'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena Gives Up On Damon — But Only Because She Loves Him!

Fri, September 23, 2011 10:43am EDT by 12 Comments
Courtesy of The CW (2)

Elena tells Damon she doesn’t want to see him get hurt! So which brother is she really giving up on?

While last week’s season premiere of The Vampire Diaries was basically an hour-long love letter to fans of Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Elena’s (Nina Dobrev) rocky romance, the Sept. 22 episode was definitely more of a treat for those fans pining for her connection with Damon (Ian Somerhalder). She may gave “given up” on Damon this week, but we all know that was really just a lead-in for their intense final bedroom scene.

This week, Elena’s search for Stefan led her — along with Alaric (Matt Davis) and Damon — to the Tennessee mountains, where they encountered everyone’s favorite preacher’s kid-turned-werewolf-turned-hybrid, Ray Sutton (David Gallagher)! Unfortunately, when Ray was turned by Klaus (Joseph Morgan) he also went a little cray-cray, so he wasn’t exactly a sight for sore eyes. After biting Stefan, he went after Damon, who was ultimately saved by his little brother when he ripped Ray’s heart out — Mason-style.

Now, back to that whole “giving up” on Damon thing: When Elena first learned of Stefan’s whereabouts, Alaric tried to deter her from putting herself in harm’s way. But as Elena said, Stefan wouldn’t give up on her, so she had to save him. Now let’s fast forward to Ray’s attack on Damon: When Alaric told Elena it was too dangerous to stay on the mountain, she hesitated for a minute, but ultimately agreed and left Damon behind.

So did she totally give up on him?

Well, yes and no. Damon confronted Elena in her bedroom later that night — God, I love those scenes — and she said she only left the mountain because she didn’t want to see him get hurt. “I worry about you,” she told him. “Why do you even have to hear me say it?”

Those two — you just gotta love ‘em.

In other relationship news, Tyler (Michael Trevino) came clean to his crazy mom about being a werewolf after she told him he couldn’t date Caroline (Candice Accola), because she was a “monster.” And while I’m surprised she had absolutely no idea about his furrier side, I suppose moms have the uncanny ability to overlook anything that would make their kid seem less than perfect.

Unfortunately for Tyler, his confession might not have been enough to save Caroline, who he also explained is “not a prostitute.” She’s still chained up in a basement, and about to be killed by a highly unlikely new foe — her dad, Bill (Jack Coleman, sans the horn-rimmed glasses)!

And how ’bout them ghosts? Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) told Matt (Zach Roerig) about Vicki’s (Kayla Ewell) plea for help, just as she visited him again and told him “I can come back.” But wait, Anna (Malese Jow) also came back and told Jeremy not to trust Vicki! So who should Jeremy trust — his dead vampire ex-girlfriend or his other dead vampire ex-girlfriend?

And where the heck is his live non-vampire girlfriend, Bonnie (Kat Graham)?

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for all things Vampire Diaries

Stefan fans forever!!!

Posted at 7:05 AM on May 17, 2012

SHE LOVE STEFAN,NOT DAMON!!I HOPE TVD SEASON 4 THERE WILL BE HAPPY ENDING FOR ELENA&STEFAN,I JUZ LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!= )

annie

Posted at 11:42 AM on May 15, 2012

Rlena don`t love Damon, she just care about him!She love Stefan!

Sandra

Posted at 2:03 AM on May 13, 2012

When will Stefen free from worrier?

lyrablack

Posted at 2:19 PM on March 3, 2012

i love all characters but i have to say my fave is Damon Salavtore hes hot,caring,sexy,his eye thing,hair,blue eyes i mean wow just wow i totally wish i wash Elena since Damon has been kissing up to her And WHERE IN THE FLIP IS KATHRINE WEVE SEEN ELENA ALOT NOT ALOT OF KATHRINE

Molly

Posted at 2:04 AM on September 24, 2011

I totally agree. I think Klaus knows about Elena…I mean, how could he not have heard her in the mountains…I kind of hope that Elena dies like in the books.

lyrablack

Posted at 2:14 PM on March 3, 2012

why would you Elena to die i mean i have volume one in the book by the way awsome and i did read the other book where elena died but why in the episode

shelly

Posted at 4:47 PM on September 23, 2011

Great episode love Caroline hope her dad comes to his senses. Klaus and Stefan are badass tough. Jeremy and Matty are a great team. Love Alaric. Yes everyone knows that Nina and Ian are dating. Now it looks like Nina is uping her game when scenes with Ian are together. Too bad I have to admit. Me and my friends loved when Damon was all tough and sexy. Now it just looks like were peeking into there real relationship. Little to creepy for us. Feels really uncomfortable for us to see them on screen together. BTW, not a shipper just how we feel.

JCM

Posted at 7:26 PM on September 23, 2011

Yeah you are a shipper! Sour grapes much? It’s a shame you can’t tell the difference between real life and reel life. Just enjoy the show. They’re not gonna break up for you or change the fact the show is about a love TRIANGLE.

shelly

Posted at 12:32 AM on September 24, 2011

Actually I’m really not. Toward the end of last season then after last weeks episode I was discussing it with 3 of my friends. I said it seems like Nina is really different with Ian and Paul. Like she’s really doing the whole attraction between her and Ian and making it hotter. Whereas with Paul she’s kind of distant, like she purposely doing it. Then I laughed. My one friend said well there dating now so maybe she’s purposely screwing up with Stefan (paul) so she can be with him(Ian) on the show. As for them breaking up, give your head a shake. Where in my comment did I say I wanted that? They made a nice couple at the emmy’s.

Emilie

Posted at 4:39 PM on September 23, 2011

When Klaus says i killed a vampire, i killed a werwolf and i killed the dobbelganger he looks like he understood it, that she is alive….. cause i think because Elena is alive the turning do not works…. and where are katherine??

CC

Posted at 4:15 PM on September 23, 2011

The final Damon/Elena scene made me breathless.

Mikayla Davis

Posted at 12:36 PM on September 23, 2011

I love vampire diaries and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Klaus he is hot HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. and i love he acsent