Demi Lovato Stuns At The ALMA Awards — She Beats Selena Gomez To Take Home Top Honors!

Sun, September 11, 2011 2:13pm EST by 87 Comments

Jade

Posted at 10:48 PM on September 12, 2011

Ok Demi finally gets credit were credit is due. Demi is so talented! I don’t think any disney channel show can really show off someones true talent anyway. But I knew Demi could act when I saw her in the Greys Anatomy episode and she did amazing. I haven’t seen nothing like that from selena so far??
Selena can probably act but I haven’t seen anything from her to be like “omg this girl is a great actor”. We haven’t seen a lot from Demi really either but I’m glad Demi won it instead of Selena who wins everything and sometimes I don’t think she deserves it.

emily

Posted at 5:27 PM on September 12, 2011

As a Mum of three girls, I will only hope I raise my girls right and they do not see people the way of those on here do!
I’m not a fan of Selena Gomez/Justin Beiber. She looked desperate to grow up. I might have viewed her success for her talent if it wasn’t for all the ‘timing’ of the media hype surrounding these two. After all it’s still Hollywood. Demi’s had to fight her own demons and yes singing is certainly her talent. But I think she picked the wrong Jonas brother. But hey that’s life. Demi looks beautiful and elegant in an appropriate gown. You don’t need to show skin to be talent, your talent should speak for itself.

shocked

Posted at 3:58 PM on September 12, 2011

Wow, shocked by these comments. Have any of you even watched Demi on this Disney show? I am sorry to say that I have (my kids usually only have it on Disney, Nick, or Cartoon Network) and she is horrible as an actress. Selena Gomez has much better comedic timing. Agreed that Demi has 100 times better vocals then Selena, but as an actress – not so good. So I agree 100% that this was given mostly because of her present circumstances.

dumas1000

Posted at 2:39 PM on September 12, 2011

Selena has no range of emotion, by the way. She cannot emote facially, in terms of natural expressions in reaction to given situations, which is one thing, but she cannot emote verbally. Her intonation is absent of the proper emotion for which she is trying to convey. And she is not dynamic in how she occupies space. She is dormant in scenes that her character does not directly control. It’s like she is the same as a singer and as an actor. She’s flat. One inflection. Doesn’t go up. Doesn’t go down. She has a baseline and she never deviates from it. Hence, her character has no “life,” because she does not own the scene in terms of the way she occupies physical space, and her character has no “depth,” because she does convey emotion naturally and fluidly. Trust me. I have a college degree in film and that girl cannot act. Neither can Demi, who, to her credit, has recognized where her true talent lies.

dumas1000

Posted at 2:26 PM on September 12, 2011

People have to realize that Selena is only popular within a very narrow target demographic. This here is an adult award, not a kiddie award, and Selena isn’t likely to win very many, if any, adult awards. If we are talking Teen Choice, that’s obviously Selena’s wheelhouse. If we are talking out in the real world, amongst mature adults, there is a far greater appriciation for the recent work that Demi and Miley have done. Although neither Demi or Selena were particularly good on their shows. But this was a popularity contest in which more then just tweens voted. And that’s why Selena lost.

Hayley

Posted at 1:36 PM on September 12, 2011

Why is everyone so crazy about her? Sure she’s pretty but not drop dead gorgeous, there are girls way prettier than her with more talent but are undiscovered. To me (not a hater not a fan) she will just be known as Justin’s girlfriend and nothing more. She is a decently good actress but is overrated in that too. Other disney actresses are just as good but it’s always credit given to Selena when others deserve it too. I just hate it when people suck up to people with not nearly as much talent as the fame they are gettng coz it’s just sad and unfair. The only thing that makes her insanely famous as she is now is her reputation to date or hang out with the most famous people each time, Nick Jonas, becoming best freinds with Taylor Swift and mentioning her in every interview she does, Taylor Lautner, and now Justin Bieber at the height of his fame. Sure she is portrayed to be the perfect angel but judging by her famewhore reputation she is very manipulative, sweet but manipulative. I was a fan and went to her concert a few months ago but I cringed on the way home. Why? Coz of her weak messed up voice thus I stopped being a fan. I would much rather spend my money to get tickets to a concert of someone with talent rather than someone like Selena who is getting songs in the charts by dating Justin. She knew that her Disney show was ending and so she dated someone really famous so that more people started to know about her so she could be offered more acting roles. I’m sorry but, no infact I’m not sorry coz I have a right to an opinion, but I wouldn’t stay being a fan of someone who dates famous people to get more famous coz that person is just a fake! I’d rather be a fan of someone real and inspiration as Demi Lovato who rightfully deserves more than the fame Selena is getting coz she is obscenely talented, something which Selena very much lacks. Any haters on this are just pathetic Selenators who can’t accept true opinions. If anyone hates on this comment it won’t really matter cos everyones entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.

