'True Blood' Season Finale Recap: Sookie Chooses (Wrongly) Between Eric & Bill And Half Of Bon Temps Gets Killed!

Mon, September 12, 2011 12:25am EDT by 29 Comments

Warning: Don’t read if you haven’t watched the season finale of ‘True Blood.’ Things are about to get… spoiler-y.

Five deaths, two disappointed vampires and one unsettling return added up to a seriously mind-blowing True Blood season finale. And while I predict a lot of fans have a bad taste in their mouth after the Sept. 11 episode, I loved every minute — and more importantly — every twist.

Let’s start with death number one: Jesus (Kevin Alejandro!) Still possessed by Marnie (Fiona Shaw), Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) knifed his brujo lover in order to absorb his freaky demonic powers. He then silver-chained Bill (Stephen Moyer) and Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) to a pyre, and while I won’t poo-poo the gratuitously shirtless eye candy, I’d rather our vamps not be on the brink of death for once.

Fortunately Sookie (Anna Paquin), Tara (Rutina Wesley) and Holly (Lauren Bowles) arrived to save the day! Taking advantage of Halloween’s natural magic, the trio busted out a spell to use their dead ancestors against Marnie. I never thought I’d see Sookie’s little Gran physically pull a human out of another human, but hey, anything goes on True Blood.

Once the madness died down — pun intended — it was time for Sookie to deal with what really matters in life: choosing between Bill and Eric! Using her head, for once, Sookie confessed that even though she loved both vampires, her best option was to let them both go and see what a single life has to offer her. (Personally, I think her best option would have been another threesome, but hey, I just want her to be happy.)

Meanwhile, far away from the chaos, Jason (Ryan Kwanten) and Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) had themselves a hot little Halloween. After coming clean to Hoyt (Jim Parrack), Jason was free to ravage Little Red Riding Hood to his heart’s content. After she left, Jason was visited by another familiar face — Steve Newlin! He’s back, and he’s a freakin’ vampire! (Sorry, did I say Jason was “far away from the chaos?” I guess I spoke too soon.)

Arlene (Carrie Preston) finally got her long-awaited visit from René this week, but it didn’t go quite as she expected. Instead of attacking her, or even mentioning one word about the baby they share together, he came to deliver a warning — about Terry (Todd Lowe)! He said he’s seen the ghosts of Terry’s past, and that she should run while she can. Hmm… Could this have anything to do with his old war buddy (Scott Foley) showing up in Bon Temps?

Nan Flanagan (Jessica Tuck) also met her untimely demise this week, surprisingly, at the hands of King Bill. She informed Bill and Eric that she quit her job and was planning to rebel against the Authority, joined by a faction of vampires who have been plotting a move for quite some time. But it was her calling them both “puppy dogs” for Sookie that drove them both over the edge. And as much as I loved Nan, I think Eric said it best while standing over her lifeless puddle. “What a bitch.”

Methinks we got a taste of what’s in store for season five — and I’m kind of terrified. Alcide (Joe Manganiello) was called to a parking garage, where he discovered someone had dug a huge hole in the ground. Why, you ask? Judging by the broken silver chain Alcide picked up, I’m going to go ahead and assume our buddy Russell Edgington (Denis O’Hare) is back. And he’s pissed. So hide your humans and hide your fairies! We’re all in for a whole lot of pain.

And then there was that last scene — the one every True Blood fan will be talking about until season five premieres next summer. Sookie came home to find a shotgun-wielding Debbie (Brit Morgan), who ended up blowing a hole in Tara’s head when she knocked Sookie out of the way. And despite the she-wolf’s plea for Sookie to spare her life, our little fairy grabbed that shotgun and finally blasted her in the face — another moment fans of the book have been patiently waiting for.

Now tell me what YOU thought of the big finale: Did Sookie make the right choice? Will Russell be back in full swing next season? And which death shocked you the most? We’re in for a long wait until next season, so let’s start talking!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more True Blood

Get Glamorous With Our Friends At Glamour.com

1. The Only 10 Styles You Need to Buy This Fall. Period
  2. 10 Beauty Tricks That Make Guys Melt
  3. Fall Fashion: the DOs and DON’Ts of Transitioning Your Wardrobe From Summer to Fall
  4. Your 10 Toughest Sex Questions—Answered by Guys!

Clayton

Posted at 2:49 PM on July 5, 2013

I know what all those healthy nut balls are out there saying,
” I think this reflects a change in how all people are viewed. So are you going to be hard but I have to take away the fats first. This may seem counterproductive at first, but it can also be life-threatening if left untreated. So the weight loss medicines or dieting 4 idiots reviews.

gabby

Posted at 8:12 PM on August 4, 2012

The scenes between Eric and Sookie were long awaited and she definitely made the wrong decision. Eric really loved her, whereas bill just lied his way into her heart for her blood. Eric and Sookie really need to get back together in season 5, screw bill!!

