'Teen Mom' Farrah Abraham Gives Up Baby Sophia & Moves To Florida! Did She Do The Right Thing?

Wed, September 14, 2011 5:15pm EDT by 274 Comments

On the Sept. 13 episode of ‘Teen Mom,’ Farrah contemplates whether or not to leave Sophia in Iowa with her mom Debra while she attends school in Florida. Well obviously, she made her decision!

So it turns out Teen Mom Farrah Abraham DID decide to leave 2-year-old Sophia in Iowa with her parents and jet off to Fort Lauderdale, Fl. ALONE to start a new life and ‘better herself’ for her daughter. But did she make the right choice? Farrah thinks YES!

Life & Style magazine reveals that Farrah, 20, has decided to turn Sophia over to the care of her mom, Debra Danielson, while she moves 1,600 miles away to attend school at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.

“Sophia is the No. 1 thing in my life,” Farrah says, defending her decision. “I’m just trying to be the best parent that I can. I take care of my responsibilities. I’m happy that I took the chance to move. I would never regret it.”

Although Farrah has been fighting with her parents, Debra and Michael, to take Sophia with her, it turns out the 20-year-old has realized that her family can offer Sophia a better and more stable life in Iowa while she gets her bachelor’s degree and works at saving money for their future.

“My mom is the best grandma,” Farrah says of Debra, who is now Sophia’s primary caregiver. “I want her to be there for Sophia when I need to take care of my responsibilites, my education, and earning an income for both of us.”

But making money isn’t all Farrah’s concerned about. The single mom, who lost Sophia’s dad Derek Underwood in a car accident in Dec. 2008, missed out on her teen years and is eager to live a little while on her own.

“I’ve been trying to grow personally and emotionally,” Farrah admits. “I’m very much taking time to get back to myself and enjoy my freedom.” Hmm, sounds a bit harsh right? It’s her baby we’re talking about here!

But Farrah insists she visits with Sophia whenever she can, even though it’s difficult to say goodbye. “It would be hard for any mother,” Farrah tells Life & Style. “When I do leave Sophia I call and I call. I text, I check in and I e-mail. I don’t want her to ever think Mommy’s not ever coming back.” But is it enough?

“I’m very close to her,” she adds. “She tells me she misses me and loves me. I’m tugged in many different ways daily — but I don’t want to limit myself for Sophia.”

Teen Mom fans, what do you think about Farrah’s decision to leave Sophia behind while she lives her life in Florida. Did she do the right thing? Weigh in!

Tune in for more from Farrah! Pick up the latest issue of Life & Style, on stands now.

–Leigh Blickley

More ‘Teen Mom:’

1. ‘Teen Mom’ Recap: Amber Heads To Court, Maci Fights With Ryan Over Custody & Farrah Gets Braces!
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Recap: Maci Has A Breakdown, Catelynn Tells Tyler It’s Over & Amber Gets Arrested For Abusing Gary!
  3. ‘’Teen Mom’ Farrah Abraham LOVES Her New Boobs — And Thanks To Them, She’s More Conceited Than Ever!

Tori

Posted at 3:01 PM on October 10, 2012

She didn’t do the right thing! Why do you pathetic hollywoodlifers support this ugly brat? Farrah will take this opportunity to leave Sophia behind and go do something else now that she already disappointed Debra, Sophia, and her stupid fans. She is a heartless spoiled brat who pretends that she’s getting a lot of support. SHE IS NOT! Farrah fans are so clueless because they need to realize that Farrah is a brat not a role model. She is ugly and dumb just like her fans. I’m eating popcorn right now ’cause Farrah fans are so funny because they’re clueless. LOLing a bit because Farrah totally failed at life not even holding up her own show. lol :P

sandra

Posted at 1:39 AM on September 2, 2012

She did the right thing giving the baby to her mom..there’s no excuse im younger then her getting my degree and going to culinary as well and still have my daughter with me…how is she trying to enjoy freedom when she chose to be a mother you have to care about your kids they always come first! That’s her decision tho!

savhanna

Posted at 2:48 AM on June 25, 2012

Someone who is not a mom has no idea what its like. You try and make decions that are right for your child and for your future. There will always be someone who dont agree with the decions you make no matter what. Until you are in their shoes you cant judge.

mike

Posted at 10:02 PM on June 13, 2012

The “Ai” chain is a bunch of scammers.by EDMC to draw gov $ out of poor/single moms.

Klawags

Posted at 6:57 PM on June 12, 2012

All these single/teen moms that are commenting just sound bitter and jealous that they didn’t get the opportunity that Farrah has. Lol.

You do what you have to to provide you children with a good life.

