'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Recap: Dr. Sullivan Is Found & 'A' Is Revealed… Sort Of?

Tue, August 30, 2011 9:45pm EDT by 28 Comments

Creepy dolls, mind-blowing time jumps, and plenty of backfat made for one killer ‘Pretty Little Liars’ finale!

There were more than a few questions on our plate Aug. 30 at the start of the Pretty Little Liars summer finale: Where is Dr. Sullivan? Who really killed Alison? And, of course, who the F is “A?” Believe it or not, we actually got some of those questions answered — a rare phenomena in Rosewood — and in typical Pretty Little Liars fashion, we were also presented with a whole lot more.

“A” got the party started by gifting the liars with three dolls, each one carrying a clue as to how the girls could keep Dr. Sullivan (Annabeth Gish) alive. Aria (Lucy Hale) was told to “get rid of Jackie,” Hanna (Ashley Benson) was told to “stop the wedding,” and Spencer (Troian Bellisario) was told to “keep Toby safe.”

Aria learned that Jackie (Paloma Guzman) plagiarized an important paper, one that could get her fired from Hollis — but using it against her turned out to be a bitch of a task. Literally. Jackie showed up at the Montgomery pad, threatening to tell everyone about Aria and Ezra’s (Ian Harding) relationship if she opened her mouth about the papers. (I wanted to punch her through the TV, but realized that probably wouldn’t be a smart move.)

As for Hanna, there was only one way she could think of to stop her dad’s wedding. She pulled Isobel aside in the middle of the ceremony and told the blushing bride all about how her mom and dad recently bumped uglies. Needless to say, the couple won’t be going on their honeymoon. But the wedding wasn’t a total bust: Not only did Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) look dapper as hell in his suit, but he also gave us the best line of the night: “[That dress] gives you backfat.” You got burned, Kate! Burned!

“A” eventually gave Emily (Shay Mitchell) a doll of her very own, and it led her straight to Dr. Sullivan’s car! Unfortunately it also led her to a closed barn, and you know what happens when you leave a car running in a closed area. Though it wasn’t clear whether or not she was still dreaming, Emily “woke up” next to Alison (Sasha Pieterse), who not only revealed that she knows who “A” is, but also delivered a jaw-dropping kiss! “You were always my favorite,” she told Emily. (Wait, did Emily cheat on Maya… with a ghost?)

When the liars finally reunited, they were led into the woods, where they believed Dr. Sullivan had been buried alive. As it turns out, it was a trap set by “A,” and the girls ended up at the police station — where they were all accused of murdering Alison with the very shovel “A” gave them to dig up Dr. Sullivan!

But the biggest surprises were yet to come. A private meeting between Garrett (Yani Gellman) and that blind bitch (Tammin Sursok) revealed THEY were the ones who conspired to kill Alison! And now that they’ve gotten the heat off of them, they’re about to come into quite a bit of money. Dirty, sexy money…

The final moments of the episode revealed that Dr. Sullivan is, in fact, alive. But she’s also being bribed by “A” … and we won’t know why until the second season of Pretty Little Liars resumes in January.

What did YOU think of tonight’s epic finale? Are the girls headed for prison next season? Are Garrett and Jenna really “A?” And how will Rosewood meet its handsome-ness quota if Ezra leaves town for good? Drop us a comment with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars

Vivien Gorner

Posted at 9:51 AM on July 22, 2014

they played the german national anthem at 27:03. just noticed… why are they doing that?

pretty little liars live episodes

Posted at 8:34 PM on June 5, 2012

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

jasemine

Posted at 3:48 PM on May 14, 2012

I love pretty little liars there my favorite I watch every show its scary

MEGGSAGE

Posted at 8:07 PM on January 4, 2012

does anyone know where i could get a belt like the one Aria is wearing in this episode? I’m wearing the same Betsey Johnson dress to my prom and the only thing missing is the belt…I’ve been researching for weeks and i cant find anything like it! can someone please help me out?? please and thank you(:

Betsy

Posted at 5:30 AM on October 21, 2012

from a shop

tori

Posted at 2:29 PM on December 24, 2011

so this is what i believe, and if you already came up with that, thats cool to but, i think after seeing the halloween episode that alison does have a twin. the reasonings are in the book they say that her sister courtney was sent to a mental hospital and then the episode opens with two twins playing with dolls and alison is suppossibly telling a scary story but ends it with the evil sister gets sent to mental hospital and then escaped. so i think she is talking about herself and in the scene in her bedroom if you look in the background behide her you see a picture frame with her brother her and an identical picture of her. showing she might have a twin. then she pulls out a box and when she opens it, it has a blonde doll in it and thats the doll the two twins were fighting over in the first scene. so there they might be going along with the book and might not.im not saying thats “a” im just thinking.

