'The Vampire Diaries' Season Premiere Recap: Damon Suffers A Loss & Stefan Blood-Drunk Dials Elena!

Thu, September 15, 2011 10:34pm EDT by 10 Comments

‘The Vampire Diaries’ season premiere went straight for the jugular. Did it successfully convert you over to Team Stefan?

Considering Stefan (Paul Wesley) is now in full-on Ripper mode, I was sure the third season of The Vampire Diaries would be all about Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Damon (Ian Somerhalder) giving into their sweet, nasty passions. But man, was I wrong! The Sept. 15 season premiere was loaded with enough Stefan-Elena moments to convert my Delena-shipping heart. Well… almost.

The episode began, as expected, with Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and his new bestie Stefan literally killing their way up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Apparently they don’t call Stefan “the Ripper” for nothing. He straight-up rips people’s body parts off, then feels guilty and tries to re-assemble them like they’re freakin’ Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas. It’s kind of hot.

Back in Mystic Falls, Caroline (Candice Accola) threw Elena a bitchin’ 18th birthday kegger to help get her mind off of her M.I.A. boyfriend. But sweet baby vamp Caroline had her own relationship drama to deal with, as her feelings for Tyler (Michael Trevino) were intensifying, and Matt (Zach Roerig) continued to pine for her from a distance.

Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) — who appears to have spent all summer at the gym — remained haunted by the ghosts of Anna (Malese Jow) and Vicki (Kayla Ewell), who we heard utter “help me” before a clueless Matt entered the frame and sat on her. But when Jeremy wasn’t playing Ghost Whisperer — move the eff over, Jennifer Love Hewitt – he was getting stoned with his new BFF. (And honestly, even if you’ve never smoked a joint once in your life, don’t tell me you wouldn’t love to light one up with Matt and Jeremy.)

While the Mystic Falls gang got its party on, Klaus and Stefan played a nasty game of darts with a werewolf named Ray Sutton (David Gallagher) so he would tell them the whereabouts of his pack. When he refused to comply, Klaus forced Ray to nom on his blood, then killed him, effectively turning him into — you guessed it — a hybrid! (Seriously, was anyone else totally disturbed watching Simon Camden bleeding and tied to a pool table? Happy have mercy on us all!)

Now here’s the part that really got to me: In an attempt to shake Damon off their backs, Klaus and Stefan returned to Mystic Falls and compelled ace reporter Andie Star (Dawn Olivieri) to jump off a high platform at the local news studio. Damon helplessly watched as his fake/compelled girlfriend lept to her untimely death. Honestly, I’m mostly pissed that she’s dead because now I won’t be able to pretend Damon talks to me through the TV. (He says “Andie,” but I hear “Andy.”)

While Damon broke some chairs in a fit of rage, a super-emotional Stefan decided to give Elena a call. But he couldn’t bring himself to talk to her, so he was forced to stand there while she poured her heart out to the silence. She cried, he cried, and you know what? I almost did, too. “Stelena” fans, this season is still yours — for now!

The episode ended, just as last season premiere’s did, with a tweet-worthy twist: When Caroline tried to sneak out of Chez Lockwood — apparently vampires are also familiar with the walk of shame — she was confronted by Tyler’s mom (Susan Walters), who shot her with tranquilizer darts! Possibly filled with vervain! Damn you Carol Lockwood and your beautiful blue eyes of death!

P.S. Where the heck was Bonnie (Kat Graham)?

OK, now YOU talk: What did you think of tonight’s big premiere? Was that heart-wrenching moment between Elena and Stefan enough to make you think they actually belong together?

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries

Josie

Posted at 12:24 AM on January 5, 2012

I love Delena but Stefan is growing on me! I love him when he’s a ripper, he used to be WAY to goody-two-shoes for my liking.

RockDiva

Posted at 12:37 PM on September 19, 2011

Sometimes I feel like TVD creators just want to force us to love Stelena, even though we can’t like it, we love Delena all the same.

Sabrina

Posted at 11:51 AM on September 19, 2011

Stelena <3<3 I cried like a baby when Stefan called Elena. The pain in his face!! They love each other so so much!! They belong togehter. Stelena all the way

grace

Posted at 11:36 AM on September 17, 2011

seriously,lets see s/e fans excuse for shoving in d/e fans faces how damon is impulsive and dangerous cuz he snapped jeremy’s neck and should never be forgiven but stefan was very calculating and cruel 4 what he did 2 andie which was no better and some could say even worse. damon stupidly and impulsively reacted 2 being emotionally rejected again and stefan intentionally acted on killing andie in front of damon. calculating intent vs impulsive reaction. let me hear again 1 brother is good and deserving and the other 1 isn’t. hypocrite much?

Jasmine

Posted at 3:31 AM on September 17, 2011

It was a sweet scene beetween Stefan and Elena but Damon wont even get a chance and how come if Damon does something Elena gets pissed and hates him and when Stefan kills shes like its ok I still love you and I know he has to because he saved his brother bút still

lyrablack

Posted at 2:31 PM on March 3, 2012

i know right elena damon did all this before he is who he is let him be elena elena also needs to stop getting angryat damon

Anna

Posted at 5:19 PM on September 16, 2011

Two words: Forwood sex.

mariane

Posted at 3:20 AM on September 16, 2011

Stelenaaaaa foreverrr :))))

Salma

Posted at 3:43 AM on September 16, 2011

Stelenaaaaaaaa <3 <3 <3
The call made me cry , it was amazzzzing !XD

elmo loves Andy

Posted at 10:57 PM on September 15, 2011

As per usual, elena and stefan have to steal the spotlight away from elena and damon who clearly belong together (ehem, ian and nina) I agree with everything you said here andy, especially the part about jeremy hitting the gym! Ow ow. I wish we would have learned more about the ghost situation though. “Help me” doesn’t help me at all. Glad the show is finally back!