How To Earn Online

Posted at 10:07 AM on June 18, 2012

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue together with your web site in web explorer, may check this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a big section of other folks will leave out your excellent writing because of this problem.

Rich Woman Dating

Posted at 10:39 PM on June 15, 2012

I simply could not depart your site prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual information an individual provide on your visitors? Is gonna be again continuously in order to check up on new posts

Ross

Posted at 9:01 PM on June 3, 2012

I do not think it makes sense too have included Russell in the next season. After everything they went through in season 3 with him as the big bad it is kind of over and done. If anything I am annoyed they wouldn’t focus on a new enemy. Marnie was a trouble maker for sure but not a true enemy. It would be nice too see Pam evolve into something more than a vain hooker vamp in heels, she has no ties besides Eric.

I am tired of the vamp blood being a cure all. Why not have a character actually accomplish something awesome with out vampires or much in the way of injury. Sookies whole act is become a bore. Tara getting blasted was obvious from the moment she came back but very stupid of the writers. With so many shows out their that focus on white caucasians it doesn’t make sense too kill off the only other black character. Debbie should have died from the beginning. It was rather useless to focus on so many story lines when the witch event is in fact a world noticeable conflict. Sam and his story line was great specially with killing off the idiot Tommy. How ever it in no way made sense that things were so divided between the characters.

I detect writer malfunction beginning. I hope for the best in season 5, I do hope they include magic and witches from now on. I also believe they need to write in a peace law from the authority on Witches rights as too that of Vampires. Otherwise Holly is not long for this world and I found her to be just what the show needed. Magic also can not be a fix all just like vamp blood. Thats my rant!

kathy taylor

Posted at 11:22 PM on January 29, 2012

i don”t understand why they would kill tara she and sookie have been friends since childhood. to me that was the most shocking death at the end of season 4. and now lafayette here comes more along with russell. i cannot wait

EmilyRose

Posted at 5:30 PM on November 6, 2011

You said there were five deaths? I only counted 4? Nan, Tara, Jesus and Debbie? Am I mistaken?

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:35 PM on November 6, 2011

I counted Marnie :-/

Sassyy34

Posted at 10:17 PM on October 26, 2011

I’m just catching up on season 4 and I can’t believe they killed Tara. I definitely loved Tara’s fiery character although the lesbian Tara was sort of weird to me all of a sudden. I don’t like that Snookie ended up falling in love with Eric because it took away from the appealing love affair between her and Vampire Bill was enchanting and passionate. I love the show and can’t wait to see what unfolds in the 5th season but my favorite season is still the first one.

pve

Posted at 11:54 AM on November 6, 2011

I wonder what is so enchanting about a relationship that was founded on a lie, BIG lie. A relationship that is controlling,manipulative,possesive and just plain toxic from the beginning. Not to mention the sex scenes that were not sensual but just full of blood lust. Well, that would be okay if you like bloody beds and abusive relationships. Recap the previous seasons and your eyes will open.

joseph sunford

Posted at 9:20 AM on October 14, 2011

Finally in Kenya,its great!

hayley

Posted at 6:53 PM on October 10, 2011

carn’t wait for season 5 and please, please make a film of true blood, me and all my friends believe it would be a great success, love all the cast and will miss everyone that’s leaving, love hayley

Sandy

Posted at 8:22 PM on September 17, 2011

All I have to say was this was a very good season finale. I’m so glad Tara died because she’s ALWAYS gotten on mine and my mothers nerves, but knowing how True Blood is (unexpected to the max) she’ll be brought back to life!:( I can’t wait for season 5!(;

I hope Sookie hooks back up with Eric they were perfect together, Bill can be on the side or something. Lol it’s Erics turn to be in Sookies pants!

Kimberly B

Posted at 1:29 AM on September 15, 2011

I hate that Jesus got killed! and Sookie was dumb for letting Eric go. Just keep him on the side!LOL And poor Tara I hope Eric or Bill or both swoop in next season and save her! I love her character!

baowolf

Posted at 7:58 PM on September 14, 2011

Pam would not dig up Russell. That would be an insane thing to do even if she doesn’t like Sookie. Russell would kill Pam, Eric, Bill and Sookie hands down. Debbie maybe, i mean she was his pet wolf. All fingers do point at her. Then again who made Rev. Newlin? Who’s his sire? Hmm…inquiring mind wants to know. Tara getting her head blown off totally thru me by surprise but like everyone else said Bill or Eric will save Tara. Ooh i do have a question… If Marnie didn’t take the spell of Pam then will she still have to do those shots Dr. Ludwig gave her? I don’t think they cleared that up. I mean in the book when Marnie gets killed all the spells she casted got lifted. Just a thought. Lastly dumping Eric and Bill only leaves room for Quinn to swoop in!! Can’t to see who they casted for his role.

