Maci Bookout Leaving 'Teen Mom' For Bentley? 'I Don't Want To Steal His Childhood!'

Wed, July 20, 2011 9:41am EDT by 41 Comments

Will Maci go ahead with a heartbreaking decision to leave MTV behind? Should she? Would YOU?

It sounds like one of Teen Mom‘s tiniest tykes might not be gracing the small screen for much longer. Maci Bookout is worried about 2-year-old Bentley growing up in the spotlight and is thoughtfully planning out his exit from reality TV. Do you think she’s making the right choice?

“I don’t want to steal his childhood,” Maci, 19, tells Life & Style magazine. “I don’t know if being on TV in elementary school would be difficult for him. I want him to have a normal life.”

Although it might not be happening soon, Maci’s decision to leave behind her MTV life will be a difficult one, especially considering Bentley LOVES being on camera!

“He actually enjoys it,” Maci admits. “Bentley thinks it’s cool to watch himself on TV and to have the cameras around.”

But still, Maci knows that her $60,000 a season paycheck isn’t worth the risk of ruining her son’s childhood, especially when he is old enough to notice that his mommy and daddy, Ryan Edwards, are constantly fighting.

“I think there’ll come a time when he’ll be like, ‘Mom, we’re not normal! Why does everyone want to take my picture? Why does everyone know my name, but I don’t know them?'” Maci confesses. And although that time will be tough, Maci will decide what to do when Bentley’s concern arises, even if it will change her life.

“Without the show, I would have had to have a full-time job and be in school full-time, and I’d rarely get to spend time with Bentley,” Maci says. “It’s been difficult, but it’s also been a big blessing.”

Do you think Maci is doing the right thing by taking Bentley away from the cameras?

–Leigh Blickley

More ‘Teen Mom’ on HollyBaby:

1. ‘Teen Mom’ Preview: Maci’s Ex Ryan Asks To Meet Her New Boyfriend, Kyle!
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Recap: Amber Faces Legal Troubles, Farrah Fights For Sophia’s Rights, & Maci’s Men Meet!
  3. ‘Teen Mom’ Exes Get Their Own MTV Show! Will You Watch?

Taylor Dixon

Posted at 7:26 PM on April 22, 2012

Maci Please Dont Leave I Will Stop Watching Teen Mom If Yuu Leave Don’t Pleaseee

Taylor Dixon

Posted at 7:25 PM on April 22, 2012

nooo, maci& Bentley and Ryan are actually my only favorite characters on the show. and if she leaves ill just stop watching it in all<3 Pleaseeeee Don't Leave

samantha

Posted at 12:56 PM on October 19, 2011

Maci and Caitlyn are the only reason why i watch it… It would suck without her! And bentley… He’s so cute! But maci knows whats best for her child so its her decision… But her and bentley will be missed!

jasmine

Posted at 8:06 AM on August 20, 2011

I get it she doesnt want Bently to miss childhood but that show does help provide a nice life for them as bently grows he would understand that and if anything i would save money and stop when he starts school hes far from beginning school but she is mom so whatever she feels is best wish her the best also she could continue on the show until she graduates college so shes not worried about funds or working while in school just a thought but i will miss them i love maci,kyle,bently

Allison

Posted at 4:01 PM on August 4, 2011

Maci is a good mom and MTV sure is cheap paying them $60,000 a season.

Morgan

Posted at 11:17 PM on August 3, 2011

nooo, maci&bentley and ryan are actually my only favorite characters on the show. and if she leaves ill just stop watching it in all

Carolyn

Posted at 11:57 PM on August 2, 2011

I think it will be the right thing for Maci to do, she is a very good Mother to Bentley and is only concerned for his well-being. Maybe Ryan’s Mom and Dad will stop pushing him into taking Maci to court. I think his family want to be seen more on TV for their 15 minutes of fame. Ryan didn’t give a plug nickle about Bentley when he and Maci were living together, Now he is crying about spending more time with him, what a douche and his family too. Did anyone besides me notice his Mothers’ poor acting job when she faked that cry tonight?

Allison

Posted at 4:04 PM on August 4, 2011

You are right. I always believe these deadbeat fathers come back just so they can be on tv but hey it backfires on them and everyone can see just what bums they are.

