Taylor Armstrong's Husband Has An Abusive Past! Are YOU Surprised?

Tue, August 2, 2011 9:00pm EDT by 15 Comments
Getty Images
Getty Images

The Beverly Hills housewife recently split from her husband claiming he was abusive toward her! It turns out that Russell has a record of violence and has two restraining orders!

When Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star Taylor Armstrong first stepped forward to claim her husband Russell Armstrong was physically and verbally abusive, some critics were skeptical that the seemingly quiet man really hurt Taylor. Now his past has surfaced, and Radar online says that two of Russell’s exes also accused him of being violent and even filed restraining orders!

“Russell threw me to the ground and slapped me across the face….the police were called to Russell’s and my residence during our marriage because Russell hit me, blackened my eyes, kicked me in the back, threw crystal drinking glasses at me, and spit on me,” said Russell’s ex-wife Barbara Armstrong in official court documents, who claimed that he attacked her while she was pregnant with their son Aiden.

Russell pleaded guilty to battery charges and was ordered to attend anger management. Barbara and Russell split ways after Aiden was born, but seven years later Russell’s girlfriend Claudia Haro witnessed Russell slapping his son “very hard.” So Barbara issued a restraining order and restricted contact between Russell and Aiden.

Claudia also filed a restraining order against Russell after he attacked her because he thought she had slept with her ex-boyfriend. He hit her hard in the face and then broke her phone when she tried to call the police.

Taylor grew up in a family of domestic abuse, so it’s hard to imagine why she decided to marry a man with such a violent record. We’re just glad that she left the marriage and is protecting herself and her daughter Kennedy from that hostile environment.

The ladies of Beverly Hills don’t have the best of luck finding men. While Taylor is dealing with escaping her abusive husband, Camille Grammer‘s ex Kelsey Grammer is deciding to run for Mayor of New York. The other girls on the show made sure to throw in some jabs at Kelsey’s qualifications after his recent cheating scandal.

“He’s got to learn how to run a family first before he can run a city,” said Kyle Richards to People Magazine.

Tell us what you think! Are you surprised by Russell’s past?

Nicole Fukuoka

Get More Real Housewives!

1. ‘Real Housewives Of New Jersey’ Recap — Melissa Gorga and Teresa Giudice Reconcile!
  2. ‘RHONY’ Star Countess LuAnn de Lesseps’ Son Noel Owns His Own Skateboard Company!
  3. ‘RHOC’ Preview: Eating Disorders And Divorce! What You Didn’t See On Season Six!

Donna

Posted at 2:33 PM on March 26, 2012

Yes I am surprised and I don’t believe it. If all this abuse was going on why wasn’t it disclosed while he was alive and here to defend himself? I think she is taking advantage of the situation and looking for sympathy.

Teresa

Posted at 9:28 AM on January 12, 2012

Domestic abuse is very real and it comes from very nice,likeable people. Family members are targeted for all kinds of reasons that are in the subconscious of the abusers. Sometimes parents will act together in abusing one of their children while showing no abuse to the other children in the family. The abuse is never acknowledged the victim is blamed and told they are caused it, deserved it, or are making it up. This denial is deep seated in the entire family including the victim. The psychological pain last a life time, its always there, and its never acknowledged! That is why people find it so hard to believe if the victim speaks out. No one see the abuse, it is hidden and denied by the whole family, including the victim who believe its their own fault. When children are abused by their parents they somehow believe that they are suppose carry this pain for the family, its their role, in the family. If they don’t put up with it the family will break down. You can’t judge, you never know what really happens behind closed doors. I’m no fan of Taylor’s I don’t even like her. But, I believe her, and what ever her intentions were in her marriage she wanted to keep it together and was willing to take it. It probably didn’t happen very often and telling others helped her purge her emotions and oddly enough allow her to relieve the pain and continue the marriage. She was living her dream, which turned out to be a nightmare. Taylor was not a home grown Beverly Hills person she hung on!

Style

Posted at 2:23 AM on January 3, 2012

Yes, I am surprised about this husband being so abusive to Taylor. He appears to be very quiet, soft spoken. No signs on the show of any problems he faced. This is a very sad ending.

S.

Posted at 4:32 PM on December 28, 2011

For anyone saying you think she would have broke the cycle? Have you ever heard of abusers? They can SPOT people to abuse! They like to find someone they CAN and they HIGHLY manipulate and appear DIFFERENT until you fall in love!
I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN TRICKED! I have great discernment about others but when it comes to picking men for myself? It is hard to tell someones who to trust! Because abusers truly can appear like WHATEVER they want too! That is why no one..even their OWN family usually KNOWS they are abusers!
They usually are VERY charming and WELL LIKD IN THE COMMUNITY and by friends!
I know MY husband is and no one would believe the horrible things he has done to me, my animals etc!
Because he puts on a fake personality and TRIES to get others to like him.
So saying she chose this? NO! No one CHOOSES abuse.
Abusers do know how to find people. And sometimes even regular people can get abusive when they have anger issues or self control issues ETC.
She didn’t CHOOSE this. But when you get together and are married with kids and someone becomes physical and threatens you- And mentally abuses you.. It becomes a whole different story.
She didn’t pick to be abused! This isn’t her fault! It is russells! And any of you making negative comments about her should feel 110% SHAME AND GUILT! She was abused for years and now has to deal with losing her childs father.
Which is so twisted as it is probably a huge relief to her but incredibly sad to lose her husband- a man she loved at one time and her childrens father!
Just a difficult horrifying situation all around. Any of yous peaking negative deserve your tongue cut out. That is just disgraceful to speak ill of anyone who has been abused and also had someone in their life just committ suicide.

