Chad Michael Murray Officially Returning To 'One Tree Hill' Next Season — Without Hilarie Burton :(

Mon, August 29, 2011 2:48pm EDT by 16 Comments

Are you excited to see Lucas back in Tree Hill, sans Peyton? I’m clearly not, hence my second-ever emoticon in a headline.

One Tree Hill fans finally got their wish granted! Well, half of their wish, anyway. Our sister site, TVLine, revealed today that Chad Michael Murray will reprise his role as Lucas Eugene Scott on the show’s ninth, and final, season. But there’s a catch; he’ll be making the trek alone! Hilarie Burton was reportedly not asked to join him. Join me as I throw a friggin’ fit!

Seriously, getting Lucas without Peyton is like getting peanut butter without jelly. It’s tasty and satisfying, but it lacks that ever-important sweetness. … Did that make sense? This mix of mind-blowing news and post-hurricane hysteria has rendered me generally brainless.

According to TVLine, Lucas will return to his hometown when Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) reaches out to him for help. And if my puzzle-piecing skills are as good as I think they are, it’s fair to assume she’ll call him when — spoiler alert — Nathan (James Lafferty) gets kidnapped!

It really sucks that Peyton won’t be back in Tree Hill, but hey, I guess someone’s gotta stay home with the baby will Lucas goes all Criminal Minds on his half-bro’s kidnapper.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more One Tree Hill

Jean

Posted at 1:35 AM on December 23, 2011

I think it is a huge mistake for the writers to not bring back both Lucas and Peyton for the final season. They made the show in my estimation. Why not give the viewers what they want! The good news is that we can follow Hilarie Burton on ‘White Collar.’ She does a great job as Sara Ellis!

Stanley thomas

Posted at 2:42 AM on November 10, 2011

I must confess from the dept of my heart. It terribly sucks that Lucas is returning without peyton. I mean , i know one tree hill is probably fiction but as a fan of this series, without those two. I don’t think there should be an end to one tree hill. They make me happy being together.

Clone

Posted at 9:22 PM on February 2, 2012

“probably fiction”???? Definitely fiction. You do know Harry Potter isn’t real as well don’t you? And Santa?

Kirstie

Posted at 9:18 PM on August 30, 2011

So any word on whether the baby (Sawyer) will be returning with Chad?

Fiona

Posted at 2:29 AM on August 30, 2011

OMG,My best friend–Cathy ,she just has announced her wedding with a millionaire man who is a celebrity !they met via[Meetrich.c0M]——-it is the largest and best club for celebrity and their admirers to chat online.You do not have to be rich or famous. ,but you can meet your true love,It’s worthy a try!

Brittany

Posted at 9:04 PM on August 29, 2011

I’m SOOO happy Peyton will not be back….. I can’t stand her….and Peyton and Lucas aren’t peanut butter and jelly. Lucas and Brooke were the best together. They would’ve been together if Chad didn’t cheat on her in real life.

mikaela

Posted at 10:39 AM on February 27, 2012

i agree ::lucas and brooke were very pretty together

Lilla

Posted at 7:37 PM on August 29, 2011

I stopped watching the show when lucas and peyton left. I really wish they would have brang them both back the show just wasnt the same with out them.

Megan

Posted at 8:21 PM on September 9, 2011

I also stopped watching the show after leyton left.. it was a dissapoinment and It was not the same.

Annie

Posted at 5:47 PM on August 29, 2011

I don’t like Lucas/Peyton but I do wish Peyton had come back so that the main five characters could end the show together. Then again, I would take Lucas over Peyton anyday. Yay to Lucas/Haley scenes AKA The Only Thing I Care About.

pari patel

Posted at 4:05 PM on August 29, 2011

lucas is the big bro!

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:12 PM on August 29, 2011

Is he? My bad. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the 1st season 0_0

sara

Posted at 3:51 PM on August 29, 2011

are you kidding me leyton were the worst couple ever thank god she won’t be back…

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:54 PM on August 29, 2011

Even if you don’t like them as a couple, that doesn’t change the fact that they are — or at least were — the main focus of the show for quite some time. Sad they won’t be coming back together :-/

JHuss

Posted at 2:59 PM on August 29, 2011

I am so sad that Payton will not be back…ugh i hope this news changes as fans show how much they would like her back!! Something for sure is that this season will be AMAZING!!!

Amy

Posted at 2:39 PM on May 24, 2012

I absolutely love One Tree Hill but in the final show I just kept waiting for Peyton and Lucas to come. But they never did. Yeah I love all the other characters so much but without Peyton and Lucas the show just isn;t what it used to be- amazing. I hated how it ended, it was a huge disappoint :(