Kayla

Posted at 6:46 PM on June 12, 2012

Babysitters cost money that college students don’t have.

rambocat88

Posted at 3:37 PM on June 11, 2012

Shes going to the Art Institute of Ft Lauderdale Culinary school.Good school; but expensive. There are other good culinary schools around the country, but of course you won’t be photographed in your bikini like you will in Ft Lauderdale, I lived close to that school and its in a very high rent neighborhood with million dollar homes. If she wants to live the life style of that neighborhood, she’ll need a sugar daddy.

regal04

Posted at 3:43 PM on June 11, 2012

She’ll learn how to say “do you want fries with that shake”? Lets see how long she lasts in school.

Amanda

Posted at 2:57 PM on June 11, 2012

I think it was a good decision Going to collage to get her Bachelors degree will get her a better job and more money to give Sophia a better life in the future. I dont think its selfish at all. .

Dutch

Posted at 10:30 PM on June 30, 2012

Yeah, “collage: is good for you.

Rob

Posted at 7:09 PM on June 10, 2012

Farrah….what can I say. Talk about thinking of only herself, wow! It’s too bad her mom didn’t smack her a few more times when she was younger, maybe then Farrah wouldn’t be such a beeoch. Amber is the only one going where they all belong, prison!

rambocat88

Posted at 6:22 PM on June 10, 2012

Whats with all the new hairstyles on the teen moms? New color and extensions….very costly services at the salon. That money could be spent on diapers.

ehg!`

Posted at 4:40 PM on June 9, 2012

I think she did make a smart choice.. and right now im watching the old episodes..and i think she should be thankful to her mom after all the things she did.. and she always had freedom seens she was still going to clubs and dating, and only thought about herself, while her parents only trying to advice her of the responsibility that she has now.. i think that this time she made the right choice by giving sophia to her mom.! i really don’t like farrah at all from how she was on the show.. so good job finallly made a non selfish choice

Nesta

Posted at 3:06 AM on June 9, 2012

I am 50. She is a child. sophia needs stable home. She was always selfish the way she showed such disrespect to her mother. This is the first smart decision she made concerning her life. She will be a better parent. If people can not see that they are crazy. As Dr. Phil would say you have to take care of your health in order to make a good parent.

Brandie

Posted at 9:28 AM on May 19, 2012

I think it is wonderful that she has a family to support her while she betters her life with an education that will keep her from having to struggle so much down the line as a single mother. I do agree with other posts that she did not have to come to Florida to get that education but what ever the case may be I as a single parent of three kids who never had any family support would have loved to have had a break to focus on an education. Instead I have struggled for years and we have all suffered from it. My kids are 15, 13 and 5 and are very strong and amazing kids despite our struggles and I hope that if they were to be in this young womans situation…….they would be willing to let me take the child long enough to get their education and provide a much better life than what they had. Dont get me wrong…..my kids never had to be without a roof over their head or food in their belly but know that mommy has become very resourceful during my struggles. I wish this young the best and hope that she stays focused and gets back to her baby quickly.

Alyy

Posted at 11:32 PM on May 4, 2012

I graduated college on my own with two kids at age 23. So yes I had them young. Stupid but I would never be that selfish to leave my kids behind. I had no care in the world to go have “freedom” . I wanted them with me at all costs. I sacrificed so much. I would go days without eating when I was broke but made sure they had something to eat. Hard work and sacrafice payed off in the end. She is just one selfish B*%$h .

Kayla

Posted at 6:48 PM on June 12, 2012

What you just said proves that Sophia is better off with a caring grandmother rather than with her mother who would t be able to care for her in the way she deserves. If anything, that decision makes her self-LESS.

whoop

Posted at 12:07 PM on April 17, 2012

Wow. The title gives off a very different impression.
She doesn’t just hand her child over to anybody in an adoption; she is leaving her in the care of her mother.
Also, it also makes it sound like she did this to live it up in FL when in actuality, she is attending school there.
Good lord.
I agree with dramaqueen that she made the right choice. She is securing the happiness and future for herself and her child. I’m sure she will visit her child when possible. She IS being responsible. She could have just as easily tossed the child to a stranger or threw him/her in the garbage, sold for drugs, etc. which is just what the screwed up people in this world apparently do. There are awful things going on, so you pick your battles accordingly.
She is being responsible and still has the opportunity to attain her own dreams/goals which will set a good example for her child.

Storm

Posted at 3:15 PM on May 16, 2012

Almost every College has daycare, why didn’t she look into a school that offered this service. Seems to me she wanted to be out and about on her own!

Christy

Posted at 3:30 PM on April 5, 2012

There are babysitters all over Florida that would care for Sophia while she works and is in school. They would listen to her instead of being like Debra and do it her own way.

Rob

Posted at 7:15 PM on June 10, 2012

Sure there are people that would watch Sophia, but Farrah would have to pay them. Remember the episode where she complained she was losing the free daycare she got because of her ABUSIVE mother (yeah right!). I guess she forgets about when she has abused her mother and the disrespect she shows her parents. I hope the guy she marries deserves what he gets. In other words I hope he’s a real jerk so he gets paid back. A nice guy certainly doesn’t need a tramp like her.