ugh

Posted at 2:12 PM on September 12, 2011

yeah,or your just a bieber fangirl.Selena is definitely a better actor than Demi who cant act at all

Yasmin

Posted at 10:14 AM on September 13, 2011

Agree,but don’t forget,everybody know Selena as ”Justin Biebers girlfirend” not as herself,Selena Gomez. She isn’t that popular,after 1 year,nobody know her name anymore,she will be ”Has-been”,but that isn’t so with Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus,they will be in the showbusiness for years!

lia

Posted at 7:45 AM on September 12, 2011

im not a fan of the disney stars but common guys selena acting and singing?????? SUCKS she cant do anything justsmooch with justin both sooo ugly get a room selena

yummy

Posted at 6:27 AM on September 12, 2011

Demi deserve to win because she is a competitor and she got a nice voice and she can act..i dont know who is selena gomez?but i know justin bieber…..good luck people…

ally

Posted at 6:19 AM on September 12, 2011

AMAZING she is looking more than stunning

love her

Paula

Posted at 4:34 AM on September 12, 2011

Fat? Oh gosh you’re very stupid!
She’s not fat ok? she only has curves and it looks very beautiful and sexy.
Her neck? She has a short neck?
Uuff…I have got the same neck,am I ugly right now?
Stop saying silly things and look at you before you criticize.

samy

Posted at 4:12 AM on September 12, 2011

@timmy selena can act demi won cause she tweet that all the time vote for me and selen didn’t ask her fans to vote for her the alma awards is nothing selena won Teen Choice Awards and disney used to buy her 30 thousand every episode and they used to buy demi only 12 thousand

samy

Posted at 4:04 AM on September 12, 2011

she has short neck she fat she is short i don’t hate her but she is not beautiful

timmy

Posted at 11:19 PM on September 11, 2011

Sorry selenators but selena cant even sing or act…i dont know what she can do but demi deserve to win…she is a good actress and a good singer…selena cant compare to miley and demi when it comes to talent…sorry but that’s the truth…..

someone

Posted at 12:51 AM on September 12, 2011

absolutely not.demi cant act at all,she only has a goofy and angry/insulted face expressions,thats it.sonny is a primitive role,selena can play a lot better and has a lot more and more complicated facial expressions.as for singing,demi is maybe a bit better.and miley cirus is an average actor,not too good either

timmy

Posted at 11:16 PM on September 11, 2011

Its time to open up your eyes selenators that selena gomez talent cant compare to miley and demi because she will always be behind them…sorry but that’s the truth..Demi got a killer voice while selena doesnt have a good voice..sorry selenators but that’s the truth….good luck!!!!

Connor

Posted at 10:15 PM on September 11, 2011

@Ana, shut up…have some respect you got damm B****, Demi has been through so much, she deserves everything she wins.

Ana

Posted at 8:53 PM on September 11, 2011

Selena should have won and
Sonny With A Chance sucks

ii

Posted at 8:47 PM on September 11, 2011

me annoys Demi Lovato .. according to the motto … I’m building shit … hid for a few months in rehab … come again, and all must love me.

Dani

Posted at 8:03 PM on September 11, 2011

Even if you don’t like Demi acting, this was fair. ALMA Awards, Do Something Awards and People’s Choice Awards aren’t rigged, unlike the KCAs and the TCAs (read what appears at the end of ceremony about producers choosing the winners).
Selena was nominated for 3 ALMA Awards, and lost the 3. Obviously, Selena fans didn’t vote enough. If you aren’t happy you should have voted.
PS: Demi looked GORGEOUS at the ALMA Awards. Both this dress and the red one that she wore at her performance are amazing and fit her body perfectly. Can’t wait for the performance. She always owns the stage with that voice of hers!! :)

Matt

Posted at 7:24 PM on September 11, 2011

She is REALLY sexy! LOL Selena is not sexy ;x

Sabryna

Posted at 7:23 PM on September 11, 2011

anyway’ I THINK DEMI DESERVES…..Congrats Girl!

thast right

Posted at 6:16 PM on September 11, 2011

we all know selena deserves the award! demi just won because of pitty & thats the truth!

cici

Posted at 6:34 PM on September 11, 2011

I agree !

ja

Posted at 5:32 PM on September 11, 2011

demi is better at singing. Selena is better at acting. I think she won the award because she actually was able to attend the ceremony to be honest.

aaahhh

Christina Aguilera, etc.

Isay

Posted at 5:23 PM on September 11, 2011

selena gomez is hotter

pmhpmh

Posted at 5:20 PM on September 11, 2011

i’m a fan of both of them, i love them both but demi is great at singing and selena not so much but demi cant really act and selena is awesome at acting and in her show it shows latina heritage. also sunny with a chance ended unexpectedly, wizards of waverly place followed through for every season it had. so now that demi won it the award looks like it was given to her out of pity. if this was a singing award then yes demi totally should have won no questions asked but it was an acting award so im sorry but demi should not have won that award.