James Lafferty Will Only Be On 'Multiple Episodes' Of 'One Tree Hill' Next Season! Is Nathan Being Killed Off?

Thu, August 4, 2011 3:35pm EDT by 108 Comments

This is purely speculation on my part, but hey, stranger things have happened in Tree Hill! (Crazy nanny in a cornfield, anyone?)

Though One Tree Hill‘s ninth, and final, season will feature the return of some old favorites — Dan Scott, Chris Keller, etc. — it was officially announced Aug. 4 at the Critics Television Association’s summer tour that Nathan (James Lafferty) will only be around for “multiple” episodes. How do YOU think they’ll explain his absence? Let the wild speculation begins!

While Nathan will most likely just be away on business a lot — he became a sports agent last season, remember? — I’d like to think it’s also possible that creator Mark Schwann has the kind of twist in store that only One Tree Hill can give us.

That’s right, kids, I’m talking about a good old-fashioned Uncle Keith/Quentin-style death that comes out of absolutely nowhere. While I’d be sad to see Nathan go, it certainly would give Bethany Joy Galeotti some solid material to work with — not that I’m not on the edge of my seat over the prospect of watching Haley run a café all season…

Plus, what better excuse to get Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) and Peyton (Hilarie Burton) back in Tree Hill than a funeral?

OK, the sanity police just arrived to take me away, so drop me a comment with YOUR thoughts on Nathan’s awkward absence next season. Where do you think he’ll disappear to?

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more One Tree Hill

Amber

Posted at 4:23 PM on March 14, 2012

At the beginning of the season when I read a oringal cast memeber would be killed off, I had thought Nathan because he had only came aboard part-time this season.. Over the last few weeks I still felt that way, but I just watch last weeks show last night and seen preview for tonights show..I know think Dan Scott will be the one to die.. He will die protecting the one thing he loves the most in life..Dan has always been Tree Hills vilian..But he has also always been the savior of the Scott family as well.. Said to see any of them died but I think that killing Dan off to save his son is the best way to show forgiveness to his whole family..

Hannah

Posted at 6:56 PM on March 7, 2012

Im also glad that it wasnt’t Nathan under the sheet. I just really hope that Natha isn’t the one to die because in my opinion his charcter kind of made the show what it is 2day and he would be leaving a wife and 2 kids and that would just be a very aweful ending to the show.

Cheyenne

Posted at 10:25 PM on February 29, 2012

Im so glad it wasnt nathan who was under the sheet

Brittny

Posted at 8:07 AM on March 1, 2012

Who is it?

drea

Posted at 10:25 AM on February 28, 2012

I think its the crooked cop under the sheet. Haley thinks hes helping find Nathan so if he was killed it would show her that Nathanael situation is bad and that would be devastating enough to make her cry the way she does.

Lolic0nz

Posted at 9:37 PM on February 27, 2012

i’d like to see someone post that he doesnt die after seeing haley cry after looking at that body. ofc what do i know i stopped watching when leyton left

Michelle

Posted at 5:15 PM on February 24, 2012

I dont think nathan will die because his contract says he will appear in the final episode

drea

Posted at 10:15 AM on February 28, 2012

Maybe his appearance in the last episode is his funeral.

Diana

Posted at 2:32 PM on February 24, 2012

as much as it hurts me to say it. I think Nathan might die. I mean how can that same police officer (that same guy was also played in season 6 when Nathan was getting called in at first when he was to find out he was going to play for the bob cats. Yeah idr which episode but he was that guy wearing red, anyways,) that police officer would call haley in if it’s not nathan scott? I don’t know, but the chin on that dead body looks just like nathan. I also read James is only going to be in half of the episode this season, and there’s 13 episode. hence… its already half next wedsday </3 I don't if he dies, i'm going to be very sad. I look up to Nathan and Haley a lot.