CalebFAN

Posted at 11:36 AM on December 10, 2011

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

seriously

Posted at 11:56 PM on September 1, 2011

It looked like toby’s mouth.

Mimi

Posted at 9:06 PM on August 31, 2011

I cant wait to see where the show goes!!! I’ve read the books and know what happens, but it seems the show is going in another direction. I want to see where they take this . .

OverIT

Posted at 2:57 PM on August 31, 2011

Whats so good about a show that keeps showing 4 girls’ lives being hurt? I’m totally over it. I thought this show would be better that this. So for 2 seasons we have had to watch these girls get tortured and who ever is up to it keeps getting away with it. I can’t bear another season of this. I’m done. I mean is this what the writers plan to keep doing? They plan to write season after season of 4 girls getting tortured and the person responsible keeps hurting them with no consequence to them. Well thats it for me and PLL. I can’t waste my time anymore with it. Its becoming too predictable. But to everyone else who likes the torture sessions, good luck!

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:35 PM on September 1, 2011

If you don’t enjoy watching these characters get tortured, then yeah, you should probably stop watching now. Something tells me they’ll be getting crap from “A” for as long as the show is on the air.

rachel

Posted at 12:44 PM on September 9, 2011

abusofucinglutlly !!!during the half and a seasons~~we have to follow the 4 girls who were tortured by A!!!they found a lot of secrets. however, those just a beginning of another mysteries !!!

Amarantha

Posted at 12:04 PM on August 31, 2011

omg i’m gonna watch that episode again. that was.. wow.

BUTTERCUP1000

Posted at 11:15 AM on August 31, 2011

It was a manican or something no one was buried alive

HL

Posted at 12:28 PM on August 31, 2011

Yeah, it was creepy. Just a weird mask and a pair of boots :-/

But hey, better than Dr. Sullivan!

BUTTERCUP1000

Posted at 11:14 AM on August 31, 2011

Also in the book it said that Spencer,Jason, and Alison are brother and sister. Because in the show last night Jason told Mr.Hastings “I should be here for my sister” or something like that.And Mr.Hastings told Jason he watched him grow up and saw wht he went through so I think that`s how their go in the show. I think “a” is Garret and Jenna, mastermind being Jenna because she has Garret whipped.

HL

Posted at 12:29 PM on August 31, 2011

If Jason and Spencer turned out to be related, that would blow my mind! He was the perfect casting choice to play Alison’s brother. He and Sasha Pieterse totally look related.

emma

Posted at 11:00 AM on August 31, 2011

I’m so confused! Who was buried in the ground if Dr. Sullivan is alive? I thought it was Maya because they made a point to have Hanna comment on her boots, but after reading a few recaps, I think I was wrong. Any ideas?

leena

Posted at 2:22 AM on August 31, 2011

alison has a twin sister who is crazy and that might be who is a or it might be the reason emily saw her this is really weird but i am just following the book and in the book it said that alison sister was a crazy person and she killed alison and it also said a is mona but i think someone is helping if it is mona

HL

Posted at 8:34 AM on August 31, 2011

You’re right about Alison’s sister in the book BUT I believe they aren’t doing the same thing with the show.

(Though last night was super confusing. Was that really Alison? Or her sister? Or was Emily dreaming?)

VS ANGEL

Posted at 1:40 AM on August 31, 2011

and also, do you guys think that garrett gave jenna the real page 5 because shes blind so she wont know anddddd we didnt see it… :/ so manyy details. I LOVE IT :D

HL

Posted at 8:35 AM on August 31, 2011

oh, good call! yeah, i wouldn’t be surprised to find out garrett has been keeping a few secrets from jenna. he seems shady like that.

VS ANGEL

Posted at 1:38 AM on August 31, 2011

wait does the article mean when it says that garrett and jenna are gonna get money…?

HL

Posted at 8:35 AM on August 31, 2011

Jenna mentioned getting into Alison’s storage unit, and that Garrett would be able to quit his job once they did. I sort of put 2 and 2 together and decided there’s money involved.

alicia

Posted at 12:21 AM on August 31, 2011

january? we have to wait until JANUARY?

*shoulder slump*

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:42 AM on August 31, 2011

Well, we do get the Halloween special on Oct. 19, which is going to be RIDICULOUS :)

Then the 2nd half of season 2 starts up in January.

Andreiita (:

Posted at 9:52 PM on August 30, 2011

OHH! I love pretty little liars (:
TOBY AND SPENCER ♥♥

HL

Posted at 8:36 AM on August 31, 2011

Me too! (“I’m not your boy!”)