I Blame Alex For Getting Meredith Fired On 'Grey's Anatomy', But I Can Forgive Him. Can You?

Wed, September 7, 2011 7:19pm EDT by 5 Comments

Alex Karev REALLY messed up tattling on Meredith Grey to Owen Hunt, and now he has to face the repercussions. Will you ever forgive him?

Like all huge jerks who are secretly sweet but like to cover it up with bad boy tendencies, Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) holds a special place in my heart. I’ve forgiven Alex for a lot of things, most notably not being there at all for Lexie Grey when she had a meltdown, but on the last Grey’s Anatomy season finale I began to wonder — did Alex go too far this time?

I’ve been looking at the season premiere pictures, and would like to give Cristina a pat on the back for shoving Alex up against the ambulance. It’s unclear exactly what is happening but I think it’s safe to assume she’s angry at him for telling on Meredith (after he caught her messing with the Alzheimers Trial) and subsequently getting her fired. I understand Cristina’s anger, I felt it too. How could Alex tell on Meredith, after everything she has done for him? She’s been the one person who has stuck by him and been empathetic to his tendency to screw things up. And, as Owen said in the finale, he just betrayed the most beloved resident in the program.

However, I’m torn. Especially seeing saddened Alex’s face as he leads a seemingly heartbroken Meredith through the hallway. She’s not pulling away from him, she’s still letting him be her friend which speaks volumes for her and could provide a much-needed example of forgiveness.

It’s hard not to feel a little bad for Alex too. He doesn’t think things through and he’s had it rough in life and in love, and now things will not be good for him at Seattle Grace.

Do you think you can forgive Alex for what he did?

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Heisenberg

Posted at 4:28 PM on January 8, 2014

NO, I don’t forgive him. Horrible despicable character. Hard to endure Dr Alex Karev screen time unless when he gets either punched, deservedly told off or shot. He gets worse as each season goes by. They should have got rid of Alex Karev by the end of season 6 during the shooting episodes, thank you very much.
If Meredith deserved her punishment for breaking the rules, then all of the other doctors who broke their rules throughout the seasons should have been fired as well: Preston Burke, Christina Yang, Derek Shepard and the Chief….

Absurdist

Posted at 6:27 PM on September 22, 2011

Seriously, I’m with Diane on this one. Meredith had the ethical lapse of all ethical lapses, no matter how she tries to justify it in her own mind, and I’m supposed to hate on Alex? I think not. For Alex to have been complicit in Meredith’s BS in any way would have been the greater sin, and I don’t care how many times Meredith has had his back in the past.

Now WHY the Alzheimer’s trial wasn’t a DOUBLE-blind study (where neither the patients NOR the researchers know who’s getting the placebo) is a bit of a mystery, but of course that means that there’s no room for Meredith interfering in things to set this up, is there?

deedqwqw

Posted at 9:01 PM on September 7, 2011

★good★

look love— w w w – jordan forworld – c o m

believe you will love it.

love good go.

Diane

Posted at 7:47 PM on September 7, 2011

I blame Meredith for getting herself fired. She’s the one that betrayed Derek, lied to him and ruined his medical trial and put the whole hospital at risk. Regardless of the reasons, the fact still remains that Alex told the truth. If Alex had lied and it led to Meredith getting fired and problems in her marriage then I would blame Alex and have to think about forgiving him but that isn’t the case here. Meredith betrayed Derek’s trust, tampered with his clinical trial, tarnished his reputation and committed a huge ethical breach. The other characters should be angry at Meredith for putting their careers and the hospital at risk by not following the rules (the hospital’s license for medical research and funding might be taken away for this). I think it’s stupid that Alex will be getting all the hate and Meredith is going to playing the victim and still being “universally liked.” In the real world a lot of people would be hating Meredith.

Niala Wesley

Posted at 4:55 AM on January 21, 2013

The reason is because ALL of the doctors at that hospital ignore the rules, break the law, and do what is personally right instead of what is legally or morally right. It’s how Greys Anatomy operates. Izzie making Denny sicker so he would get the heart. Christina taking over for Preston when he was having hand trouble. There are a lot of other examples and you see it in every season. All of them could’ve been fired or arrested for the choices they make and the things that they do. But they have each other’s backs.

And Meredith is the one that has never judged anyone no matter what they have done. She is the one that always understands why someone has to do something crazy. She is the one that can always look past things and just see a person in pain or someone that needs someone on their side. She’s the one that can cry at the execution of a murderer. It’s why she is the one that is universally liked. She’s not the nicest, she’s the one that sticks with you when you hit rock bottom. And in a group like theirs, that’s very important. They are criminals. They are self-involved. They don’t listen. They go on emotion and what they think is right. They’ve been warned about it and judged for it but it’s who they are. And it’s one of the things that makes GA such a great series. They screw up just enough to be entertaining but not enough to be unsympathetic or for it to be only cinematically believable.

I immediately forgave Alex since I love his character and know that it was an important moment for him. He spent his life taking care of the women around him and Meredith was the first woman to take care of him. I mean, she took him into her home and saw him as part of the family when others were ready to give up on him. She’s been like his sister. And he turned her in for petty reasons. He knew what she was doing was morally wrong, but that wasn’t why he told on her. It was because he didn’t want her to get promoted ahead of him. He decided to break the GA unofficial code out of jealousy of the one person that would always be there for him no matter what illegal or messed up thing he did.