Mom Found Guilty Of MURDERING Daughter, 2, Who Was Strangled To Death By A Starving Pet Python!

Fri, July 15, 2011 9:45am EDT by 13 Comments

SplashNews.com

Jaren Hare found her daughter Shaianna dead in her cot in 2009 with the 8 feet 6 inch long Burmese python Gypsy wrapped around her neck. An autopsy revealed the snake hadn’t been fed in a MONTH and was trying to eat the toddler!

Jaren, 21, was found guilty on Thursday of third degree murder and is now facing up to 35 years in prison. Is that a fair sentence?

A Florida jury took just two hours to convict Jaren Hare and her boyfriend Charles Darnell, 34, who was found guilty of manslaughter and child neglect.

Jaren’s attorney insisted, ‘That event will shadow her for the rest of her life. There’s not a scintilla of evidence that Jaren Ashley Hare was ever a bad mother.

“We’re talking about Gypsy, a pet that turned killer. Did she look at this and say ‘Gee, is this potentially a killer animal that’s going to kill us all?’ No, that was not her mindset.”

But the prosecution insisted the couple were at fault for leaving their child exposed to a wild, killer, animal, especially one that hadn’t been fed in a month! A prosecutor told the court, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist. If that kind of snake will take down an alligator, it will eat something else – even a small two-year-old girl.”

Hare and Darnell wept when the verdict was read out on July 14. They will be sentenced at a later date.

Is this a fair verdict, HollyMoms? What would be an appropriate sentence?

– Ian Garland

More on HollyBaby:

1. Leiby Kletsky Killer’s Chilling Confession: ‘I Understand This May Be Wrong, I’m Sorry For The Hurt I Have Caused’
  2. Girl, 3, Shoots Herself With Her Dad’s Shotgun, After He Left Her Home Alone To Visit His Girlfriend!
  3. Does The Government Have The Right To Take Away Your Child If He or She Is Obese?

Tiffinyz

Posted at 11:14 PM on January 10, 2012

I’m coming late to this discussion, I just stumbled across this story. But I felt compelled to make a few comments. I do believe the punishment is much to harsh. There should definitely be consequences but this woman did not intentionally harm her child. That being said I was very suprised that people that claim to have large snakes did not mention the real issue. It is not at all unusual to not feed large snakes for several months. It is not cruel or starving them. Even Zoos dont feed thier large snakes every month. The real issue is that pythons are incredibly strong and are escape artists. This snake was obviously not properly secured. And for that reason I do belive that some negligence did occur.

ashley

Posted at 12:27 PM on July 17, 2011

she should have never left the snake alone with the child, i think the sentence is harsh, she gets 35 years while Casey Anthony gets of free, very unfair

val

Posted at 12:26 PM on July 17, 2011

Well it sure seems the Casey Anthony trial had the WRONG jury -they must have drove the van to the WRONG courthouse- had they been switched, the proper verdict would have took place in BOTH locations of FLORIDA! There must be a village missing 12+12= 24 IDIOTS!

Andia

Posted at 2:06 PM on July 16, 2011

Okay, I understand she shouldn’t have left the snake starving around a child. She should be punished for that. But it wasn’t her intentions to kill her child. It’s just funny how they took two hours to say she is going to jail for manslaughter, but Casey Anthony got away free. I don’t understand that.

Lola

Posted at 1:00 PM on July 16, 2011

Depending on what the snake ate on a regular basis, it was most likely not starving after only a month. I have a 7+ foot boa and she won’t eat any sooner than 2 weeks. I usually wait 3-4 weeks so she doesn’t refuse food. It’s normal.

Lola

Posted at 1:03 PM on July 16, 2011

Hungry after one month, yes, but starving, no. My point is that one month isn’t as long as everybody is making it out to be.

Sammywhammy

Posted at 8:17 AM on July 16, 2011

So they are guilty which is great! But they did noit put the snake in the babys cot and yet they are guilty? So whyy did Casey Anthony not get punished for killing her daughter then! Florida is ridiculous!

Kasey

Posted at 9:27 PM on July 15, 2011

I completely think this is too harsh of a sentence. The mother has lost a child and will have to live the rest of her life knowing it was due to her negligence and stupidity. Is she guilty of that, yes! But manslaughter is pushing it.

Barbara

Posted at 8:15 PM on July 16, 2011

You’re stupid!

Lykke

Posted at 5:23 PM on July 15, 2011

I can’t belive that they didn’t get convicted for animal cruelty! I stronglt believe that if the animal had been fed proberly, it wouldn’t have killed the girl.

JJB

Posted at 10:24 AM on July 15, 2011

May u burn and rot in the fires of hell the pair of you u discust me treating a snake in such a manner

lynn

Posted at 10:42 AM on July 15, 2011

JJB, I hope you’re joking! You’re actually upset about how the snake was treated, but not a word about the fact that a 2-year-old was murdered! What were they doing with a deadly snake in the house anyway?! Obvious white trash!

decmom05

Posted at 12:38 PM on July 15, 2011

WOW ! this may be a harsh sentence in some minds but in my mind, I would NEVER leave a snake , a hungry dangerous, snake in my home where it can access my baby!!! A good mom wouldn’t even leave a potentially dangerous dog on the loose around their baby… this is messed and clearly they we’re neglectful parents who we’re not concerned for their baby’s safety at all!! and why the hell weren’t they feeding that snake? poor baby,my heart goes out to her and I hope she found peace with god xoxoxo