Julie Bowen Wishes Her Kids Would Disappear Sometimes: 'I Love & Hate Them!'

Tue, September 20, 2011 3:10pm EDT by 9 Comments

The Emmy-winning actress admits she’s a lot like her ‘Modern Family’ character Claire Dunphy. She’s a neurotic, and temperamental, mom-of-three!

Julie Bowen, who just nabbed the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series on Sunday night (Sept. 18), admits that she’s not the most pleasant mother to be around. In fact, she wouldn’t mind if her three kids –Oliver, 4, and twins John and Gus, 2, with hubby Scott Phillips — disappeares! Can you relate or not at all?

“If I wasn’t a mom, I think it’d be harder to understand what it is to live with a child and hate and love them all at once,” the 41-year-old actress tells Us Weekly of her role as Claire Dunphy in Modern Family. “Claire does that with her kids, and I do that with mine.” What about you, HollyMoms? Do you love AND hate your children sometimes?

“I love them so much,” she adds. “There’s always this undercurrent of love, but there are moments when I really wouldn’t mind if a giant hook just pulled them off the stage of my life!” she laughs. “I think that’s how Claire feels. But if I wasn’t a parent, I think that dichotomy would confuse me.”

We totally get what she’s trying to say — parenthood is NOT easy, especially with three kids under four-years-old (two of them in their terrible twos)! But, can you relate or is Julie being too harsh?

More On Hollybaby:

1. ‘Modern Family’ Star Eric Stonestreet’s Proud That Kids With Same-Sex Parents Thank Him For Playing A Gay Father
  2. These Moms Rocked The Red Carpet At The SAG Awards! VOTE For Your Favorite!
  3. After 23 Years A Kidnapped Baby Is Reunited With Her Birth Mother! What A Happy Ending!

Courtney

Posted at 8:46 AM on September 21, 2011

Ms Bowen is an idiot for saying this she should count herself lucky to have 3 healthy beautiful boys if she had miscarried once or had one of them die of sudden infant death syndrome she wouldn’t have gotten the time to grieve for that like stars did in the old days. Robert Redford for example lost his oldest son Scott to Sids at age 6 months in November of 1959 and has never gotten over that in some form though his three younger kids are all adults nor has Joanne Woodward ever in some emotional part gotten over her miscariage during her honeymoon so much so that she’s never spoken about it publically until her book is out in 2012

Seriously?

Posted at 9:50 AM on September 21, 2011

Old fart.

Tee

Posted at 6:52 PM on September 21, 2011

@Courtney, what are you?- a celebrity encyclopaedia? Honestly! Alwayz giving examples of some old has-been celeb lyk some sort of dictionary. What do you do during your spare time-spy on them or read about their life from some secret all encompassing bio of all celebs? Puhleez! You could write more “worth-the-read” comments instead of some speech like some celeb defence attorney.

I know right?

Posted at 10:56 AM on September 23, 2011

Right? It annoys me so much. I see her posts on here all the time and it’s like getting a history lesson on old or dead celebs I don’t even know. lol

puckersbabe

Posted at 10:09 PM on September 20, 2011

I agree with you guys! Its one thing to want to pull your hair out because your twins are crying through the night, but they are babies. They do that. And you have to deal with it, it was your choice to have more children. Yes, I go crazy when my baby cant sleep through the night and wants to be fed every 2 hours, he’s 4 months old! I have to do to tend to HIS needs as HIS mother! But no matter how tired I am or how upset I get from the lack of sleep, I would NEVER wish him away! In fact, one of my best friends and I were pregnant at the same time, and when she was 5 months pregnant, she lost her daughter, the day before Valentines Day! It still pains me to this day that this had to happen to my friend. Julie is allowed to get upset, but damn, count your blessings that you didnt experience the loss of a child. Consider yourself lucky that you have the money to hire a nanny to help you or that you can have grandparents/family or anyone to take them for awhile, but don’t wish them away like that. Even if you felt that way, keep it to yourself.

nonninoo

Posted at 4:15 PM on September 20, 2011

She has to be a very selfish person and narcisstic (?) to boot! I think all moms have moments of dispair but I never in the lowest of low moments did I want my kids to go away much less use the word “hate” What a loser!

gini

Posted at 4:02 PM on September 20, 2011

What a horrible thing to say! Of course we all have our moments where our kids can get one our last nerve but never would I wish they just disappear. Think of all the parents who have lost their children…I’m sure they would be disgusted by her comments too.

gale

Posted at 3:46 PM on September 20, 2011

She ought to be water boarded…..disgusting thing to say – I would be happy to adopt them if she wants to get rid of them – they could read this someday for heaven’s sake…awful parenting!!!!!

ericasmom

Posted at 10:54 PM on September 20, 2011

She’s obviously joking. She’s in a comedy show about families, and she’s joking about her own. What, because we’re moms we can’t have a sense of humor? Taking the words of a comedian as if they were completely serious is SO silly.