Meet Jackie, The 10-Year-Old Girl Who Was Born A Boy Named Jack!

Thu, September 1, 2011 12:13pm EDT by 28 Comments

Jennifer and John had a baby boy named Jack, but as they explain, he was always ‘different.’ Now Jack is Jackie and lives openly as a little girl — and she has her parents’ full support.

Get ready to be brought to tears, HollyMoms. In a touching new story, we meet transgender 10-year-old Jackie, a girl who has already had to make some of the toughest decisions in her life. But thankfully, she has been blessed with parents who support her through it all.

In 2001, Jennifer and John welcomed a beautiful baby boy named Jack. But when Jack was around 18-months-old, it became apparent that he was different, dressing in tutus rather than superhero costumes and preferring to play with Barbies over Tonka trucks.

“As any other father, I was looking forward to raising a boy and doing all the things fathers and sons do,” John says. But those dreams quickly faded.

At first, Jennifer and John thought Jack was gay — he was being bullied and teased at school and having difficulty making friends. But, they soon realized that there was a deeper problem.

One week after turning 10, Jackie came home from school and told his mom through tears, “I’m a girl and I can’t do this any more.” And so, Jack became Jackie.

“When I look back I don’t feel like we ever truly had a son. We had a daughter that was unfortunately born in the wrong body,” Jennifer told ABC News correspondent Cynthia McFadden in the special Primetime Nightline’s (Extra)Ordinary Family that aired last night, Aug. 31.

At first Jennifer and John only allowed Jackie to dress as a girl at home, and would send her to school in boys clothes, but as of late, Jackie is living openly as a girl and is happier than ever.

But, not everyone is as accepting as her parents. “I can’t accept that a nine or 10-year-old can make decisions for herself that will be life lasting,” Jackie’s grandfather Richard tells ABC News.

Still, it’s Jackie’s life and she deserves to be happy.

“When you look in the mirror, what do you see?” McFadden asks Jackie. “A girl, that’s a person,” she responds.

How do you feel about this story, HollyMoms? Would you be as accepting as Jackie’s parents? Share your thoughts and watch the entire interview below.

–Leigh Blickley

Get More on HollyBaby:

1. Meet Storm — The World’s First Gender-Less Baby!
  2. ‘Pregnant Man’ Thomas Beatie Speaks Out About Shiloh: ‘Dressing Like A Boy Doesn’t Mean Shiloh’s Transgender!’
  3. Leigh Says: Did Chaz Bono Just Call Shiloh Jolie-Pitt Transgender?! OMG!

คีย์การ์ด

Posted at 1:41 PM on February 4, 2014

Link exchange is nothing else except it is just
placing the other person’s webpage link on your page
at appropriate place and other person will also do same in favor
of you.

Dustin

Posted at 7:43 PM on April 25, 2012

I would fully support my child no matter what. If I had a son who wanted to play with barbies I would buy them for him. Or if I had a daughter who wanted to wear boys clothes I would buy them for her. I believe a child should be who they are no matter what the world thinks. I was deprived of a childhood I would not do that to my own child. I am glad Jackie has 2 amazing parents and sister.

Lauren Cassady

Posted at 4:24 AM on October 24, 2011

May God Bless You Jackie<3

soshane

Posted at 2:52 AM on September 5, 2011

Do you really think that this girl would choose to go through all this tough moments with parents, grands and friends only because she wanted to dress like a girl but she was 100 percent boy inside? You are riddiculous.

Kimmy Tramell

Posted at 8:04 PM on September 4, 2011

That is just disgusting and ridiculous. Seriously – an 18 month that dresses themselves? I think not. The parents CHOSE to dress HIM in a freaking “tutu” – the baby didn’t decide that himself. They put the pressure on HIM to be female because they thought he was “different”. As a parent, I would be ashamed of myself for making that decision for my daughter and ruining her life. The grandfather is right – 10 is way too young to decide. Kids are just kids at that age – they don’t see it as “i’m different – i’m a girl that feels like a boy”.

Amber

Posted at 5:16 PM on September 4, 2011

i would spport my child

Enma Curiel Hurtado

Posted at 12:51 PM on September 4, 2011

It´s so wrong he´s more young. He need mature and know more about the life his parents are very wrong.

Terri

Posted at 12:09 PM on September 4, 2011

The parents of Jackie encouraged this. If my son ever asked to where a ‘girl’ costume it would be absolutely a no. If having an older sibling as a girl or a boy, you naturally want to share in the toys and experiences. However, this is no excuse to say they are ‘trans gender’. You are born what you are physically with parts as a girl or a boy. I agree some men have a femine way about them, like to cook, like to work in the garden and love to shop for clothes. It does not make them a ‘girl’ though. Nor does it make them gay.
The parents are the ones who ‘confused’ Jack/Jackie. This childs emotional problems may have been softened a bit now, but just wait until the future. Its absolutely disgusting!!!

ashley

Posted at 8:11 PM on September 3, 2011

if my daughter told me mom i am a boy or i want to be a boy i hate girly stuff or anything like that i would support her no matter what age she is i am going to support her and her decision i will love her no matter wat and anyone that has a problem with that or little jackie just dont need to be in there lives

Selina

Posted at 10:22 AM on September 3, 2011

I am a 30 years old ballet teacher,sexy and lonely,now I am seeking a nice man who can give me true love,so I got a username nanafoler432 on—Meetrich.C óM——-it’s the most effective site in the world to connect with, date and marry successful, beautiful people.Meanwhile,it’s worthy a try.The best part is that it’s completely free, unlike all the other paid dating sites.You do not have to be rich or famous!