Shannon

Posted at 4:27 PM on December 28, 2011

No I am not.. as it was easy to see.. There was always tension and Taylor even was behaving as if she was scared of him especially during the limo after the white party when he was saying that was a lie.
I have been abused and it is not hard for someone who has been abused to spot someone who is in fear.
You HAVE to act nice and loving or that person will TEAR you apart in private either emotionally, physically or BOTH!
You have to walk on eggshells and “behave” around them and behave they way THEY want you too or you can and DO get punished!
Frankly abusers are the BEST manipulators.. I didn’t find Russell quiet- He was always quite ODD and you could tell he was quick to anger. Most abusers are MASTER manipulators which is how they get ahold of a spouse or bf/gf to abuse.. They manipulate.. They make you think they are your dream person..or they just find someoen with low self worth..or even someone who won’t leave if abused for various reasons.
They know how to find a person to abuse..and yes it is more often men who are the physical abusers and mental. Although women are becoming more that way nowadays.
but I am a woman and I have known many abusers and been with some!
They are frankly amazing at tricking you into being in love and after that..the ugly starts to come out!
And also if you ar ein a marriage and there is physical abuse..that is 1 million times worse.. You all can watch the movie “enough” to see how dangerous it can be…
Taylor always seemed in fear of him..and the ladies saying “well she stays” and how wishy washy she was?? Well that is because when you are with an abuser of COURSE you want to leave! But sometimes you can’t because you are in fear! So you just try and break down in front of friends and then you have to go put on your face again so your husband doesn’t abuse you again.
It IS what happens.
And if you watch their interactions it is easy to see. I have never been physically abused but I have had mental/emotional abuse HEAVY.And it does make you break down when you can’t get away. It gives you a nervous breakdown basically.
And mental abuse always occurs with physical..It is intimidation and control. ABUSE!
poor Taylor. I am glad she is safe…and I cannot say I feel bad for Russell. I have been abused and I have no respect for anyone who tries to control and make others cower in fear and tries to break them like a horse so they will stay with them because they have beaten them down so much inside.. You do begin to feel you want to die as you get so low inside from abuse.
I feel so bad for Taylor and her girls!

Smartypants

Posted at 6:58 PM on December 12, 2011

Not sure how many others noticed this, but in the first season, at the domestic violence charity poker event, that Russells head/face kind of “snapped”, he had an almost visible wince when Taylor was speaking and now…makes total and complete sense.

You’d think that she would have broken the cycle of abuse but innately, as if from her childhood she is attracted to abusive men, the story of how/when/where they met and came to be married.

cruz

Posted at 4:52 PM on August 30, 2011

Awesome Taylor, I hope your happy that airing your dirty laundry drove your husband to suicide.

Zurc

Posted at 9:38 PM on January 16, 2012

Cruz, you are an idiot.

Jimbo

Posted at 6:26 PM on August 18, 2011

I am glad he’s gone. He was such a drag on the show. Could not STAND his whimpering around all the time, let alone his resolve to “Be a butt” to Taylor. I would have dovorced him before I married him!

Sorry

Posted at 2:25 AM on January 3, 2012

What a very hateful thing to say about the deceased man.

baltoga

Posted at 10:06 AM on August 18, 2011

Thank goodness the abusive husband hung himself. Now Taylor is free!

Hollywood

Posted at 2:27 AM on January 3, 2012

People, please, do you really know what you are saying?
He doesn’t deserve this from some here on this site.

I must say, the immature audience must frequent this site otherwise a mature adult would not speak this way.

Wes

Posted at 2:53 PM on August 16, 2011

Why don’t you get all the facts before you through Russel under the bus. She has some skeletons in her closet too.

Jenny

Posted at 9:16 PM on August 17, 2011

Ummm, you mean THROW right?

Insight

Posted at 12:48 AM on August 3, 2011

Q : What’s thevbestvthing about being single & 40?
A : You can smell a bastard coming from a mile away!
This guy is dangerous, typical abusive control freak. I don’t understand how people didn’t see this from the min he appeared on screen. Their interaction says it all. As for Taylor, it’s common that when u come from an abusive past you are more likely than not to be drawn to partners that replicate what you are used to. It’s a deep need to fix what was wrong, by doing it all over again. It’s also a level of acceptance of inappropriate behavior, you become immune to things thatbother people would RUN from. I wish you all the best Taylor consider this a lucky escape. You will be even luckier if you remember this & never repeat it, especially for the sake of your daughter. You don’t want to start her on the same cycle of impossible roller later of love hate relationships.