Cheyenne

Posted at 11:28 PM on February 23, 2012

I love this show i have watched all the series at least 3 times each…..i was very happy to hear that james lafferty (Nathan) Will be around on the series final i am very courious to see weather or not it is nathan at the morgue i think dan has a great lead on finding nath and is the body on the bed at the morgue….. what i was think is that nathan was kidnapped and threatened to be killed but how could he have been found when he was kidnapped usualy there not found i reall hope its not him

Brittany

Posted at 4:10 AM on February 23, 2012

I seriously have been so touched by this show. I enjoyed it a lot more before…season 4 and 3..etc but I still love this show so much and all the characters, it was always so real and the people were so good-hearted it made me want to be better. Haley will always be the best, but they don’t make her as good as she used to be. She would have the most honest, real talks with people she had the best advice ever on life lessons. I’m still so mad about Peyton and Lucas, I will never get over that!! ruined everything! I still watch it for the other people I love, but man that was a really bad move!

Brittany

Posted at 4:02 AM on February 23, 2012

OMG!! I can’t believe you just told us everything tiffany lol I came on this site looking for answers so I’m glad that nathan didn’t die because I would have been so mad if he did! But, now i wish I would have waited : ( Oh well, how do you know all this anyway?

tiffany

Posted at 2:09 AM on February 23, 2012

Speculation (we noticed)
Chris ends up helping dan try to find Nathan
Chad gets arrested for beating up chuck’s abusive dad
Haley realizes its Dan in the morgue
(must of died to save nathan)

ashley

Posted at 2:23 AM on February 23, 2012

chase?

Joyce

Posted at 1:44 PM on February 23, 2012

Yay!!! Made me nervous there for a bit!! Thanks for the info. How did you find out all of this?

Cheyenne

Posted at 11:33 PM on February 23, 2012

Thank u for the info i am glad to hear it is not nathan how did you find out tiffany please share your sources

ash

Posted at 1:17 PM on February 29, 2012

guys, are you stupid?`she said, at the beginnning SPECULATION we noticed! she was thinking! what you clearly dont. “how did you find out” bla. stupid kids.

oh i think chase is getting arrested because he wont go to the air force, bc of chucks dad. he wont leave chuck alone. and then, the cops come for him.

someone thought about Chris keller laying in the morque? he was with dan helping and killing someone?

Britt

Posted at 11:21 PM on February 29, 2012

*spoiler*
its not Dan in the morgue. hes in the entire episode. its not nathan, and its not the cop. i saw the episode. i really hope they dont kill nathan off. ive always loved this show, and was even able to get used to leyton being gone. these last few episodes seem to just be the same thing over and over. no new problems (except for xavier and chase, which seems to be jsut thrown in to keep the show exciting) and nothing is happening with Nathan, just constant death threats.

angela

Posted at 1:14 AM on February 23, 2012

I still hate em for letting Lucas any peyton go!!! and now Nathan only appeared multiple times this last season.

I stopped watching OTH esP when those new irrelevant characters appeared.. the story became lame, I still like the orig characters better.

Diana

Posted at 2:35 PM on February 24, 2012

i know it’s your opinion. But i love peyton and lucas as well. but all of those other character also worked hard and the story didn’t become lame. It got stronger in a way. I still love them all. But i agree, lucas and peyton should’ve stayed. /:

ash

Posted at 1:14 PM on February 29, 2012

i loved peyton, i really did, i thought she was the deepest character with the twisted life. loved the chearleeder rock chick thing. but really, its been years since their gone.years and as much as i love peyton, im an adult, i kept watching that show bc i really liked what they were doing.and i think letting peyton have her dream, dream baby and dream man was the best choice. would habe loved kept them there, but what would habe happend to them? maybe baby sawyer were sick, dead, they were divorced. if lucas and peyton stayed, they wouldnt be as happy as they are. and i for one, am glad that she got her happiness.

danielle

Posted at 12:14 AM on February 23, 2012

So I just finished watch the most recent episode and I am terrified that Nathan gets killed. Haley’s character has been through so much that the death of her husband will most likely be the last straw. It will def add a lot more drama to the show, but it will be so sad especially for the kids. (Sighs) I can’t wait till next Wednesday. I have been watching faithfully since season one…let’s soo what happens at the end shall we!

Wendy

Posted at 5:28 PM on February 23, 2012

If you look at the section above it states that James Lafferty will return for the season finale so it can’t be Nathan in the morgue. If I had to guess it would be that guy that came in looking to get drugs to sell while Nathan was being held hostage.

