Selma Blair Is Reportedly THREE WEEKS Overdue! Experts Tells Us This Isn't Good!

Mon, July 25, 2011 3:59pm EDT by 10 Comments

That bump’s past blossoming…it’s GIANT! And experts say she could be induced right away if she really is 21 days past her due date.

We’ve been saying Selma Blair is “about to burst” for weeks — even months — now, but still, the Cruel Intentions star, 39, flaunts fabulous maternity frocks and high heels on a daily basis. Not to mention her baby bump is so huge, we don’t even know why or how she’s still standing! How healthy could this be?

“To truly be three weeks overdue is a bit concerning,” Dr. Melody T. McCloud, obstetrician-gynecologist and author of Living Well, Despite Catchin’ Hell: The Woman’s Guide to Health, Sex and Happiness tells HollyBaby.com. “There is concern about decreased amounts of amniotic fluid, which could cause cord compression.”

“Also risk of the baby having fetal distress which results in he/she passing stool (called meconium) which could get into the baby’s lungs and cause fetal distress, poor oxygenation, even death of the fetus,” Dr. McCloud adds.

“If she is truly three weeks overdue, I’d think induction of labor would soon be in order. Just as it’s not good to deliver a child too early, the longer a pregnancy last after forty or forty-two weeks, the more risk of intrauterine fetal demise and complications, including aspiration of meconium for the infant.”

And obstetrician Dr. Tara Solomon agrees. “OB GYNs usually only go 10 days post term delivery because of the risk of low fluid, and umbilical cord compression,” she explains. “No Hollywood doctor would take that risk.”

Selma, who was reportedly due to give birth on July 4, is expecting her first baby with boyfriend Jason Bleick.

So is she really overdue? Or just carrying really big late in term?

–Leigh Blickley

More Selma on HollyBaby:

1. Hot New Pregnancy Trend: Prenatal Yoga! January Jones & More Are Doing It!
  2. Selma Blair & Tori Spelling BUMP OFF In Blue!
  3. Pregnant Selma Blair Has A Whole Month To Go, But She Looks Ready To Burst!

Athena

Posted at 11:17 PM on August 7, 2011

I think inducing and ultrasounds are damaging to the baby and mom…water births like Gisele had with a doula/midwife is the way to go

Elle

Posted at 4:59 PM on July 30, 2011

Aside from meconium aspiration and lack of fluid, the placenta starts to age after 40-42 weeks and stops doing what it’s supposed to do. It stops working, it stops transferring blood, oxygen and nutrients back and forth and starts calcifying. Even though I have repeat c-sections for my babies, and am against induction for most reasons, I would never allow any pregnancy of mine to go that far past due. It’s risky and not healthy.

Zelda

Posted at 4:57 PM on July 26, 2011

So glad in this c-section happy world some moms prefer to be more natural. I think she is a great example of what an expectant mother should be. Victoria Beckham, who is obviously TOO POSH to push, had FOUR sections. How horrible is that??

Mari

Posted at 11:32 AM on July 26, 2011

So what if she is 43 weeks? Lots of women have gone that long. How do we know she is not going to get baby checked on every 2 days? If there would be any problems I am sure she would get induced! It’s not up to anybody in the world to judge and say what she should do. We don’t know her medical history!!! Obviously she has a care provider. She is not stupid!!!

Zahria

Posted at 2:46 AM on July 26, 2011

I was born 25 days after my due date and came out perfectly healthy. I actually wish my mother hadn’t induced and just let me come out in my own time. Obviously she should definitely be monitored by her doctor, but if nothing is wrong with the baby then I don’t see anything wrong with not inducing

Tee

Posted at 9:52 AM on July 26, 2011

Whoa! She really about to pop! Even the dress can’t go round that belly. That is one big baby she’s got there. As long as the baby is healthy and she doesn’t find carrying it for so long inconveniencing, I think she can keep going. But she really is big!

Melissa

Posted at 11:03 PM on July 25, 2011

Props to Selma Blair for actually having patience and waiting for the child to come on it’s own. In an induction and c-section happy society, that’s a rarity.

jab

Posted at 6:30 PM on July 25, 2011

selma blair has never been photographed so much in her entire never should of happened career

Lily

Posted at 5:00 PM on July 25, 2011

my pregnancy lasted 43 weeks and my son came out healthy, hubby and chubby!Shame on you HB to worry mothers-to-be.Like our worries weren’t enough.

Lily

Posted at 5:02 PM on July 25, 2011

I meant heatlhy, *happy* and chubby.