Samantha

Posted at 12:07 AM on September 4, 2011

Are you on crack?

Stacey

Posted at 2:36 AM on September 3, 2011

If there was some medical issue with the genitalia then I would be understanding of the situation but otherwise I don’t think it is wise to just go along with such things. As others have stated he is still a child and not aware enough to reach such conclusions.

You don’t have to force the kid into being a man’s man type or force him to get involved in contact sports or anything. Why not show him that men come with a range of interests and so forth?

Furthermore, I don’t know what is with people disliking to make out any differences between genders or outlining a few gender roles with children indirectly. First I read that a couple is keeping their child’s gender a secret so the kid can choose how they want to be or something and then I find an article here saying a girl having to wear a bikini top rather than going topless like the boys is somehow bad for her body image and now this? Understanding that there is a biological difference between men and women shouldn’t be treated like some sort of heavy burden thrust onto children. It is a learning experience and the differences should be celebrated not ignored and detested.

Mary

Posted at 9:58 PM on September 2, 2011

But the thing is that Jack will alway be a boy. He was created to be one, and he was not ever suposed to be a girl. This is so wrong! What are his parents doing?

AdrianChristian.etsy.com

Posted at 4:54 AM on September 4, 2011

They are obviously God-less people.

Ella

Posted at 11:05 AM on September 2, 2011

Really? That’s just ridiculous. A 10-year-old BOY should not be allowed to make “important” and “life-changing” decisions like that. It’s really quite stupid and HE should not be wearing earrings and clothing meant for a girl! When he turns 18 and he is legal, then that is his decision. But if he’s being bullied so badly, his parents should have just homeschooled him. And I guarantee he’ll still get teased horribly about it all, since his parents made the HORRIBLE decision to, you know, PUT IT ON NATIONAL TELEVISION.

-Ella

Nicole

Posted at 9:20 AM on September 2, 2011

Boy or girl, a ten year old shouldnt be allowed to wear that much makeup. Unless it’s just for the interview, and then it’s the producers bad judgement call.

michelle

Posted at 3:05 AM on September 2, 2011

what might have happend is, since jackie has an older sister, maybe he looked up to her in an intence way, so much that he felt he was also a girl. in the end its about being happy tho…

Jesi

Posted at 8:40 PM on September 1, 2011

Everyone has a right to be who they truly are….this is a hard decision to come out and do this. Zhe is so brave and i clap for her. LIVE TRUE, Jackie

LittelMo

Posted at 6:31 PM on September 1, 2011

A child at 10 years of age has no damn business making a decision of when or where to cross the street let alone life-changing, gender-altering decisions.

Llama

Posted at 6:15 PM on September 1, 2011

This child is too young to be wearing makeup

Courtney

Posted at 4:52 PM on September 2, 2011

Totally agree…..10 yrs old is way too young for make-up…no matter what!!

ash

Posted at 5:08 PM on September 1, 2011

this is wrong…..parents need to be parents and discourage this kind of stuff HE is 10 and the parents can still do stuff about this, HE is not old enough to make these kind of decisions yet! what is this world coming to these days. jack is a boy, thats how he is born and how God wanted him to be

AdrianChristian.etsy.com

Posted at 5:05 AM on September 4, 2011

That’s right!

Kash

Posted at 4:36 PM on September 1, 2011

Jackie is blessed with such understanding parents. Not everyone is. Kids need their parents full support and often do not get it resulting in suicides. She is a beautiful person – All the best.

Jasmine

Posted at 4:26 PM on November 9, 2012

Oops, Jasmine here, I just noticed that I said it was easier to create a penis, than a vagina. It is the opposite, it was easier to create a vagina than a penis. Now the state of the art surgeons have great skills at creating a vagina. Costly though, and at my age, hard to justify with limited retirement funds.

Jasmine

Posted at 4:30 PM on November 9, 2012

One more observation for fun. Can you believe those lucky girls, changed from male babies to female babies at birth, want to be males. Are you crazy! You were blessed to be changed at birth to the superior gender, woman, and you want to get changed back to the gender challenged by centuries of greed and a need to dominate women, are you kidding. You can be an amazing woman and you want to become a boring man. It has to be mostly nature! Love to all, Jazzie

Jasmine

Posted at 4:42 PM on November 9, 2012

Typing too fast. It was easier years back to create vaginas than a penis. Hence the reason that they changed the male babies, to little girls. Current science is skilled at both.

Jessy

Posted at 6:53 PM on April 28, 2013

I would never support this. I would seek mental help for this. Transgender and homosexuality are not something you are born with. It is a choice that is made no matter what the age. Your BOY needs help. it could be hormonal.