Twilight, and I also think it is meant for one Jacob Black. Find out why!The song starts out with:”If you ever leave me baby, leave some morphine at my door / ‘Cause it would take a whole lot of medication / To realize what we used to have / But don’t have it anymore.”

This song doesn’t sound like it’s about somebody dying, it sounds like it’s about somebody leaving another person, which is relevant to Bella/Jacob and not Bella/Edward. (I’m not counting Bella turning into a vampire as her dying, obviously.) Jacob and Bella “used to have” something special but Jacob knows that once she marries Edward, what he and Bella had, not even in terms of a relationship but in terms of a close friendship, would be over because eventually she’d turn into a vampire.

Then let’s look at the chorus. “Cause there’ll be no more sunlight, if I lose you, baby / There’ll be no clear skies, if I lose you, baby/ Just like the clouds cry, my eyes will do the same if you walk away/ Every day it will rain.”

Um, sorry but Edward would be just fine if there was no more sunlight. Threatening to take the sun away from Edward means nothing. Jacob, on the other hand, my beautiful TAN Jacob, is often compared to the warm sun in Stephenie Meyer‘s books.

A big part of the first section of the Breaking Dawn novel is told from Jacob’s point of view, so I can definitely see this song being about what he is going through as he deals with Bella marrying Edward. Jacob as a wolf running through the forest to this song? Yup, can completely picture it.

That’s not to say the people who think this song is about Bella and Edward fighting over keeping the baby, or Edward grappling with possibly losing Bella when she gives birth, don’t have a point. There’s even one section of the song that points out the girl’s parents don’t like the guy crooning the lyrics and we all know how Charlie feels about Edward. But I think that might be taking the lyrics too literally, or rather even more literally than I am already taking them.

“The ‘Twilight’ movies for me (are) a love story. But it’s a dark love story. And I think the best way to describe the song is: it’s the darker side of love. I think that pretty much sums it up,” explained Bruno in a recent interview. Whether it’s Edward’s love or Jacob’s he’s write about there being a darker side of love, as we’ve seen throughout the saga.

Which character do you think the song will be playing for in the movie? Edward or Jacob?

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/fwr1hm_oBxE&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Follow Lorena on Twitter to talk Team Jacob vs. Team Edward!

Lana

Posted at 12:53 AM on January 6, 2012

I think that the first verse is about Jacob/Bella, because it says “keep in mind all the sacrifices I’m making” & that could be about Jacob leaving Sam’s pack & betraying the other werewolves/shape-shifters to keep Bella safe. I think that the 2nd verse is about Edward/Bella, because it says “your daddy can’t even look me in the eye,” and we all know that Charlie can’t stand Edward. I think that the chorus and the bridge are about both of them, because neither of them could stand to lose Bella. Also, i don’t think that we should dissect this song so much, because i doubt that Bruno Mars knows that much about Twilight *just saying*.

Jane

Posted at 10:51 PM on December 8, 2011

morphine won’t do anything for ever of them!

Jenna

Posted at 9:41 AM on November 11, 2011

The music video has E&B scenes, but when I hear the song, I imagine Jacob/Nessie.
I’ll never be your mother’s favorite (Bella after she learns Jake imprints)
Your daddy can’t even look me in the eye (Edward)
Oooh if I was in their shoes, I’d be doing the same thing
Saying there goes my little girl walking with that troublesome guy
But they’re just afraid of something they can’t understand
Oooh well little darling watch me change their minds (little darling to me refers more to a child than a woman)

Of course, knowing BD, it is prob about B&E, but when I hear this song, it’s going to always be Jacob/Nessie.

JazzCullen

Posted at 12:02 PM on November 10, 2011

I think it fits both to Edward and Jacob in different ways..
Edward got the girl and Jacob didnt in that way it fits Jacob but these lyrics would fit Edward if Bella left him “i never been your mothers favorite, your father cant even look me in the eye” that so Edward..
this could almost fit in New Moon when Edward left,when it comes to the chorus

Alisa

Posted at 3:54 PM on November 7, 2011

i know this is probably random, but i think this song should have been in new moon, it would have made alot more sense

sarita

Posted at 11:40 AM on October 22, 2011

i think its edward/bella. i used to think it was jacob/bella. but why would jacob say “i never been your mothers favorite, your father cant even look me in the eye” then bruno sings about how bella is going of with some troublesome guy. thats what here dad thought about edward, i loved jacob. thwn he also siings about making everyone like him. something edward would want to do. its possible that the song is for edward and jacob. but vecause of there facts i am leaning to edward/bella.

sarita

Posted at 11:41 AM on October 22, 2011

*he loved jacob* no i loved jacob, sorry

Kat

Posted at 9:51 PM on October 19, 2011

I think the first verse is from Jakes POV and the second verse from Edwards POV then from dont you say goodbye on is from both J/E POV. Listen to the word closely. Doesn’t matter who’s point of view its from can’t wait to see where it fits into the movie. Such a heart renching song I love it.

blah blah

Posted at 8:09 PM on October 10, 2011

I think its bella talking about nessie. Using the word ‘baby’ literally. I mean the whole movie is about bella trying to convince edward, that she doesn’t want to lose the baby.

But there are parts where it could be relating edward/bella’s rshp especially the whole troublesome daughter part…

Its all a mix.