Melisa

Posted at 11:55 PM on July 31, 2011

I only watch Teen Mom to see her =) although it would be sad to see her go. If I was in her shoes I think I would leave too!

Alexus

Posted at 8:10 PM on July 23, 2011

I Want Maci To Stay, I Love Watching Her And Bentley. Bentley is SOO Cute

Shelly

Posted at 7:13 PM on July 22, 2011

I would miss seeing them cause she is my favorite along with Catelynn but she knows what’s best for her child. I think that by the time he is in school the show will be old news anyway.

Jackie

Posted at 6:37 PM on July 22, 2011

i think it is a good thing what Maci is doing :)
its going to suck to not have her on the show because she was the only mother who actually loves and cares for her baby truly…
its stupid how they keep making more and more episodes for it since supposedly the whole POINT of making the show was to show teenagers to NOT get pregnant at a young age but YET the teens wanna get pregnant to BE ON TV and get money DUH!

Janet

Posted at 6:29 PM on July 22, 2011

I love Maci she is the best one for sure, This show does NOT promote teens having kids it does show the heartache and how hard it is to raise a kid. Man if this opportunity was out when I was a teen and had my son I so would have done the same thing to get money for my sons future. She is very smart and she will be supported either way she goes with this. Good Luck Maci with everything.. You are an amazing person.

Josie

Posted at 6:17 PM on July 22, 2011

I THINK SHE MADE A GOOD CHOICE STOPPING THIS BEFORE HE GOT ANY OLDER I WILL MISS SEE THEM ON TV BUT AT LEAST NOW HE CAN BE A KID WITH THE WHOLE WORLD SEEING WHAT HES DOING AND THERE NOT BAD FOR GOING ON THE SHOW THEY DID IT FOR THE MONEY THATS IF THEY GOT MONEY BUT THERES GOING TO BE ONE PROBLEM BENTLY GROW UP BEING ON TV ITS GOING TO BE A BIG CHANGE AND HE MIGHT NOT LIKE IT AT FIRST BUT HE WILL THANK HER WHEN HE GETS OLDER

Erin

Posted at 2:00 PM on July 22, 2011

No way! I love Bentley and Maci. Bentley is my favorite kid on Teen Mom. And I understand her concern for Bentley, but if he loves being on camera, and seeing himself on TV, and what the show is, then he’ll know why people that he doesn’t know, knows him. But I really love Bentley. I don’t want to not see him. Teen Mom wouldn’t be the same without Bentley and Maci.

Jen Delor

Posted at 1:16 PM on July 22, 2011

I really have grown to admire Maci and her decision making. She always puts her son first. I think that making the decision to leave the show is the best thing she could do for Bentley. My hope is that things do work out for Kyle & her. He seems very level headed and I think that he would take very good care of her & Bentley. He does act more like Bentley’s father. I had been through the same thing & was actually adopted by my dad. I still had a relationship with my biological father but that did not occur until way later in life when I think he was finally ready. I’m 35 yrs old now & grateful for the decisions that were made for me when I was younger. Maci is an amazing mother.

Blake

Posted at 11:03 AM on July 22, 2011

OH PLEASE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!! He’s 2!!!! I pretty much damn well guarantee that by the time that kid is in school Teen Mom will be off the air. She’s TOO LATE to pull the plug now. EVERYONE knows who he is. It’s not like people are going to FORGET that he was on TV. It’s not like the moms of the kids in school are going to forget!!!

She’s a total idiot!!! The only good thing she’s done is to find men to supplement her lifestyle so she never has to have a “real job.” She’d better STAY on that damn show as long as they’ll have her and keep cashing those $60,000 checks for doing absolutely nothing!

Blake

Posted at 11:01 AM on July 22, 2011

OH PLEASE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!!

Jessi

Posted at 8:55 AM on July 22, 2011

Who cares? I really doubt Teen Mom will last too much longer, definitely not long enough for the kids to be in school and on the show. But everyone will always know them in their towns as the children from that show, damage is already done there but I’m not certain if it’s truly a bad thing for the kids. Only time will tell…

Angelika

Posted at 10:05 PM on July 21, 2011

The only type of trouble these girls have is man trouble, don’t have money trouble, they get their own apartments, their parents watch the kids all the time. This is not how the average teen mom lives and any teen who thinks it is, is a total moron.