sondy4ever

Posted at 6:10 AM on September 14, 2011

hey everybody ,i’ve made a music video for true blood and i also have uploaded episode 12 in full hd my youtube channel is athina23s

OH AND FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER SINDY4EVER PLS

:))

kid

Posted at 1:40 AM on September 14, 2011

Marnie got to into erics mind and he dug up russell

redvalkyrie

Posted at 1:44 PM on September 12, 2011

There is no way I would ever believe that Pam would dig up Russell Edgington. I would believe that Debbie would, though. That makes sense. Debbie was loyal to Russell and was still hooked on V. Debbie was out for MURDER. And what better way to fuck Sookie up than release Russell back into the world? Pam might be pissed at Eric and jealous of Sookie, but she doesn’t want Eric dead….and, that is exactly what releasing Russell is: A death sentence for Eric and Bill. Doesn’t it make more sense that Debbie, who was part of the Nazi werepack, would release her true master so that she could revel in Sookie’s death….and the death of the two men that Sookie loves? I mean, Debbie lost her man…releasing Russell would ensure that Sookie loses her men too. Don’t be surprised if Russell is right behind Debbie when Season 5 premieres. I think that is how the show will open. Russell will be able to waltz right into Sookie’s since she no longer owns the place. I can’t wait for Season 5.

TVDIVA

Posted at 9:34 AM on September 12, 2011

I thought this was the best True Blood finale. But I thought the pacing was a bit off. I found myself looking at my watch 34 minutes into it and getting impatient. All the deaths were expected, so I was not surprised. We all knew Russell was coming back, so no surprise there. I was surprised to see the return of Steve Newlin as a vampire and to see Sookie finally grow up and kick her two vampire lovers to the curb. It looks like True Blood really cleaned house for Season 5. Bring it on.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:54 AM on September 12, 2011

Agreed! About halfway through, I looked at the time and wondered where the time went. They really did save the crazier s**t for later in the episode.

I watched the show with a group of non-spoiler readers and it was interesting to see them surprised by things I wasn’t (e.g. Russell being dug up.)

And yeah, cleaning house is a really good way of putting it. Getting back to their roots really wouldn’t be such a bad thing ;)

Saphire

Posted at 6:47 AM on September 12, 2011

PAM dug up Russell because shes pissed off at Eric & hates SOOKIE who Russell said before he was buried that her “blood is all her will be thinking about for the rest of eternity”…. So Russell will go after Sookie, Eric & Bill combined could possibly over power him together, And then Eric will kill Pam for digging him up.

Sookie’s fear is going to summon Eric AND Bill and they will save Tara with their blood.

“I heard you were crazy!”…”that parts still true”–Terry said, that means he knows hes still crazy.

I wouldn’t worry too much for Jason because according to TrueBlood Vampire law, that church dork can’t enter his house to do anything hurtful to him.

I’m sad they killed Jesus. He was such a good guy!

Sookie is now single, meaning eventually she’s gonna spread um for Alcide.

Saphire

Posted at 6:49 AM on September 12, 2011

oops typo: ***He not Her (in the Russell Edgington quote)

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:01 AM on September 12, 2011

Dear Saphire, why aren’t we best friends? Or at least TV-watching friends?

I’m thinking you’re right about Tara. I hoped Tara would die — she’s really annoying now — but I can totally picture season 5 starting with Bill and Eric running to Sookie. (Isn’t that how this season started?)

And that’s a genius idea about Pam digging up Russell’s body. I figured it was just the work of that anti-Authority vampire group Nan talked about before her tragic explosion. Maybe Pam is part of that group…?

I’m really not giving two s**ts about Arlene and Terry anymore. We waited all season for Rene to come back and it was kind of uneventful and disappointing.

Jesus was kind of a tool. I was happy to see Lafayette in a relationship, but I was never a big Jesus fan.

And YEAH Sookie’s gonna “spread ‘em” for Alcide! (Or maybe…… Quinn?)

alicia

Posted at 3:54 AM on September 12, 2011

who’s the fifth death? jesus, nan, tara and debbie……..

will

Posted at 4:23 AM on September 12, 2011

marnie if you count her

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:52 AM on September 12, 2011

Yeah, I figured I’d count Marnie. I know she technically died last week, but this was a little more final.

TBFan

Posted at 2:27 PM on September 13, 2011

I don’t count Marnie; she died last week. But you didn’t include the three “gay storm troopers” who escorted Nan to her demise and got their heads knocked off in the process. The episode’s technical body count is 7.

No mention of Sam’s predicament? That was a mean-looking werewolf…

treills

Posted at 7:21 AM on September 22, 2011

Werepanther! That’s what was hissing at Sam!!! They disappeared after Jason got away from them! But why at Sam’s?

dustofstars

Posted at 2:16 AM on September 12, 2011

No comments yet? How is the world this small?