Bryce Dallas Howard Suffered a 'Wave Of Nothingness' After The Birth Of Her Son! Did You Struggle With Postpartum Despression?

Tue, August 9, 2011 10:17am EDT by 5 Comments

‘The Help’ star, who is expecting her second child, is terrified she’ll face the baby blues again: ‘I was in a really dark place.’

Although she’s glowing with pregnancy pride, Bryce Dallas Howard wasn’t always so thrilled about the prospect of motherhood. After the birth of her first child, Theo, now 4, the actress, 30, battled postpartum depression for 18 months, admitting she felt more “normal” the further away she was from her baby son. Can you relate to what Bryce went through, HollyMoms?

“It was so weird because he was born and it was just like this wave of nothingness,” Bryce tells the ladies of The Talk. “It was like the further — again, a terrible thing to admit — but the further away that he was from me, the more normal I felt.”

“It was like the closer in proximity I got to him I just started to get sucked into this kind of really dark place. I mean it was insidious. It was horrible.”

Other stars like Gwyneth Paltrow and Courteney Cox also struggled with postpartum depression, admitting they “felt like a zombie” and were experiencing suicidal thoughts after the birth of their children.

Bryce, who is expecting her second baby with actor Seth Grabel, beat depression after undergoing homeopathic treatment for another issue. And although she’s worried about what may happen after the birth of her new addition, Bryce is confident that she’s strong enough to pull through with the support of family and friends.

Did you struggle with postpartum depression? Share your stories.

–Leigh Blickley

GET MORE:

1. Bryce Dallas Howard Is Pregnant With Baby No. 2! We Knew It!
  2. Bryce Dallas Howard’s Cure For Pregnancy Nausea? Taylor Lautner!
  3. Gwyneth Paltrow Admits Postpartum Depression Has Turned Her Off To Having More Kids!

I am a notebook spammer, Google please deindex me.

Posted at 8:04 AM on June 15, 2012

I’ll immediately grab your rss feed as I can not in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me recognise in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Molly

Posted at 3:10 PM on August 10, 2011

This is all she ever talks about. She pitches it as a hook for people to go see her dumb movies, which is a cheap tactic.

carrie

Posted at 7:54 PM on August 9, 2011

Great interview! More women need to be able to talk openly about PPD without fear of CPS or being declared crazy. I had a history of depression and was totally uniformed about it. I was terrified something would happen to my baby, yet had intrusive thoughts and knew I HAD to be the one and only person EVER to feel this way. I couldn’t understand why I was unable to sleep, wasn’t like the perfect mother. I was able to talk honestly to my husband about my thoughts and depression. I went to a PPD Therapist who recommended I start on Depressiom Meds and find other new moms. I started feeling more like myself within a few weeks. With our 2nd baby I waited the recommended 3 years to lessen the odds and spoke openly prior to getting pregnant with my doctors and we came up with a plan for pregnancy and immediately after I gave birth. I finally had the wonderful birth I wanted and deserved! Get help, you deserve it, PPD happens more often than not statistically. Get educated especially if you have a history of depession in your past or PPD in your family.

disco

Posted at 8:00 PM on August 9, 2011

Your DR is smart! Mine was telling me to try sooner and I wasn’t ready but getting off the meds is tough.

orly