Bethenny Frankel's Margaritas Pulled From Shelves — Find Out Why!

Fri, September 2, 2011 7:16pm EST by 10 Comments

Bethenny Frankel may have made herself a household name in reality television but her Skinnygirl Margarita is making headlines as downright toxic to consumers!

There’s no doubt celebrities love to make money off their super star status. Whether it be starting a clothing line, signing on to be the face of popular products or selling exclusive photo rights to big events in their lives, there’s always a way for them to make an extra buck. For reality television star, Bethenny Frankel, she started her own drink line! While all seemed to be going well for the Bethenny Ever After star, one of her most popular product carriers, Whole Foods has pulled the plug on stocking their shelves with her Skinnygirl Margarita!

While Whole Foods initially agreed to carry Bethenny’s drink in 16 of their stores, they had an abrupt change of heart after learning it did not meet the standard of quality they require products to have. Apparently, Bethenny’s maragarita contains the preservative sodium benzoate which can become carcinogenic if mixed with something like vitamin C.

For her part, Bethenny isn’t sweating this bump in the road. After selling her drink line for a reported $120 million, she isn’t apologizing for any preservatives found in her product.

“I’m not making wheatgrass here. If I could put an agave plant and some limes on a shelf I would. [The Skinnygirl Margarita] is as close to nature as possible, while still being a shelf-stable product,” she said. “[Whole Foods] represent an infinitesimal fraction of our business. We are, in fact, the fastest growing spirits brand in the US . . . We were bound to piss someone off, and everyone loves to try to tear down a success. This is a non-event.”

Although it is not known how much sodium benzoate is in the drink, Whole Foods is not taking any chances with her Skinnygirl Sangria. While it is carried in “a couple stores,” the health food store chain is running tests before making a decision to eliminate it from their shelves.

Nichola

Posted at 3:20 PM on March 14, 2012

Give the woman a break!!! Bethany I admire your work and how hard you work to achieve your results. I live in London UK and would love the opportunity to buy your products.. Please stock them over here:) I’m proud of you. You give me creativity and inspiration:) x

karen alessi

Posted at 7:11 PM on March 11, 2012

Quite surprising coming from a natural foods chef. Why don’t we all make your own skinny girl marg. With natural stuff, I am.

Cathy russo

Posted at 6:13 PM on November 20, 2011

First…. Correct the spelling in woudl…. I can’t wait to try your two new products. Local store will be stocking them soon. Hopefully in time for Christmas gifts.. Summit NJ

Waleed

Posted at 11:27 AM on September 6, 2011

Toxic? Just because of one preservative that’s in 90% of the foods at any normal grocery store, dear lord, you guys need to calm down, calling it toxic is downright libel

PBB

Posted at 12:49 PM on September 4, 2011

PLease people. Get a list of the things that are in your suppermarket that have this same sodium benzozate and ascorbic acid in them. Then check off the things that you eat or drink on a regular basis that are on the list. If you are going to freak out you might as well freak on eveything not just this one product.

Beth D.

Posted at 6:21 PM on September 23, 2011

I agree!! By all rights, they should be pulling ALL products off the shelf that contains this additiveand see what’s left. I’ll bet there would be a lot of bare grocery shelves throughout the country. My God, will the nonsense ever stop. My local liquor still carries and I will continue to purchase and drink it proudly.

Renda Barbieri

Posted at 5:17 PM on September 3, 2011

Bethanny, I am truly a fan of yours and love your reality show.. I was suprised to find out that your new skinny margarita has Sodium Benzoate as the preservative for shelf life in it. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago up at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota after ingesting years of sodium benzoate..not only that preservative I was also diagnosed with BHT (Butylated Hydroxytuele) which is found in vegetable oils, margarines, dry potato flakes, dehydrated flakes or shreds, chewing gum etc. I was 47 yrs old when I noticed my skin drying up and shedding from head to toe,I felt as if I was wanting to crawl out of my skin.. I itched & had blisters on my face that would last for months. No derm doctor could believe that I would be allergic to food..So, I took it upon myself to push forward after being desperate in the way I looked & felt and my inner self was trying to tell me something was wrong. After being tested for all Food allergies/preservatives in Des Moines, Iowa. To No Avail, I took it upon myself & called Mayo Clinic to be seen by the best. I spent 5 months up there and $20,000.00 out of pocket since United Health Care wouldnt even acknowledge Mayo Clinic in or out of my network. I did win my case with UHC, since Iowa has a clean claim bill of health act. I had to prove that 7 states & 7 hospitals in my network didnt even carry this pills of preservatives to be tested by. Ive had 2yrs of eliminating the 2 preservatives out of my diet, but still had burning, itching & blisters coming out, not as severe..Im know 51yrs old, and just started seeing my allergy & dermatology doctors back at Mayo. Iam their 1st patient ever diagnosed ingesting 2 preservatives, but now being retested since my body is burning again & blistering on my face..The minute food is swallowed I can tell within 15 to 30 minutes Im having a reaction..I would love to write a book on what I have learned & have been able to teach the Mayo Doctors as well as educate my friends. I am now being tested for BHA, p-hydroxanisole, plus TBHQ & Dimethylpolysiloxane (foaming agent in cooking oils & liquid butter). Please hang in there, but just read what Canola oil really is. Stick strictly to cooking with olive oils..I know & see how health conscious you are.. you will still rock the world.
Renda K. Barbieri-Snyder 515-240-0770 cell

Selina

Posted at 10:33 AM on September 3, 2011

OMG,My best friend–Cathy ,she just has announced her wedding with a millionaire man who is a celebrity !they met via[Meetrich.c0M]——-it is the largest and best club for celebrity and their admirers to chat online.You do not have to be rich or famous. ,but you can meet your true love,It’s worthy a try!

I HATE REALITY TV

Posted at 9:48 AM on September 3, 2011

I hope Bethenny SUES Hollywood life for insinuating that her signature product is TOXIC.

Its NOT TOXIC!

Sodium Benzoate is a well known widely used preservative. Its not TOXIC.

deedqtqt

Posted at 9:46 PM on September 2, 2011

★★◎Something unexpected surprise fashion

hello everyone,im wholesale supplier online
Believe you will love it.
very good shopping web.