Kate Gosselin Warns Moms About The Dangers Of Fertility Treatments: Look What Happened To Me!

Thu, July 21, 2011 11:45am EDT by 5 Comments

The mom-of-eight wouldn’t have a reality show empire if it wasn’t for her adorable kiddies — but she reveals it wasn’t her plan!

Kate Gosselin wouldn’t change a thing about her life. But the TLC reality star of Kate Plus 8 tells HuffPo’s Rob Shuter that all mommies need to think long and hard before getting fertility treatments to help speed up the pregnancy process.

“I will say fertility is not a perfected science and I’m going to tell you the same thing I tell any prospective parents that are going through fertility that come to me for advice,” Kate says. “I’ve said it for years. I’ve said be very careful … I am the perfect example of ‘the doctor had it under control‘ and we ended up with sextuplets. We were shocked to death and so I just tell everyone to be extra, super, super cautious.”

Kate and her ex-husband Jon Gosselin gave birth to twin girls Mady and Cara, 11, in 2000 after using fertility treatments because Kate was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. The just four years later, Kate’s six little blessings: Alexis, Hannah, Aaden, Collin, Leah and Joel were born.

“Jon and I believe that every life, whether seconds old after conception or a full forty-week term, robustly healthy or horribly sick, fully developed or severely challenged — every life is designed and ordained from God,” Kate wrote in her book Multiple Blessings. “We would therefore never consider choosing to end that life in any way at any time. Period.”

— Chloe Melas

More Kate Gosselin:

1. Kate Gosselin Says: My Tummy Tuck Is The Best Decision I’ve Ever Made!
  2. ‘Katie Plus Eighty’ Coming to ABC?! Katie Couric Spoofs ‘Kate Plus 8?!
  3. ‘Kate Plus 8? Recap: Kate Gosselin Plans The Sextuplets 7th Birthday In Five Days & Sends Them On An Easter Egg Hunt!

Jamie

Posted at 11:39 PM on August 6, 2011

just because she got pregnant with all those kids doesnt mean she had to give birth to them

Molly

Posted at 1:47 PM on July 21, 2011

Uhhh, some people actually selectively reduce the number of fetuses they’re carrying. The female human body is not designed to carry multiples, much less litters, and fetuses that are multiples often have developmental disorders and health problems because they end up sharing the womb and competing for resources. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of Kate’s children are diagnosed with cognitive or developmental delays as children.

You never see the twin that is too profoundly challenged in public, and mothers assume that being pregnant with twins is just a two for one deal. Dr. Drew and his wife did IVF and they implanted five embryos in her. One failed and they selectively reduced the other one to give their kids the best chance at being mentally and physically healthy.

Beth

Posted at 3:55 PM on July 21, 2011

Do you have twins?I do and they were conceived the old fashion way. Sometimes you cannot control what the body does and you do your best to make sure both make it to this world safely. Neither of mine are ‘proufoundly challenged’ and even if one was I would take her out with her sister no matter what! I also never though two for one, I thought this is going to be harder on my body but I will do my best to make sure my girls are healthy and have the best chance. I am not knocking your comment but sometimes these things happen without the help of drugs. (not sextuplets like Kate though!)

Courtney

Posted at 12:03 PM on July 21, 2011

what’s so bad about using fertility if you really want kids and are having trouble conceiving or conceiving again after a loss. the fact that Kate is honest about her struggles to have chldren is refreshing most people either in the public eye by choice or thrust into it aren’t that open granted there’s only been fertility assistence since 1973 before that you either had kids if yo cod or adopted if you couldn’t like for example Joan Crawford had 3 adopted daughters and an Adopted son Christina Christopher Cindy & Cathy

NO WIRE HANGERS, EVER!!!

Posted at 1:46 PM on July 21, 2011

yes and joan crawford used and beat those kids. ever see the movie. just like liar kate knew she wanted as many as she could get for money. she knew the twins wouldn’t cut it. an octomom who is now claiming she hates kids. there are too many kids brought into the world who have no one. adopt one. give someone already here a chance.