Chelsea

Posted at 8:16 PM on July 20, 2011

I would hate to see Bently &Maci leave the show! I pretty much only watch it for them, but if it’s the best for Bently &herself i would support her in whatever she chooses. But i hope she keeps the Maci Bookout’s Official Fanapge, &let us know how herself &Bently is doing. But she needs to do whatever she thinks it best.

slut

Posted at 7:04 PM on July 20, 2011

she famous cause she got knocked up and preg. and all the other kids will make fun off hes mom and him for being such a slut

once,a,teenmom

Posted at 9:14 PM on July 20, 2011

Why call. Her a slut? Lots of. Girls are teen
Mom that don’t make u a slut. Sorry to tell hour
I think u need to grow up

Michelle White

Posted at 6:03 PM on July 20, 2011

Maci is an amazing mother. Even though Teen Mom will not be the same without her, she is making the right choice for Bently :)

Mackenzie

Posted at 5:43 PM on July 20, 2011

I don’t think she needs to leave, because they’re filming their 4th and final season.

Bex

Posted at 5:16 PM on July 20, 2011

I think fair enough if the girls wanted to be on 16 and pregnant, but having their children pretty much live their young childhood on tv’s is too far. They can’t decide for themselves if they want this life for their future.

me

Posted at 7:56 PM on July 20, 2011

i agree, she is thinking about her son, unlike some one (kate gosselin) who only thinks of herself!

ME

Posted at 11:57 AM on July 21, 2011

people are so jealous, they make money for being on tv and they should, mtv is making millions of these kids and why shouldnt these kids get that money! your just jealous, the babys cant make the choices but its the same as any other famous person, the price of fame is loosing your privacy, that is why you get paid so much money, I would rather grow up with no privacy and have millions than have no money and be able to live a normal life, and what the hell is a normal life these days, I cant imagine they have that much paparazzi in these hick towns, enough with all the haters!!

susan williams

Posted at 10:22 AM on July 20, 2011

i think they made a big mistakes putting theses girls on tv. they make it seem ok to get knocked up . get on a show that pays you. sorry i hope she does stop being on there. if she wants to be on tv be on a diff show. go to L.A and become a actor. i like her but it seems that young girls see it as apaycheck and to be on tv.

Lori

Posted at 11:53 AM on July 20, 2011

your stupid, Jealous?

Teacher

Posted at 12:04 PM on July 20, 2011

‘Your’ is possessive. You should have used the contraction ‘you’re’ because it means ‘you are.’ Yet you call someone else stupid.

Lori

Posted at 3:40 PM on July 20, 2011

Suck on one!! Did I do that OK?

Well then.

Posted at 10:28 AM on July 21, 2011

You are an idiot.

Amber

Posted at 7:50 PM on July 20, 2011

I love that ^

kyndall

Posted at 11:58 AM on July 20, 2011

Ummm…. they don’t get huge paychecks, like the show suggests

That would completely ruin the purpose of the show!

BMcM

Posted at 12:46 PM on July 20, 2011

what 19 year old in the real world makes $60,000 in a year… I’d say that’s a pretty good sized paycheck! At least she is thinking about his future, which is more than I could say about some of the other ones.

clynn

Posted at 5:20 PM on July 20, 2011

they do get a big pay check… amber gets a reported 160,000 for season three cause she had to submit that to the courts and that is public

Ciara

Posted at 3:37 PM on July 21, 2011

They DO NOT make it seem ok to get knocked up. They show teens how HARD it is to have a child. I believe all these girls had the best intentions on this show. They wanted to make a difference. And I believe they have.

Amanda

Posted at 6:39 PM on July 22, 2011

I agree! Im 21 and have a 1 year old daughter and even I relate to these girls in many ways. Everything that they show the teen moms going through is really hard emotionally and physically. I dont see in any way how mtv has glamourized teen pregnancy. It’s a reality check to young woman and teens out there saying “this is the way it is when you get pregnant at a young age”… which is no way easy.