Christy

Posted at 3:28 PM on April 5, 2012

I thought Farrah was going great til I read she left Sophia with her over bearing mom. Hope she enjoys her freedom. She is just like Maci and Amber. She puts herself first. Many teen moms work full time and go to school. They just do not put themselves above their children. Very disappointed that Farrah turned out so selfish. She had a chance to be something. No matter what she accomplishes now, it is not worth sacrficing her child, instaed of herself.

mrs

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 19, 2012

i think she is wrong on so many levels! if she wanted an education and to better her life why did she have a child in the first place? that child is going to be so confused as to why her mummy is not with her! i have a 7 month old baby girl and i could never ever do that to my daughter!! how a mother can just up and leave her kid, makes me sick. sophia needs stability in her life. she is going to grow up thinking that her mummy does not love her. SICK.

janeth

Posted at 6:50 AM on March 16, 2012

She is just dumb and selfish mom!!! I was her fan but not anymore i have two kids and am on my own i can do it all by myself…

miss

Posted at 6:05 PM on March 1, 2012

surely she could have taken her course somewhere closer than 1600 miles away?! The thought of being that far away from my baby would make me sick…I would need to be close in case she needed me.

Chelsey

Posted at 8:29 PM on February 29, 2012

Are people not reading the article? Where does it say she left her daughter with her mum to go and party in Florida? Lol she left her daughter with her mum so she can go and get an education and make something for herself, in the end it will all be for Sophia! It’s her decision she is old enough to make her own choices and nobody has the right to judge unless she had done something truly awful. It’s not like she has left her daughter in the company of a stranger and with no thought to it! It must have been a very hard decision for her, if I had a child I could not imagine being without them. But she has made her decision.

teen mom sim

Posted at 6:59 AM on February 29, 2012

All i can say is grow up and take control of yor responsibilities farrah. i was only 18 when i had my little boy and i cannot physically think about life without him…it makes me feel sick to my stomach!!

candy

Posted at 4:05 PM on February 26, 2012

I believe she did not do the right thing…!if you have kids theyre your responsibility! I my self a teen mom had my 2 boys at 17 and yes I’ve been with my boyfriend we even got married after 6 years of being together.you never saw me leaving my kids with anybody to go out partying or clubs.you could say oh i missed out in life but hey your kids are your life!I don’t regret anything,I see as the school thing in Florida and making money for the future blah, blah ,blah excuses,excuses.farahs using that as her time of freedom.its the truth.

dramaqueen

Posted at 12:12 PM on February 26, 2012

She did the right thing. It’s better for Sofia to have a steady person, if it’s her mom or grand mom doesn’t matter (for a wile). this is better to leave her with strangers if her mom has to go to school or want to do something for her self. Mother have to have time to do sometings by her self (mother of all ages) I’m 36 and mother of 2. sometimes I go to the movies with my friends or diner, to talk about things other than about babies. My husband stays home the kids. If I was a single mom, it would me difficult. You are not only a mother, you are a woman (with needs), a friend, a child, a sibling. So you have to take care of your self A happy mom, is a good mom.
But she has to get her child as soon as possible, no exuses and before she is a teen ager. Because it would be difficult to create a bound.

hayleyjayy

Posted at 10:04 PM on February 24, 2012

Its cool that she wants to fix her life, but she made the choice the whole 9 months of her pregnancy to keep her girl.. she waits until AFTER Sophia is old enough to know that’s her mom and she is comfortable with her mom already then leaves. If she was going to do this she should of done it right after she had her. Sophia already doesn’t have a dad, but now her moms left her && she isn’t in the picture anymore. She had sex and decided to keep her, she needs to take responsibility && not throw the baby in her parents hands..

Heather

Posted at 12:00 AM on August 29, 2012

I have seen the entire show and I have to say it’s kind of a toss up for me about how I feel about Farrah’s decision to pick up and leave Sophia.I put myself in her shoes or a while and realize that she is trying to make the vest decision for her and her child. You have to understand that the end result is that Farrah will have her degrees in both culinary arts and business management, which in our societies standards is a hard thing to obtain especially if your a teen mom. She is lucky that she has the support that she does from Michael and Debra even considering their past. Debra will always be her mom and will always be there for her. Ferrah sees that now. Another thing that really bothers me, because I was a teen mom, is when people just say, “her kid should be taken away.” that bothers me because IF you people saw the show you would know that Ferrah was their for her daughter as much as she could be with her. She had a rough start as a teen mom with being a teen mom and loosing her partner! She was just grieving and try to be a teen is all. Nothing wrong with that. I think if Ferrah needs to go away to finish her bachelors, after watching the show I think she deserves too. Sophia will be fine! Debra and Michael love her unconditionally and Ferrah will skype and call and come see her as often as she can. Sophias young and by the time Ferrah has her degree and running a successful restaurant, Sophia won’t remember anything that happened!