Kirstie Alley Let Her 17-Year-Old Daughter Smoke In Front Of Her — She Should Be Ashamed Of Herself!

Mon, July 18, 2011 2:17pm EDT by 8 Comments

Kirstie allows her daughter to light up without saying anything — what kind of parent lets this happen?

Kirstie Alley has been a beacon of health recently, since she shed a tremendous amount of weight during her stint on Dancing With The Stars. In fact, she’s looked happier than ever! But when it comes to parenting, her good habits don’t extend to her children!

Kirstie, 60, was spotted in New York City on July 17 sitting on a balcony with her 17-year-old daughter Lillie. And we couldn’t help but notice she was just watching her daughter smoke without stopping her!

Kirstie — not only is smoking bad, but Lillie isn’t even old enough to buy cigarettes! Even if you can’t stop her from smoking while she’s out with her friends, don’t just sit there and condone the behavior. After all, the World Health Organization says tobacco is the leading cause of death in the developed world — and it’s totally preventable!

What do you think, HollywoodMoms — would you stop your child from smoking if they did it in front of you?

– William Earl

More Kirstie!

1. Kirstie Alley Is So Skinny: She’s Wearing The Same Dress Victoria Beckham Wore!
  2. Kirstie Alley and ‘DWTS’ Maksim Chmerkovskiy Party at NYC’s Avenue — Exclusive Details!
  3. Kirstie Alley Gained 12 Pounds Back After ‘DWTS’ — A Fitness Expert Reveals How To Keep The Weight Off!

joeblow

Posted at 8:39 AM on August 3, 2012

Oh my God, stop the presses! Call in the authorities! This ground breaking news. Why didn’t I hear about it. Let’s protest and boycott old episodes of Cheers. Actually, who gives a flying f?

Dena

Posted at 11:50 PM on June 4, 2012

Isn’t the idea suppose to be i want more for my children, than i had growing up. Sometimes young people want their parents to say something, anything, even if they think at the time this is what i want,and everyone should just but out. But you are suppose to be their parent , their protecter, their since of reasoning. Just because past generations did things a certain way, really does not make it right, like partying with your kids and thinking, it’s not hurting anyone or atleast i know where my child is while their doing these things. If you where not taught certain things growing up, you can look around at others and see you really don’t want to make these bad habits a family tradition, you know down deep inside, your wish that some one would have cared and stopped you from doing a thing or two (or more) in your past. Just say i love you, and please don’t do these things. And i can not be your buddy and NO i will not buy these things for you, I care to much for your life to do that.

Susan Truax

Posted at 6:09 PM on November 29, 2011

I also let all of my girls smoke. I am a smoker too. We love our Marlboro red 100’s. I would let my girls smoke even if i did not. It is not a big deal. if your kids want to smoke, they are going to smoke. I remember the first time i took a cigarette from my mom lit it in front of her and pretty much asked her what she was going to do about it. she was a smoker, so she was fine with it. she is still a smoker to this day. I have been smoking now for 26 years and am still loving it! I smoke my brains out everyday. I chain-smoke. I smoke about 4 packs a day. My oldest girl smokes almost 5 packs a day right now.

Becky

Posted at 8:23 AM on January 3, 2012

It really is Kristys daughters choice if she wants to smoke or not, especially at 17. If she wants to start chainsmoking in another six months or so when she turns 18, then there’s nothing to stop her.

People need to stop being so judgmental about smokers, even teenage smokers, and more smokers need to standup for their rights. My hairdresser has been a heavy smoker for almost twenty years since she was in middle school, about 13, and she usually smokes between 2 and a half to three packs a day – but she feels ashamed of her addiction and used to lie and claim to only smoke “a pack and a half a day”.

Why lie about it?! Society has made people feel guilty for what they rightfully chose to do, and if someone wants to enjoy smoking, yes even a 17 year old, then people shouldnt barrage her so much!

Honestly the legal age of consent for intercourse is 16 or 17 in most US states, and people are fine with that; just like the smoking age in many european countries is 16 and loosely enforced at best, so why should it matter if a 17 year old girl wants to smoke?!

JUDI

Posted at 3:51 PM on August 5, 2012

I HAVE THREE DAUGHTERS AND THEY ALL SMOKE 14,18,22 I ALSO SMOKE HAVE SINCE SIXTH GRADE .I LOVE SMOKING WITH MY GIRLS 3 PACKS A DAY I WOULD NEVER TELL MY DAUGHTERS NOT TO SMOKE IT’S VERY ENJOYABLE. MY OLDEST ALSO CHAIN SMOKES TWO CARTONS A WEEK. SO LEAVE ALLEY ALONE.

Zeinq

Posted at 5:38 AM on July 23, 2011

I see no point in being rude to Kirstie Alley about her daughter’s habits. It’s not like she forced her to smoke in the first place. I’m sure she sat down with her daughter and talked about it calmly, LIKE ALL PARENTS SHOULD. Everyone makes their own choices and mistakes, and Kirstie knows that. Plus, her daughter isn’t that far away from the legal age to smoke. If I had a kid, I’d rather them do their bad habits around me, instead of behind my back. It’s called honesty, and it looks like Kirstie and her daughter are really close. Her daughter chose to smoke, and yes, she would have done it anyways even if Kirstie threw a fit about it. Its probably not easy being under a microscope all the time, which drives A LOT of celebrities to drugs, alcohol, and even smoking. Leave them to their own devices, and stop condemning them for the little things. Lilly has a right to make her own choices in life, and if smoking is one of them, nobody can stop her. I say hurrah to Kirstie for being a good mother and accepting her daughter for who she is and what her faults are.

J

Posted at 11:23 PM on July 18, 2011

I agree with m. She’s going to smoke whether Kristie says no or allows it. I smoked when I was well underage and the best thing my mother said was “I’m not going to tell you that you can’t smoke because you’ll just want to do it that much more, just don’t smoke in the house” Smoking actually lost a lot of its appeal to me because after that it wasn’t so rebellous.

m

Posted at 10:45 PM on July 18, 2011

if shes smoking, shes going to do it with or without her mothers permission. for all we know, kirstie may have strongly urged her not to smoke, but at what cost is ostrisizing your own child if its in vain? if shes going to smoke shes going to. and kirstie cant stop her. so if she is chooseing that, kirstie can voice her opinion but thats about it.