PinkLady

Posted at 5:18 PM on October 9, 2011

I’m Team Both with a sadness for Jacob that pulls pretty hard so when I hear the words of the song talk about all the sacrifices, I think about what Edward asked Jacob to do in Breaking Dawn and how it tore him apart. Jacob’s tears: “It will rain” However, the verses may be flip flopping between Edward and Jacob. “There goes my little girl walking with that troublesome guy” Jacob/Renesmee or Bella/Edward from Edward’s pov but it makes more sense as Bella/Edward b/c I doubt Renesmee will even make more than one minute of an appearance for part I plus Charlie doesn’t like Edward. The chorus can be relevant for both for what it is or literally.

Mich

Posted at 10:18 AM on October 5, 2011

I really think it is about Jacob/Bella or Jacob/Nessie….

kadah

Posted at 8:03 PM on April 16, 2012

i think it is jacob/nessie in the song it says “i’ll never be your mothers favorite” i think it mean that even though bella loves jacob edward is her FAVORITE and “your daddy can’t even looke me in the eye” i think jacob is talking about how edward HATES jacob and lets be serios jacob is a troblesome guy

Woody

Posted at 9:16 PM on September 30, 2011

It’s all about Edward…..which is the way it should be. Bruno is brilliant, perfect for BD1. Dying to see this movie, hang on to the hanky for sure.

Nonny

Posted at 12:18 AM on September 30, 2011

Why can’t it be about both? Both Edward and Jacob deal with the threat of losing Bella in the book/film. I think it sounds like it could be about someone dying OR simply leaving.

I also think your reasons for it being about Jacob are taking it too literally, because the stuff about there “being no sunlight” is clearly metaphorical. I also don’t see how the part about the parents not liking the guy singing the lyrics could be metaphorical rather than literal.

Pebbles a.k.a Bubbles!

Posted at 9:25 AM on September 29, 2011

YUP, IT IS FOR JACOB!!!! LISTEN ALL THE WAY!!!! I agree with @nessie . Just watch part 1 and 2 and then after listen to Bruno Mars – IT WILL RAIN! This is one of the BEST BEAUTIFUL SONGS EVER. I can not stop listening to It Will rain. It is very beautiful song, It fits well for Twilight! I think it is perfect, Bruno is the most amazing singer EVER! <3 I will be buying 'It Will Rain'. It is already on the top chart. It Will rain is num 8 on i tunes! CONGRATS BRUNO!!!!!!!

Go Follow Me at : Twitter.com/iLOVEuBrunoMars . I will follow back!

Team E&B

Posted at 1:11 PM on September 28, 2011

I think the song can be applied to Jake only if you’re TEAM J, because honestly! it’s all between E&B. Bella, because she knows how deeply she’s hurting Edward with her decision “Oh so keep in mind all the sacrifices I’m makin’ Will keep you by my side and keep you from walkin’ out the door”… “And pick up these broken pieces ’til I’m bleedin’ If that’ll make it right”, Obviously she knows that if she dies, he dies. They’re telling this to eachother: “Oh don’t you say goodbye”
From the trailer I think the issue between E&B’s disagreement will be more clearly shown than in the book, and I find that very interesting because Stephenie M. almost completely skipped that part, which for me is a big test for E&B’s love.

Bubbles a.k.a Pebbles.

Posted at 9:29 AM on September 29, 2011

Then i don’t really know for sure. @Woody answer, might be right.. YOU NEVER KNOW.. It could just be for B & E! The only way we know is that when we finds out for our self. I can’t wait, soon as Twilight breaking down comes out,I can’t wait…

Woody

Posted at 12:35 PM on September 28, 2011

All about Edward. Love this song, Bruno Mars is a genius!!!!!

Woody

Posted at 12:33 PM on September 28, 2011

All about Edward. Love this song, so Twilight, Bruno Mars genius.

nessie black mellark

Posted at 8:01 AM on September 28, 2011

Jacob!! All the way!!! LISTEN!!!!!

Dianny

Posted at 7:29 PM on September 27, 2011

I really Agree with this..when I first heard the song the first thing I thought about was JAcob..and it would so perfect for him..I really loved it even though its sad.!!

Sarah

Posted at 7:03 PM on September 27, 2011

i wrote it wrong in my first comment lol
and i think that the part where it is said there will be no sunlight doesnt mean actual sunlight, it symbolizes happiness and joy not sunlight

Sarah

Posted at 6:59 PM on September 27, 2011

Mostly people are saying this song is for Jacob
Im not saying this because im Team Edward but to me this song is seems to be about Edward’s felling for Bella
” Cause there’ll be no more sunlight
if I lose you, baby
There’ll be no clear skies
if I lose you, baby
Just like the clouds, I
I will do the same if you walk away
Everyday, it will rain” ( IF ) why would Jacob say if he doesnt have Bella like that
” I’ll never be your mother’s favorite
Your daddy can’t even look me in the eye
Oooh if I was in their shoes, I’d be doing the same thing
Sayin there goes my little girl
walkin’ with that troublesome guy” ( Bella’s parents dont approve of Edward ) Charlie approves of Jacob
but then the part
” I’ll do the same
goodbye, don’t just say, goodbye
I’ll pick up these broken pieces ’til I’m bleeding
That’ll make it right”
it seems like this is for Jacob like he has to say Good bye to Bella
hmmmmmm.. im confused
and i dont think that the part where it is said there will be no sunlight doesnt mean actual sunlight, it symbolizes happiness and joy not sunlight