Kendra Wilkinson Thinks Parents Today Shelter Their Children Too Much! Do You Agree?

Fri, September 23, 2011 6:04pm EDT by 11 Comments

Kendra and Hank’s son Hank Jr. may only be 18 months old, but mommy Kendra is already teaching him the importance of being independent!

Former Playboy Bunny Kendra Wilkinson reveals a surprising parenting philosophy in her new book Being Kendra: Cribs, Cocktails, & Getting My Sexy Back. She thinks kids are more sheltered now than they used to be, and she will do everything in her power to teach baby Hank Jr. to be independent!

“I don’t know if it’s me or society, but it seems like parents are more protective of their kids than ever,” she writes. “Not me; I’m all about little Hank Jr. falling down and knowing what it is to hurt. I want him to be tough… He deserves to learn for himself what it’s like to fall or get a scratch.”

Kendra also admits that if Hank Jr. starts to cry, she doesn’t immediately run to his aid!

“We want him to gain a sense of independence and not always look to us for help,” she writes. “I don’t want him to think that we are always looking over his shoulder spying on him or that we’ll always be there when he falls.”

Kendra loves letting Hank Jr. “go off on his own and explore” and encourages her son to socialize by bringing him to a baby class every Thursday in a setting where he can interact with other babies.

What do you think, HollyMoms? Would you teach a child this young to be independent?

— Lauren Kalma

karen

Posted at 10:30 AM on December 19, 2011

Letting a child just cry w/o checking is cruel and he is to young to let him not be supervised. Kendra needs to be careful with homos, pedophiles and people in general wanting to be around her child (Sudansky)either shape up and be a lady or give the child to his father (i pray Hank will see the light)because Kendra is a stiffed necked selfish monster. She is to stupid to realize trouble don’t last always and Hank will realize he needs to walk for himself and his sons sake. He was doing well before he married you w/o baggage, now you stand by him or go back to the dogs life you came from, Hank is to good for you

alice

Posted at 11:03 PM on November 25, 2011

Please i am sure shes never ever has changed a diaper..of course she doesn’t run when the baby is crying the nanny does..f off kendra dont give any advice unless you live it

kayleigh

Posted at 1:49 PM on September 28, 2011

i completely agree with kendra i no bad nasty things happen to kids these days but its because parents are not watching there kids but i let my daughter go and play and run but she never leaves my eye sight and she also nos the rules and if she breaks them she has to stand by my side

B

Posted at 2:06 PM on September 26, 2011

Playboy bunny for parental advice? Ummm, she IS a mom AND wife now and a good one. Serafina, you are a closed minded person. Shows what kind of a person you are to judge what she says based on that. ANYWAYS, I agree with Kendra. You can’t always go running to your kids, unless you see that they really are in trouble. When my son falls, I tell him it’s okay and to get up. He gets up and continues playing. I have also noticed that when I, or anyone else, makes a big deal of him falling he starts to cry. Let kids learn by mistakes, but be close by to make sure they can help themselves.

Serafina

Posted at 9:01 PM on September 26, 2011

Hef is that u?

M

Posted at 1:23 PM on September 26, 2011

Some of you are complete nimrods, Kendra didn’t say she was letting him play with knives or run in the street. She said she was letting him learn to explore on his own and that yes he falls and they are letting him learn what life is all about.

I parent my children the same way. I’m there for love, support and guidance but I also let them learn all on their own.

christine

Posted at 8:03 AM on September 25, 2011

Nothing wrong with that, I’m 14 and that’s how i’ve been/am being raised. It taught me not to whine about every little thing and that getting hurt doesn’t equal the end of the world. On the other hand, my friend who was raised by very overprotective parents cries when she gets a small bruise or doesnt get her way.

kait

Posted at 12:52 PM on September 25, 2011

i’m 14 too, and i have been raised like you. i have one or two friends like that too.

lizzy

Posted at 9:28 PM on September 24, 2011

omfg i 100% agree with her!!! i know kids who are my son age (4) and they don’t know how to talk to other people cuz their so scared and have spend 4 year by their mom side every day. with out ever seeing other kids.
I have parents who dont let their kids learn things for them selfs. I am very lucky my son always like do everything on his own. if he fails at something i teach him it good and ok, that their is no shame in not being th ebest. and @ Kate read the book before you talk i read the book and she talks about socialing kids not letting them free. and who cares what she did before she had her kid. and btw u fing moron she not a playboy bunny learn our facts before you speak, your only making your self look even dumber then you are. i think Kendra pretty awesome i have watched all her shows

Serafina

Posted at 7:37 PM on September 24, 2011

R people really going to a playbunny for parental advice? Wow…just goes to show wat society has becum

Kate

Posted at 7:03 PM on September 23, 2011

NOT every parent is protective…but there are times when you need to put your foot down on where your child goes. Another reason as to why parents are becoming more protective of their kids…read the news Kendra..kids are being kidnapped,raped & murdered because parents don’t watch their kids. I rather be the parent that is overprotectived if it means knowing my child is safe & unharm.