Vane

Posted at 9:19 PM on February 22, 2012

Although Nathan dying would give Hayley a lot to work with, if the cast signed for a final season there’s no reason to end the show with such a negative turn out considering the show has struggled to keep the fan count high after Peyton and Lucas left. Also, too many people are speculating that Dan will die in his honor. But has everyone forgotten that scene where Chris Keller is in the car with Dan holding a gun at night? Everyone thinks Dan will die, mark schwann knows this, so could the twist be that Chris dies??

Brittany

Posted at 9:10 PM on February 22, 2012

OK seriously I will be very sad if Nathan is the one to die! I think they are just trying to make it look that way tho! It would not be a good end to the show if one of the characters that had been there since day 1 dies! However, the suspense is driving me CRAZY! AHHH! lol

Jen

Posted at 1:45 AM on February 16, 2012

I think it’s gonna be Dan. It can’t be Nathan. I think I’ll be very angry if it is. I think it’s gonna be Dan cause it would ruin the end of the show if it was Nathan an it would e the one way to get his family to love him again. Also it was Hailey is crying at the beginning and checking out a body. I don’t think she’d be called to identify Clay or other people cause they’d have to contact other family members 1st.

Savvy

Posted at 9:58 PM on February 15, 2012

I think they are trying to make it look like Nathan dies, but it’s really going to be Dan. It’ll be sad, but it makes sense.

Cazerinsky

Posted at 9:04 PM on February 15, 2012

okkk i think dan is going to get killed. i think he is going to go look for nathan and one of them is going to have to die and hes gonna take the bullet instead of nathan….and hayley hast to go see whos under the sheet and its going to be dan but she is going to see that its dan bt knows that he didnt have nathan captured…..just a thought maybe??

Candice

Posted at 9:23 PM on February 15, 2012

Hey, I don’t think dan has anything to do with this even though he has been known to be a real jackass husband/brother and munipulated person and supposed father.He burnt his resturaunt to be with his family and I find it really weird that chuck sckolniks dad comes in this season, which is bad timing and was late seeing his son because he had something to do. Chase, I think he has a confrontation with him and for some reason, chris keller was with dan. lucas comes back to comfort haley because, well, they have always been really close. under the sheet, it could be dan. dan has always seemingly been close to nathan, you know? I believe he also loved lucas but, he was a kid who was following dreams but it didn’t work out, DRAMA!!! I cannot wait to see what happens. Remember the first episode, it showed bits and pieces(just pay attention to them as the episodes keep on coming).

Erin

Posted at 7:54 PM on February 15, 2012

Please don’t die, Nathan. I love you!

Karen

Posted at 12:00 AM on February 10, 2012

Clay is ill! And quinn is digging what a ridiculous claim that clay kills nathan they are best friends

Jodie

Posted at 11:55 PM on February 9, 2012

Also clay is obviously involved with the drug dealers. Goes to dan for help i dont now how chris gets invlved with it all. Chase gets arrested? Wonder what that is any idea’s? And julian uses a loan shark for the sound place cause he isnt getting enough business. The guys in cafe across the road are gonna be involved somehow and quinn just needs to keepp her nose out she is getting annoying. Brooke is gonna get her company back up and going (baker man) it is going to be a recurring character that dies.

Star

Posted at 9:05 PM on February 22, 2012

Yeah Clay is away getting help, he has nothing to do with it. As for Chase getting arrested, I bet it’s because he ignores his active duty call OR he confronts Chuck’s dad, maybe even both. Quinn is Haley’s sister, she’s family, she is doing the best she can.

Jodie

Posted at 11:46 PM on February 9, 2012

Dont worry nate will be back in episode 6 or 7 and will be alive its not him that dies! And dan also said when he was in the car im on the list! Sooo listen to that.

Athena

Posted at 6:43 PM on February 9, 2012

Remember when dan went and told the drug dealer to stay away from his family? I think he is taking revenge to the threat and has nathan.

Cazerinsky

Posted at 9:20 PM on February 8, 2012

alright who watched tonights episode? whats with hayley calling the cops? and did dan hear what she said? any thoughts?

hi

Posted at 6:44 PM on February 9, 2012

I dont think dan did it’

Stacy

Posted at 9:10 PM on February 8, 2012

I think that Haley will kill Dan in the end—after many years on the show she was always the quickest to condemn him and the quickest to forgive. She’ll get so fed up that Dan had Nathan kidnapped that she’ll finally off him (final episode of course) and that will be the end of one tree hill!